Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Well when I talk about some big time resolution that restores everything, I'm not thinking of anything right around the corner. I'm thinking this whole thing takes a year if not somewhat longer to play out. So I'm imagining Bendis getting plenty of Jor-El time in. I see what you guys mean though in that if Bendis has even more plans for him there's no reason why he couldn't stick around longer since he's already there. But I would like to see it changed eventually just because I'm wary of the origin change and Jor-El's presence being a "permanent" thing.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

D*mned Prince of Gotham JasonTodd428's Avatar

Finally got caught up to the moment with Superman. I have to say that though I feel Bendis has a strong grasp on Superman and his voice and though I love the story for the most part I'm not at all happy with the potty humor for one thing nor the way characters outside of Supes are being portrayed here for another. I find his Flash particularly grating and, as someone who reads The Flash, Bendis's characterization seems way out of character to me.
    Supporting LION FORGE COMICS and other independent publishers.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Oh my goodness gracious! I've been bamboozled!

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change. AVATAR AANG

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

At least he gets Superman right. Imagine the complaints around here if Bendis would write Superman OOC as much as Flash.

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    At least he gets Superman right. Imagine the complaints around here if Bendis would write Superman OOC as much as Flash.
    Barry Allen has always been written completely OOC ever since The Flash: Rebirth, so I have no issue with BMB's portrayal of him.

Ironically, if current writers gave me a Mr. Allen who's a proud comic book nerd who unashamedly reads his daily dose of funnies during his lunch breaks, would probably die of exposure if he ever left his home without his impeccable tie and three-button jacket, became a forensic scientist because he was really good at science and then a superhero because he had stumbled into the chance to imitate his greatest comic book idol, I would be actually interested in his character. Superheroes these days feel all so-- standardized.

Ah, by the way, I realize that I've never left any thought about the coming of Bendis to Big Blue's titles... heh, let's say that it's never a matter of how Bendis's stories start, but rather how they end, so let's see how this whole thing evolves. Though I'm kinda (or rather, very) interested to see how the new additions to the supporting cast develop over the next months.

I'd be a good deal happier with this story of it only dealt with Superman and his universe's characters and not the JL ones if this is how Bendis is going to handle them. Even the idea that they all might be acting strangely because of being in the phantom zone doesn't make his take on Flash any less grating to me. Is it to much to ask for a little consistency with regard to characterization?

Anyway I'm not sure I'll be sticking around for the rest of this to be honest. I gave it a few issues and I'm just not enjoying it enough to keep up with it at the moment. I think I'll wait a bit and see if after this year long storyline is over he maybe let's someone else take over while he continues with Action. I think it's the stronger of the two anyway and at least I'm enjoying it.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JasonTodd428 View Post
    I'd be a good deal happier with this story of it only dealt with Superman and his universe's characters and not the JL ones if this is how Bendis is going to handle them. Even the idea that they all might be acting strangely because of being in the phantom zone doesn't make his take on Flash any less grating to me. Is it to much to ask for a little consistency with regard to characterization?

Anyway I'm not sure I'll be sticking around for the rest of this to be honest. I gave it a few issues and I'm just not enjoying it enough to keep up with it at the moment. I think I'll wait a bit and see if after this year long storyline is over he maybe let's someone else take over while he continues with Action. I think it's the stronger of the two anyway and at least I'm enjoying it.
    As much as I find weird Flash characterization, I'm enjoying the book and how Bendis write Clark. But to each his own.

Quote Originally Posted by Powertool View Post
    Barry Allen has always been written completely OOC ever since The Flash: Rebirth, so I have no issue with BMB's portrayal of him.

Ironically, if current writers gave me a Mr. Allen who's a proud comic book nerd who unashamedly reads his daily dose of funnies during his lunch breaks, would probably die of exposure if he ever left his home without his impeccable tie and three-button jacket, became a forensic scientist because he was really good at science and then a superhero because he had stumbled into the chance to imitate his greatest comic book idol, I would be actually interested in his character. Superheroes these days feel all so-- standardized.

Ah, by the way, I realize that I've never left any thought about the coming of Bendis to Big Blue's titles... heh, let's say that it's never a matter of how Bendis's stories start, but rather how they end, so let's see how this whole thing evolves. Though I'm kinda (or rather, very) interested to see how the new additions to the supporting cast develop over the next months.
    Yeah the endings are when Bendis tends to fall apart, but I thought Man of Steel had a pretty solid ending. I hope Bendis can keep it up.

