Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415161718 LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post
    This whole Birds of Prey movie feels like a complete mess already. Why the hell they didn't just do Gotham City Sirens if they were going to use Harley as a main character is beyond me. Instead they plugged her into Batgirls role. And now of course they had to try to appease the masses by doing color-blind casting for Black Canary... I have no idea who this actress is, and maybe she's great and maybe she'll be great- but for fucks sake, couldn't they have cast her as Huntress and literally ANYONE ELSE as Black Canary? They tried this color blind casting shit with Susan Storm in the first two Fantastic Four movies, and that didn't work either (and nothing I'm hearing is telling me that BoP will be any better than those two movies).
    LOL lost me there

Astonishing Member TooFlyToFail's Avatar

What is this race debate?

Outrage culture is getting annoying, on both sides. Either it's a PC agenda, or someone is a bigot for having an opinion. In regards to these race bending casting, to make it neutral, how about this:

1) Is the character from a real place, with real ethnic population numbers?

2) Is the race of the character important to plot?

3) Is the race critical to their characterization and development?

4) Does race play a part in their interactions with other characters?

If the answers to all, or most of, those questions are "No.", then the role can go to anyone, as long as they earned it or are talented enough for the role.
    Last edited by TooFlyToFail; 09-29-2018 at 08:07 PM.

Astonishing Member TooFlyToFail's Avatar

This whole Birds of Prey movie feels like a complete mess already. Why the hell they didn't just do Gotham City Sirens if they were going to use Harley as a main character is beyond me. Instead they plugged her into Batgirls role. And now of course they had to try to appease the masses by doing color-blind casting for Black Canary... I have no idea who this actress is, and maybe she's great and maybe she'll be great- but for fucks sake, couldn't they have cast her as Huntress and literally ANYONE ELSE as Black Canary? They tried this color blind casting shit with Susan Storm in the first two Fantastic Four movies, and that didn't work either (and nothing I'm hearing is telling me that BoP will be any better than those two movies).
    The race of the actors had no bearing on the quality of the movie.

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    Good news. Battle angel moves to feb. Bad news. Deadpool 2: pg-13 cut (complete with princess bride spoof photo and maybe new footage just for it) moves in it's place. So aquaman now has to fight two marvel films at the same time and transformers that was a marvel comic!

https://io9.gizmodo.com/a-pg-13-cut-...ece-1829399772
    I think Alita was going to do more damage than a re-release of Deadpool 2 especially since people think Deadpool 1 was better. However, I have no idea if people are willing to double dip for Deadpool 2.

Also apparently Aquaman is releasing 7 days before the US date in the UK. Has this happened before?

people in here trying to pretend like Jessica aAlba wasn't the best part of those Fantastic Four films.

This is why comic fans can't be happy. She literally looks like she was plucked form the comics, As did Mara in the last casting
    The J-man

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    people in here trying to pretend like Jessica aAlba wasn't the best part of those Fantastic Four films.

This is why comic fans can't be happy. She literally looks like she was plucked form the comics, As did Mara in the last casting
    Chris Evans and Michael Chiklis were the best parts of the movie and you can see why the former got a chance to play another Marvel character.

Looking like a character and being able to play them are two different things.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Jessica Alba was too young to be Sue but she did a good job from the point of view of someone who doesn't know Fantastic Four and the best part of that movie was the family dynamic.

???

I bet Black Canary fans wish for such a woman of color to play BC :P

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    With Black Panther and Black lightning being black men does it really make sense for Black Canary to be a white woman though? Yes, she is white in the comic books. But she was created at a time when
    black characters didn't really exist in comic books. Now they can correct that mistake.
    Don't you think it a little racist to suggest Laurence Fishburne should not have played Perry White? oO

I do know thats not what you meant but sadly this will start to get accepted in other directions and before you realize it you will have Chris Evans play John Henry Irons STEEL which would put me into a really nasty rant mode.
    Last edited by The_Lurk; 09-30-2018 at 01:02 AM.

