Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 51112131415161718 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by WhipWhirlwind View Post
    I guess I mostly don't like shoehorning in Harley into a heroic group, and was really into GCS as more of a hang out movie.
    I think that's been the biggest issue with Harley for a while now.

Looks like Venom is getting some terrible reviews. I guess WB isn’t the only studio that doesn’t know what the hell theyre doing in regards to superhero flicks. Sony needs to just throw in the towel.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    Looks like Venom is getting some terrible reviews. I guess WB isn’t the only studio that doesn’t know what the hell theyre doing in regards to superhero flicks. Sony needs to just throw in the towel.
    Yeah, Sony is in a league of their own when it comes to botching comic book movies .

Although the Into the Spider-Verse movie is looking pretty good .

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think that's been the biggest issue with Harley for a while now.
    Understatement of the decade.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

Yeah, Sony is in a league of their own when it comes to botching comic book movies .

Forgot The Spider-Verse movie was done by Sony. I guess they aren’t completely creatively bankrupt. That movie is going to be huge. I’m super worried about Aquaman’s chances for a big box office haul.

Yeah Sony has been spinning their wheels for awhile but I think the Spider-verse might be their new thing.

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    Reviews have been known to be wrong. People need to think for themselves.
    Imagine being proud to have negative traits. I can’t relate.

DC: Justice League, The Flash, Justice League Dark, Superman, Action Comics, Green Arrow, Justice League Odyssey, The Terrifics, Teen Titans, Titans, Brimstone, Female Furies, Damage, Heroes In Crisis

Marvel: The Punisher, Cosmic Ghost Rider, Venom, X-23, Cloak and Dagger, Jessica Jones, Sentry

Indies: Unnatural, Jeepers Creepers, Project Superpowers, Black Hammer, Ninja-K

Quote Originally Posted by The Anti-Geek View Post
    People are thinking for themselves and have been using reviews for decades to use as a tool to help decide to go see a film over just blindly seeing a movie especially with the price of going to a theater now it makes even more sense. This war on critics is the major downsize to "geek culture" becoming to so popular.

It's seldom that reviews are "wrong". But they are always subjective. Though good reviewers (which sadly are rather scarce) give both the pieces/elements they enjoy and what they didn't enjoy, and why. That gives the reader the tools to come to an informed decision.

People do think for themselves, when people refer to reviews, articles, or videos they are simply picking something that says what they believe. It's basically just shorthand, instead of typing out everything they want to say they just find something that says it for them.

Mighty Member

That all may be true. When you treat a reviewer's opinion on something as law then that's a huge problem. All film critics do more harm than good nowadays. I miss real journalism.
    Imagine being proud to have negative traits. I can’t relate.

DC: Justice League, The Flash, Justice League Dark, Superman, Action Comics, Green Arrow, Justice League Odyssey, The Terrifics, Teen Titans, Titans, Brimstone, Female Furies, Damage, Heroes In Crisis

Marvel: The Punisher, Cosmic Ghost Rider, Venom, X-23, Cloak and Dagger, Jessica Jones, Sentry

Indies: Unnatural, Jeepers Creepers, Project Superpowers, Black Hammer, Ninja-K

That all may be true. When you treat a reviewer's opinion on something as law then that's a huge problem. All film critics do more harm than good nowadays. I miss real journalism.
    Reviews are just opinions, just like the opinion section in a newspaper. Which is real journalism.

Who here is treating other opinions as law? Critics have been around since art was created, trying to brush off criticism as just negative or unimportant is just as bad as believing something is untouchable. Like what you like. Love what you love. Hate what you hate. Dislike what you dislike. Some will agree. Others won't. That's how art and opinions go, it's important to absorb the spectrum of emotions and view points. Saying one view is lesser or brushing it off builds bias which hurts art more than any other kind of opinion. Acting like those people (film critics or whomever) are "ruining" something with an opinion is ludicrous.

Quote Originally Posted by byrd156 View Post
    Reviews are just opinions, just like the opinion section in a newspaper. Which is real journalism.
    Very much agreed with this and the rest of the post.

There is however one piece I want to highlight. Today we have more reviews, and more accessible reviews, than any time before. We have also seen a democratisation of reviews, what used to be said over the phone to a friend is now said on Youtube and can be seen by millions of people.

Thus we have also seen the rise of the reviews-as-entertainment genre, where at its worst the "review" isn't really a review in the classical sense, but entertaining the audience by satirising, making fun of, or exaggerating the process of making a review. In some cases, these are actually good reviews as well (like the best ones by Nostalgia Critic), but for someone looking for actual criticism or reviews they are often so much noise.

Then we have the Rotten Tomatoes score, which really is another kettle of fish, and really should be reworked from scratch if it is to be any use at all.

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    Very much agreed with this and the rest of the post.

There is however one piece I want to highlight. Today we have more reviews, and more accessible reviews, than any time before. We have also seen a democratisation of reviews, what used to be said over the phone to a friend is now said on Youtube and can be seen by millions of people.

Thus we have also seen the rise of the reviews-as-entertainment genre, where at its worst the "review" isn't really a review in the classical sense, but entertaining the audience by satirising, making fun of, or exaggerating the process of making a review. In some cases, these are actually good reviews as well (like the best ones by Nostalgia Critic), but for someone looking for actual criticism or reviews they are often so much noise.

Then we have the Rotten Tomatoes score, which really is another kettle of fish, and really should be reworked from scratch if it is to be any use at all.
    Sure, some reviews are more "professional" than others. Something like Chris Stuckman, Collider, etc. are more credible with actual connections to the industry. While some are just kids voicing stuff they liked and didn't like. There is a lot out there and everyone will flock to whatever they relate to the most. Acting like someone who likes some small youtube channel's style of reviewing isn't any less valid. No matter how "professional", "unprofessional" or "credible" they are.

There are a lot of voices, they have always been there it's just louder since everyone has the same means to speak it to the world. We are all reviewers/critics/fans on this very site. Some of us make actual videos on Youtube, write on blogs, on Twitter, or just keep it to this site.

As for Rotten Tomatoes it's really just an aggregator site, people can post and connect reviews but of course like any system people will abuse it.

Quote Originally Posted by byrd156 View Post
    Sure, some reviews are more "professional" than others. Something like Chris Stuckman, Collider, etc. are more credible with actual connections to the industry. While some are just kids voicing stuff they liked and didn't like. There is a lot out there and everyone will flock to whatever they relate to the most. Acting like someone who likes some small youtube channel's style of reviewing isn't any less valid. No matter how "professional", "unprofessional" or "credible" they are.

There are a lot of voices, they have always been there it's just louder since everyone has the same means to speak it to the world. We are all reviewers/critics/fans on this very site. Some of us make actual videos on Youtube, write on blogs, on Twitter, or just keep it to this site.

As for Rotten Tomatoes it's really just an aggregator site, people can post and connect reviews but of course like any system people will abuse it.
    Personally I like Stuckmann, RLM, and Brad Jones but feel Collider has compromised themselves too much to have good relations with Hollywood.