Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by SpideyCeo View Post
    1. Kamala amd Miles will never be iconic comic book lynchpins, so lets cork it there. The most popular and iconic heroes are iconic are boosted by some origonal concept that is like lightning striking in a bottle and defined a unrivalred force of influence since then. Plus the former dont posses a cool factor, kamala is a plain faced minority whos not that hot or fun, and miles is a uncool ripoff that has no black charm to go with that mantle tribute.

2. Spiderman may be iconic and marvels best icon, but hes like pikachu or mickey, hes not the most interesting of his type of character, theres so many variations of his character and powers. Peter feels bland and pointless. He'll never be like bats or supes where hes a constant force of importance with his iconic prevelance, hes always going to play second fiddle to characters less impactful to his popularity
    Peter is being throw under for miles amd cindy nowadays, that shohld not happen, even batman doesnt play second fiddle to something hes going to overtake as a part of certain characters spin off, they know hes the beacon that shines the way for them.
    Wow. I really disagree with all of this.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    Wow. I really disagree with all of this.
    All that is translated is someone who never read a THING with those two.

Also WHO is Cindy?

How many books do we have as Peter as the lead by himself?

There is one book at IDW with him and Miles.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Also WHO is Cindy?
    Cindy Moon/Silk?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    All that is translated is someone who never read a THING with those two.

Also WHO is Cindy?

How many books do we have as Peter as the lead by himself?

There is one book at IDW with him and Miles.
    Nice try troll. Dont cry now because what i say is true

Ultimate Member

None of what you said was true.

How many versions of Batman and Superman do we have out there???

And if those two are so iconic and powerful-then why have so many characters that started with them have become their own stand alone person?

Did we not have a movie called Joker with no Batman?

How many books have those two supporting cast have gotten that have lasted with either one of them showing up.

Astonishing Member CrimsonEchidna's Avatar

I see we've reached the "Well I don't like them, so they can't be popular" part of the discussion. lol
    The artist formerly known as OrpheusTelos.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonEchidna View Post
    I see we've reached the "Well I don't like them, so they can't be popular" part of the discussion. lol
    Pretty much.

Peter has what 5 books and he's being pushed out of the way for Miles's ONE book and Cindy doesn't have one.

Meanwhile Carnage & Venom are having events without Peter or Miles as the leads.

Meanwhile Punisher, Silver Sable, Spider-Gwen, Miguel, Gwen Stacy, Mary Jane, Prowler, Slingers, Ben Riley, Spider-ham and so many others have had books. No one screamed Peter was pushed aside.

But Miles is the issue. The one with the Oscar win.

1. Kamala amd Miles will never be iconic comic book lynchpins, so lets cork it there. The most popular and iconic heroes are iconic are boosted by some origonal concept that is like lightning striking in a bottle and defined a unrivalred force of influence since then. Plus the former dont posses a cool factor, kamala is a plain faced minority whos not that hot or fun, and miles is a uncool ripoff that has no black charm to go with that mantle tribute.
    Into the Spiderverse. Nuff Said

Now more on topic, What people don't realize is part of being is Iconic is the willingness of company to force you down people throats even when you aren't necessary that popular. Superman is an amazing character but it is a fair assessment to say that he isn't amazingly popular now, Don't get me wrong he is still very popular but from comic perspective who is popular now is someone like Harley Quinn or Flash, and they should be getting a little more attention but Superman has how many animated moves now compare to them ? Anyways the big point Miles and Kamala are now a part of company "forced" push that happens with every popular character. Miles is getting his own game, Kamala is feature in the Avengers game. Kamala is getting her own Disney show that is connected to MCU. Miles is going to be in the follow up for Spiderverse animated movie.

Miles and Kamala are getting the same "forced" push that Superman or Ironman get and have gotten for years. Superman is sort of boring to this generation kids yet they keep on pushing him (until they find angle that works). Miles and Ms Marvel are now are part of that system of popular characters that will keep ramming characters down your throat as fans. Years from now some adults will have a nostalgia feelings about Miles and Ms Marvel. I think Punisher, Dr Strange, Daredevil or Iron Fist are mediocre characters but they are part of the pool regardless of their success they always pop back up. I completely disagree with you about quality and likability of characters Miles and Kamala but even without that we have seen characters pushed for years. Aquaman or Dr Strange are perfect examples.
    Last edited by Killerbee911; 06-30-2020 at 02:42 AM.