Mighty Member

I like Black Canary. I also dig the actress. But I would have much rather her play someone else. Making a white character black just feels cheap, like we aren't good enough to have heroes to call our own. But then again, Black Canary's race isn't crucial to her character. It's tricky. Either way, I'm rooting for her.
    Imagine being proud to have negative traits. I can’t relate.

DC: Justice League, The Flash, Justice League Dark, Superman, Action Comics, Green Arrow, Justice League Odyssey, The Terrifics, Teen Titans, Titans, Brimstone, Female Furies, Damage, Heroes In Crisis

Marvel: The Punisher, Cosmic Ghost Rider, Venom, X-23, Cloak and Dagger, Jessica Jones, Sentry

Indies: Unnatural, Jeepers Creepers, Project Superpowers, Black Hammer, Ninja-K

Quote Originally Posted by The Anti-Geek View Post
    I like Black Canary. I also dig the actress. But I would have much rather her play someone else. Making a white character black just feels cheap, like we aren't good enough to have heroes to call our own. But then again, Black Canary's race isn't crucial to her character. It's tricky. Either way, I'm rooting for her.
    Agreed with everything here.

There are characters where it can make sense to racebend them—Wonder Woman is one of them. There are characters where racebending them would mean totally rebuilding the character—Superman and Batman are examples. And then you have the characters who are sort of in-between, like Black Canary or Catwoman.

Anyway, I'm hoping Birds of Prey ends up decent, but I'm not having much hope.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Lurk View Post

Don't you think it a little racist to suggest Laurence Fishburne should not have played Perry White? oO

I do know thats not what you meant but sadly this will start to get accepted in other directions and before you realize it you will have Chris Evans play John Henry Irons STEEL which would put me into a really nasty rant mode.
    White is Perry's last name, not his superhero identity. Lots of black people have the last name White. Football players Reggie White and Roddy White, singers Maurice White, Barry White, actors Jaleel White, Michael Jai White.
    It would sort of make sense that Perry White would be black, in that so many black people have the last name of White.

I don't get why Chris Evans would play Steel. Isn't Chris Evans made of flesh and blood, not metal? And isn't the original folk hero John Henry a steel driving black man? Some research even indicates that John Henry was a real
    person. I see nothing to suggest that Steel should really be a white man. Nothing in the name suggests it anyway. If anything the John Henry part of the name requires the character be black. Especially if John Henry was a
    real person.

No issues with the casting, many issues with mashing together Gotham City Sirens and Birds of Prey in a way that I'm sure will diminish the best parts of both series.

DC Films at it again!

Quote Originally Posted by WhipWhirlwind View Post
    No issues with the casting, many issues with mashing together Gotham City Sirens and Birds of Prey in a way that I'm sure will diminish the best parts of both series.

DC Films at it again!
    Maybe Gotham City Sirens will be a spin-off of Birds of Prey.

Quote Originally Posted by Stromberg View Post
    Well, absolutely! There is actually a history of Huntress being black, but you cast the black actress to play "Black" Canary...just like Black Panther and Black Lightning. Just switch them around; you can still have your diverse cast, but this just comes off to me as seriously reductive and borderline offensive.
    WB wanted to cast a bi-racial woman as Black Canary from word "go"! It is not important that Black Canary be a white blonde. It never has been, and in the DCEU it's clear that she isn't. WB has made it clear that going forward, they are going to make these films reflect the audiences that come to see the films. I don't see anyone getting upset because about a white woman like Sara Lance calling herself the White Canary. Also, there is no real "history" of Huntress being black. In the New 52 (which only lasted for 6 years) Huntress was a bi-racial Black Italian. That's actually a newer iteration of the character, not historic; for decades she's been a white woman and mafia princess, and decades before that she was the daughter of Batman and Catwoman. So, I'm not really sure where your "history" of Huntress being Black comes from.

Again, Robbie and WB have said they wanted a diverse cast for this film, and that's what they're doing: Black, White, Asian, Latino, males and females. I don't know why people are upset because they're doing what they said they would do.

Quote Originally Posted by Castling View Post
    Maybe Gotham City Sirens will be a spin-off of Birds of Prey.
    I guess I mostly don't like shoehorning in Harley into a heroic group, and was really into GCS as more of a hang out movie.