Wally 'Ginger' West fan
    Along one of the Birkeland Currents that traverse the Milky Way. I forget the exact cross streets.

Quote Originally Posted by Powertool View Post

What do you mean "ever since Flash: Rebirth"? (Flash: Rebirth was a Flash fiasco.)

On the Justice League problem: Flash is likely Wally. The hair style and color screams Wally... behavior could well be explained by the Phantom Zone messing up any of the Flashes. I'm now more interested in just how long Kal-El in DC Rebirth era is supposed to be able to retain his yellow sun stored energy before it goes empty. Is it hours, days, minutes? Dependent on usage?
    Parental care is way exhausting. Gained insight into what my parents went through when I was a baby. Not fun, but what ya gonna do? (Read comics, obviously.)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by RepHope View Post
    Yeah the endings are when Bendis tends to fall apart, but I thought Man of Steel had a pretty solid ending. I hope Bendis can keep it up.
    Man of Steel didn't really have an "ending", the whole thing is a prologue setting up other stories.

Astonishing Member

The throw away visit of nuclear man actually really annoyed me, a very Bendis thing imo

I think he's generally got the idea of superman okay

But I hate that the rest of the family have been removed from the book, it might only be for a while but it was my favourite thing

I'm also not keen on the tease we have of Clark and Lois relationship changing in some big way, it's not filled me with interests, more dread for whatever Bendis move he's gonna pull

I've said before that with low power or characters of his own design he's good, but I just don't trust him with superman at all, and his style, I feel, does not fit

Of course that's my taste

I actually don't feel he's been that good for about a decade, I read most of his recent stuff at marvel but it felt very dated and rehashes or ideas he'd already used, especially in j jones

More than anything the way he writes dialogue feels weird on the book

It's put me off the monthlies but I will see how the arc plays out and maybe get the trades

Right now both superman and batman are off my pull list for the first time since rebirth

luckily I'm really enjoying the metal spin off books

I do think the art on superman has been fantastic and i love the paper on the books

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by kilderkin View Post
    I'm also not keen on the tease we have of Clark and Lois relationship changing in some big way, it's not filled me with interests, more dread for whatever Bendis move he's gonna pull
    Bendis' interviews have indicated the changes will be dramatic, but positive.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    Bendis' interviews have indicated the changes will be dramatic, but positive.
    Yeah I'm hoping so

I've heard stuff like they split or even he cheats on her, but that's all conjecture till it happens

I think it will be mostly a good thing, dc know how loved the relationship is generally

I'm looking to the trades since by then I'll know

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by kilderkin View Post
    Yeah I'm hoping so

I've heard stuff like they split or even he cheats on her, but that's all conjecture till it happens
    Yeah, that's mostly all paranoia coming from people who took one glance at Melody Moore or are reading too negatively into Bendis' reputation, or the doom-and-gloom solicitations, but Bendis has been saying everything will turn out fine and that the Kents will simply have more of a "Mr and Mrs. Smith" vibe to them. I'm trusting him on this. I get why you're worried, the solicitations haven't helped, and we're now being subjected to a painfully slow schedule, but have hope.
    Last edited by Miles To Go; 08-13-2018 at 04:22 AM.

As much as I find weird Flash characterization, I'm enjoying the book and how Bendis write Clark. But to each his own.
    It's just my personal taste I guess. Inconsistent characterization across books is just a pet peeve of mine honesty and its enough to throw me out of a story though it may not be bad enough that I would drop a book over it. This case is a particularly bad example of that because not only is Flash's character inconsistent but its grating in a nails on a chalkboard kind of way to me.
    Last edited by JasonTodd428; 08-13-2018 at 10:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonTodd428 View Post
    Finally got caught up to the moment with Superman. I have to say that though I feel Bendis has a strong grasp on Superman and his voice and though I love the story for the most part I'm not at all happy with the potty humor for one thing nor the way characters outside of Supes are being portrayed here for another. I find his Flash particularly grating and, as someone who reads The Flash, Bendis's characterization seems way out of character to me.
    Yeah, this was my biggest fear when i heard of Bendis, but at the very least his Superman's voice is still good.