Astonishing Member CrimsonEchidna's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    Miles and Kamala are getting the same "forced" push that Superman or Ironman get and have gotten for years. Superman is sort of boring to this generation kids yet they keep on pushing him (until they find angle that works). Miles and Ms Marvel are now are part of that system of popular characters that will keep ramming characters down your throat as fans. Years from now some adults will have a nostalgia feelings about Miles and Ms Marvel. I think Punisher, Dr Strange, Daredevil or Iron Fist are mediocre characters but they are part of the pool regardless of their success they always pop back up. I completely disagree with you about quality and likability of characters Miles and Kamala but even without that we have seen characters pushed for years. Aquaman or Dr Strange are perfect examples.
    Speaking of Iron Man I think people are quick to forget that prior to the Robert Downey Jr. movies, he was not at the centerpoint focus of the Marvel Universe. Tony Stark was fourth on the totem pole when it came to Avengers behind Hulk, Captain America and Thor. Hell, he was straight up left out of the first Marvel vs. Capcom game in favor of War Machine and wasn't even present in the big Marvel vs DC comics.

And if you want to add another character to the list who got a "forced" push look no further than Deadpool. Who was always something of a mid-tier character until MvC3 pushed him into the public conciousness. And then Marvel decided to captialize on that spur of the moment popularity.
    The artist formerly known as OrpheusTelos.

ALL of what you say is just an opinion, nothing more. To boot one that is clearly racial motivated. With all of the other relatively similar heroes running around sharing the the same motif you pick the mixed black, and Arab to single out as somehow weighted with all your perceived flaws. Don't get me wrong, you're entitled to see things the way you do. Just know that it's only really relevant to just you. Personally Miles has a movie, a crossover event and consistent book. The next Spiderman game is focused on him. Sounds like iconic status is the next knock down for in a little while.

I think the Runaways were the last iconic characters created as a standalone IP. I could see Vaughn doing Runaways as its own 50 issue comic at Image.

There are newer icons but most of them were offshoots or legacies which are seen as 2nd class by some parts of the famdom. Not necessarily because of race but that is a factor. Even Kamala suffered from racist doublespeak when she debuted and she's the most successful of the new legacies to me.

To me legacy is a half measure and Bendis/Johns should've did more to create new IPs than relying on legacies.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 06-30-2020 at 07:01 AM.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

I still wish Kamala and Miles had better storylines like their predecessors but the writers keep wimping out like they did when they brought back Miles' mum.
    "Cable was right!"

Extraordinary Member

I will be curious to see if the new Disney + shows bring the following characters to iconic status: Kate Bishop, Ms Marvel, Moon Knight, and She-Hulk.

And the video game with Kamala too.

I’d say Into the Spider-Verse brought Miles and Spider-Gwen’s iconic status over.

As for characters who’s lost their iconic status: Namor is not as iconic as he used to be. Somewhere in the 80s, Wolverine overshot him as part of Marvel’s top 5. Meanwhile non-comics readers don’t know him.

The Thing is not as iconic as he used to be. His character and sensibilities played more to an older generation than millennials or Generation Z. That’s where guys like Kamala and Miles pick up the slack.
    Last edited by Will Evans; 06-30-2020 at 07:27 AM.

I'll agree that popular characters are lightning in a bottle... but what do you mean by some original concept? Batman wasn't never 'orginal'. He was a cross between Zorro and Shadow.... figthing the occassional Dick Tracy villain. Everything that was there, came from somewhere else. Superman wasn't much better... and now both those characters could be lost in the sea of copycats that they've inspired. Nothing that makes them 'unique'... but still iconic.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    I still wish Kamala and Miles had better storylines like their predecessors but the writers keep wimping out like they did when they brought back Miles' mum.
    Unlike their white counterparts-they don't ahve 500+ books starring them and being shoved down our throats.

There is no Marvel Tales, marvel Comics Present, Showcase, Strange Tales and so on.

So when you go to the store or library-there is no 50 different books starring a Miles or Kamala.

You also don't have a variety of writers using them. Especially big names.

Take Static Excluding McDuffie & Hudlin. Kurt Busiek is the only other big name to write him.

Now there is a flip side to that. Some writers don't need to touch these guys.

I don't want Tom King or Johns near Miles Morales. King crapped on Duke Thomas and Johns did Cyborg ZERO justice. Because if you top talent is not interest in these guys-all they can do is hamper growth.

Then we have to look at access.

Peter and those guys got to be in EVERYTHING and ANYTHING.

Being POC-Miles and Kamala don't get that or didn't get that.

Yet we saw Deadpool and Harley literally shoved down our throats. I can stuff with them everywhere.

Static had a hit show that only Digimon had higher ratings-he got NOTHING. You know how many FAILED white boy lead shows got stuff?

Miles has an OSCAR winning movie and might be the MAIN reason Sony sells PS5-will he get stuff on the shelf like shirts, toy line and so on in stores like Target and Wal-mart?

Even Wonder Woman has to put up with this mess. WONDER WOMAN.