Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 ... LastLast
    Fantastic Member

Well, absolutely! There is actually a history of Huntress being black, but you cast the black actress to play "Black" Canary...just like Black Panther and Black Lightning. Just switch them around; you can still have your diverse cast, but this just comes off to me as seriously reductive and borderline offensive.

Ultimate Member

Also supposedly they're looking at Ewan McGregor and Sharlto Copley to play the villain. Personally I'd love to see Ewan get it, plus he and Winstead worked together (among other things) on Fargo Season 3.

Quote Originally Posted by Stromberg View Post
    Well, absolutely! There is actually a history of Huntress being black, but you cast the black actress to play "Black" Canary...just like Black Panther and Black Lightning. Just switch them around; you can still have your diverse cast, but this just comes off to me as seriously reductive and borderline offensive.
    They also cast a black actor for Manchester Black on "Supergirl". Yeah... I know.

This whole Birds of Prey movie feels like a complete mess already. Why the hell they didn't just do Gotham City Sirens if they were going to use Harley as a main character is beyond me. Instead they plugged her into Batgirls role. And now of course they had to try to appease the masses by doing color-blind casting for Black Canary... I have no idea who this actress is, and maybe she's great and maybe she'll be great- but for fucks sake, couldn't they have cast her as Huntress and literally ANYONE ELSE as Black Canary? They tried this color blind casting shit with Susan Storm in the first two Fantastic Four movies, and that didn't work either (and nothing I'm hearing is telling me that BoP will be any better than those two movies).

Ultimate Member

You're REALLY stretching with that Sue Storm analogy, like ridiculously so.

Birds of Prey casting looks great. 3 fantastic actresses
    The J-man

Quote Originally Posted by Stromberg View Post
    With Black Panther and Black lightning being black men does it really make sense for Black Canary to be a white woman though? Yes, she is white in the comic books. But she was created at a time when
    black characters didn't really exist in comic books. Now they can correct that mistake.

A white character called Black Canary is not a "mistake" that needs to be "corrected". Looking to specifically raceswap characters who have "black" in their code name seems just as ridiculous and out of touch as it would be if every black comic character specifically had "black" in their code name. Black Cyborg. Black Vixen. Black Bumblebee. Black Lantern. Black Steel. Black Falcon. Black Blade. Black Storm. Black Bishop. Sounds kind of offensive, doesn't it.
    Last edited by Johnny; 09-26-2018 at 04:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    With Black Panther and Black lightning being black men does it really make sense for Black Canary to be a white woman though? Yes, she is white in the comic books. But she was created at a time when
    black characters didn't really exist in comic books. Now they can correct that mistake.
    There wasn't any kind of "mistake."

The first two characters were designed as black Superheroes for black audiences, Black Canary was not.

I'm not saying that it's wrong to cast her as a different race then a white woman, but her being white wasn't any kind of wrong or mistake.

Fantastic Member

Does that also mean that they need to correct the "mistake" of not having Blue Beetle have blue skin?
    Seriously right now!?

Well here's an idea. They can 'correct that mistake' by creating NEW characters, and leave the classic characters alone. Or even do what they did on Arrow, have a Black Canary, but make her Dinah Drake. Or make her a completely new character taking up the mantle.

Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post
    Well here's an idea. They can 'correct that mistake' by creating NEW characters, and leave the classic characters alone. Or even do what they did on Arrow, have a Black Canary, but make her Dinah Drake. Or make her a completely new character taking up the mantle.
    It certainly wouldn't hurt to see DC promote their actual black heroes and heroines on the big-screen.

Heck, Vixen was attached to the Birds of Prey at certain points.

That makes absolute no sense. Blue Beetle isn't an actual blue person, the name shouldn't dictate skin color.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

Shame on Dc for not actually making green arrow a green person!

Good news. Battle angel moves to feb. Bad news. Deadpool 2: pg-13 cut (complete with princess bride spoof photo and maybe new footage just for it) moves in it's place. So aquaman now has to fight two marvel films at the same time and transformers that was a marvel comic!

https://io9.gizmodo.com/a-pg-13-cut-...ece-1829399772