Thread: Siege Perilous

BANNED

Default Siege Perilous

How do you regard the outback era of the x men which consisted of various crossovers like fall of mutants inferno extinction agenda etc. with x men dying like flies and reviving the same issue or in the next arc or with characters coming and going not to mention the heavily mystic overtones imparted through the advent of the adversary Shadow King inferno and the plot device of characters foreseeing their deaths like psylocke and destiny and the siege perilous the ultimate plot device to reboot the storyline.
    Last edited by theoneandonly; 08-08-2018 at 12:45 AM.

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

The "Siege Perilous" period aka the latter end of the Claremont/Silvestri run, and the early Jim Lee, is one of my favorites in the entire history of the X-Men. Extremely daring, with the team effectively dissolved and with Uncanny spotlighting different characters every handful of issues, with dozens of sub-plots slowly developing and new being introduced almost every issue, all slowly building to huge payoffs which didn't quite pan out due to Claremont leaving (the Shadow King showdown and the Wolverine/Lady Deathstrike duel). It felt like you were really getting your money's worth every single issue as there was SO MUCH going on at all times, and the character work was always top-notch as well.

Astonishing Member Askani's Flame's Avatar

It's one of my favorite time periods for the X-Men. Honestly everything they were doing was new, riveting, dynamic, and keep readers engaged as to what the hell might happen in the next issue. Amazing characters and character development happened during this time period, and we got some fab villains who actually had weight and sinister (see what I did there) tones to what they did. I think only in the KYost X-Force did we see villains engage with just outright murder and destruction as we saw here with Sinister, the Reavers, Genosha, etc.

I'm just finishing this arch in my re-read of everything and it's been very exciting. I loved the interaction with other titles that really helped find a separation between the teams and give motivations that really haven't been there since. Fall of the Mutants and Inferno weren't perfect, but these moments gained a heightened feeling of complexity that wouldn't have been there had everyone been around to help each other out.

Someone explain to me why Rogue was in the Siege Perilous for so long. She was the first to go in and the last to come out. Rogue was in the Siege for 14 months and 22 issues! Couldn't Claremont think of anything better to do with her during this time? Or was this just his way of getting her out of the way for awhile to better develop Jubilee and Psylocke?

Quote Originally Posted by mikeb View Post
    Someone explain to me why Rogue was in the Siege Perilous for so long. She was the first to go in and the last to come out. Rogue was in the Siege for 14 months and 22 issues! Couldn't Claremont think of anything better to do with her during this time? Or was this just his way of getting her out of the way for awhile to better develop Jubilee and Psylocke?
    You are confusing comic time with our time.

I wasnt a fan of it. Forge is a boring character and isnt one you should anchor a book around. The stuff where it focused on he and Banshee were among the worst this era had to offer. The Jim Lee art saved it and the stuff around Psylocke was the most interesting parts of it

Quote Originally Posted by mikeb View Post
    Someone explain to me why Rogue was in the Siege Perilous for so long. She was the first to go in and the last to come out. Rogue was in the Siege for 14 months and 22 issues! Couldn't Claremont think of anything better to do with her during this time?
    No

I liked the x-men quite a bit, but it wasn't until as a young teenager reading these back issues did I really fall in love with them. The outback era to me will always be my favorite era for the x-family and the best team. So much happened in each issue. brilliant storytelling. Sure Rogue did disappear for a while longer than the others but That team was so good, I could not put those collected editions of essential x-men down. Fell in love with each member of the team, and they are all still my favorites.