Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Bendis is channelling Kevin Smith.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Can't say I had an actually issue with Batman's line. Like at all. But then again, I read Batman in Diedrich Bader's voice from Brave and The Bold, so yeah.

His Flash was oddly manic though, but that's usually the go to for basically every writer who has Flash guest star in their book. Not really Bendis specific. It's almost a reflex for most writers as we saw in the Justice League movie. The fast guy being super manic and animated is pretty standard if misguided in Barry's case.
    Last edited by Superlad93; 08-08-2018 at 03:56 PM.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

This issue was not good. Bendis' voice for Clark is still great, but everything else felt off, especially his Barry Allen.
    Last edited by KC; 08-08-2018 at 03:45 PM.
    “Somewhere, in our darkest night, we made up the story of a man who will never let us down.”

- Grant Morrison on Superman

Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

I was fine with Batman's line, in the same way as I was fine with him casually dropping the bit about how he stopped Penguin from killing the Prime Minister of Malaysia - Bendis seems to write him as a guy who doesn't give much thought to the very, very strange things that can come out of his mouth. And in this case, if it comes down to tact or letting his teammates know potentially relevant information, he'll absolutely talk about his weird bowel sensations. It's not a common take, but I enjoy it.

Rest of the issue was good, especially the central monologue, even if you can see the decompression coming into place (and I wish there was more to Nuclear Man's role, especially with that big significant change of him having a Superman cape!) and the whole bit with Flash at the end concluding on that...odd note. I think Miles might be on to something that there was an internal goof that was corrected at the last moment.
    Buh-bye

I liked this issue. The "off feeling" could be from everyone being in the PZ? Art was good, SM's voice was very good. Best DC comic (only DC comic) I've read today.
    Kidding aside though, I like where this is heading. Look forward to issue #3. 3.75 stars out of 5 for me.
    Years before Kal-El ever landed from Space; tales were told of the ultimate warrior/hero; Conan the Barbarian!

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    Bendis is channelling Kevin Smith.

Ahhh I remember this. Got a friend who is still angry about this, says it ruined Year One for him lmao. I get that stuff like this is meant to show that heroes are still "human" but I don't really think it's needed.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

That red hair seemed extremely deliberate to me, so I figured it was the disorienting effect of the PZ causing a low key gag that was oddly pulled off.

Batman to me was fine, though.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Any quibbles I had with the "setting the stage" nature of the story were blown away by Reis absolutely killing it with the art.

Lordy, this is easily the best stuff I have ever seen him produce and this man did Sinestro Corps War and Blackest Night, which were already some of the best stuff in superhero comics.

Incredible Member

Didn't read much Bendis at Marvel so I'm not "bored" with him like other readers seem to be. The "off" characterizations I'm willing to accept as writer's idiosyncrasies. The decompression works as long as the journey (so far ) is interesting. The art is killer, so I'm along for the ride.

Ultimate Member

I actually think I enjoyed this book a little more than others but Bendis is slipping into his decompression storytelling tropes.

That being said, I give the issue extra points because of the appearance of Nuclear Man. Granted he was treated like a joke...

Extraordinary Member

The Batman line was thought, not spoken. I take as more, something's happening to the world and now to him in particular, and he wants Superman to tell him exactly what it is right row. If there's one thing Batman hates, it's not understanding exactly what's happening around him.

And I thought Bendis' past issues were bad, oh no he has to go and top himself with how bad his writing can be. Not one but two toilet humour 'jokes' delivered in poor taste, the Flash sounds like a more manic Ezra Miller version of the character, 2 major continuity errors with Plastic Man and Hawkman being shown on the League when neither are current League members, Barry having Wally's hair for some reason, Rogol Zaar being given OC preference in the story and heck Bendis' Superman voice was uneven as well. This is Bendis at his Marvel level of writing again which is disastrous for the future of his run.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Lvenger Plastic Man and Hawkman aren't in the League proper but maintain connections. This is no more incorrect than them actually both helping out in the very first issue Snyder did. As for Barry having red hair, I can't be certain I get the gag any better than others but even if that was a weird Barry, it was preceded by Superman mentioning his sanity as the issue began and any hair color Bendis is responsible for would mean it's deliberately that color as mentioned in the script.

And actually username, I quite liked this a whole lot even if some seams are showing. Huge action piece, tons of saving the day, and I think Bendis' humor is a little obscure. Like he's setting up punchlines that deal with the size of this ambitious story about his and Earth's literal and figurative place in the universe.

The ending was maybe my favorite of the chapters so far, with the huge pile sitting on top of his plate. Bendis is doing high concept tailored to Superman without retreading, and that skill will take him far if he keeps it up.

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    The Batman line was thought, not spoken. I take as more, something's happening to the world and now to him in particular, and he wants Superman to tell him exactly what it is right row. If there's one thing Batman hates, it's not understanding exactly what's happening around him.
    He addresses it to Superman, if you mean the discomfort.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Bendis talking about the Barry "mix up" this issue

https://twitter.com/BRIANMBENDIS?ref...Ctwgr%5Eauthor

"Hey Brian, is that Wally or Barry in Superman #2? Apologies for the confusion but I'm so used to seeing Barry with blond hair so one just assumes it's Wally when they see the red hair. Though he was being referred to as Barry, so I'm still confused."

Bendis: "I know there was some confusion on this BUT I can't answer that until after doomsday clock is over. or I'm lying and someone screwed up something "

Could honestly just be Bendis poking fun at the "can't do this till Doomsday Clock is over" to do some light trolling about a coloring error, or it could be legit. I'm leaning more towards the former, but I can't possible know.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Didn't like.

I found it dull and actually a bit of a difficult read. I dunno if it was due to reading it digitally, but I found some of the conversations disjointed and muddled.

Nuclear Man was the best bit for me.

I really enjoyed the first issue despite myself, but I think it's time to bail.