Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Yeah, Hawkman and Plas being around is not a continuity mistake. Rebirth brought back the roster's larger history. Just because they're not in the JL title at the moment, doesn't make it at all out of bounds to use them elsewhere as having League connections. If this were still the New 52, okay then yeah there'd be a legit complaint as that didn't have the membership history. But you guys wanted the history back and you got it. Now that its back, I don't get turning around and now using it against a writer utilizing it.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Spectacular Member oldschoolfan's Avatar

Default Always wait for the story to be told

Quote Originally Posted by 13th Superman View Post
    Thank you. This has been my thinking as well. You had a child think that Superman started the fires. All is not what it seems. I'll wait and see how this plays out.
    With Bendis, and most writers, I have found that this is always the best approach. Reserve judgement until the story is told.

I miss the days of the one and done story. Not that it should be done all the time, but its nice when things get mixed up.

What's funny to me is why every body is stuck on the Flash thing....was it really that important? I am asking sincerely.

The art on the first three pages was gorgeous, there's a George Perez influence there, imo. The Nuclear Man inclusion went over my head until I read the posts here and now I get the reference. There is a story there, how did he end up in the Negative Zone?
    I am committed to the idea that any work of art should be judged on its own merit, not on the behavior or beliefs of its author.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

I don't get why people are so hung up on the Flash thing. It didn't bother me at all.

I love Aquaman and Hawkman popping up in here, if even just to see Ivan Reis draw them. He's just the best of the best. The Prado inked pages are so dope.

I love how big and bold the scope of this thing is. It's a lot of fun.
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 08-09-2018 at 05:15 PM.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by oldschoolfan View Post
    With Bendis, and most writers, I have found that this is always the best approach. Reserve judgement until the story is told.

I miss the days of the one and done story. Not that it should be done all the time, but its nice when things get mixed up.

What's funny to me is why every body is stuck on the Flash thing....was it really that important? I am asking sincerely.

The art on the first three pages was gorgeous, there's a George Perez influence there, imo. The Nuclear Man inclusion went over my head until I read the posts here and now I get the reference. There is a story there, how did he end up in the Negative Zone?
    Wow, yeah I can totally see the George Perez influence there too. Nice catch, man!

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by _Feely_ View Post
    Didn't like.

I found it dull and actually a bit of a difficult read. I dunno if it was due to reading it digitally, but I found some of the conversations disjointed and muddled.

Nuclear Man was the best bit for me.

I really enjoyed the first issue despite myself, but I think it's time to bail.
    Meh, it's too early to bail IMO. Of the 9 issues of full stories under Bendis only two issues have underwhelmed me and even in those I found Superman and his voice written well, so that's still not a bad average.

As long as Bendis doesn't do anything as stupid as say,having Clark feed Lois Lane to the Parasite in part to help protect his secret identity or take away Superman's powers and have him ride around on a harley for like a year's worth of comics or something equally brainless, I'm willing to see where Bendis goes because for the most part I think his direction and ideas are strong.

But time will tell.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

Default Ahhh, the new 52!

Quote Originally Posted by manofsteel1979 View Post
    Meh, it's too early to bail IMO. Of the 9 issues of full stories under Bendis only two issues have underwhelmed me and even in those I found Superman and his voice written well, so that's still not a bad average.

As long as Bendis doesn't do anything as stupid as say,having Clark feed Lois Lane to the Parasite in part to help protect his secret identity or take away Superman's powers and have him ride around on a harley for like a year's worth of comics or something equally brainless, I'm willing to see where Bendis goes because for the most part I think his direction and ideas are strong.

But time will tell.
    Wasn't Supes dating Wonder Woman when he did that to Lois? So I guess its okay then.....you bring back some good memories of the New 52.

And the JMS run....Superman using his Xray vision for an uninvited medical exam. But it was for the guy's health, so I guess its okay then.
    I am committed to the idea that any work of art should be judged on its own merit, not on the behavior or beliefs of its author.

Default Art is important in Comics!

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    Wow, yeah I can totally see the George Perez influence there too. Nice catch, man!
    Thank you! It's affirming when someone else sees the same thing you do.

You should catch Supergirl #21. Kevin Maguire art. It's really nice. Look through it at least, I get it if its not your cup of tea, but I liked it.

Amazing Member

I think it's weird how Earth is trapped on the Phantom zone in Superman book and going through another disaster in the pages of Justice League. It doesn't seem like there's much continuity between the 2 books. I don't think there needs to be a lot, but at least have a character comment on how first X happened, now Y is happening.

Unless two or more books are crossing over its rare for a major event in one franchise to reflect on another outside of a passing reference. Even if its global like the current Superman situation. Especially in a case like the Superman storyline in fact, as its hard to even just reference what's going on here in another book without explicitly dealing with it, and other books can't be expected to stop their own plans to work something like this in. Again unless it was a planned crossover. Heck its not even contiguous with Action Comics right now as the Earth is fine there, thus its likely taking place after Superman. So its really no surprise that JL isn't touching on it at all.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 08-09-2018 at 06:57 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Wally 'Ginger' West fan
    Along one of the Birkeland Currents that traverse the Milky Way. I forget the exact cross streets.

Superman is my second favorite DC character since nigh forever and I loved the family dynamic they had going on. Been unable to read anything since about March so did some quick YouTube review viewing....

What the flaming buffalo hockey puck was this? Where are Lois and their son?

Toilet 'humor'? In a Superman book? Why? God in heaven, why?

Was that Barry or Wally? Or Wally thinking he was Barry? Or something else because right now I think Bendis needs to be told to stay far, far, away from any of the speedsters for the sake of us speedster fans. Lordy.

I am so glad I always wait on trades. This looks like a hot mess. Maybe it will all make sense later, but, definitely waiting before deciding on whether I want the trade.
    Parental care is way exhausting. Gained insight into what my parents went through when I was a baby. Not fun, but what ya gonna do? (Read comics, obviously.)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kyer View Post
    Where are Lois and their son?.
    Lois and Jon went off-world with Jor-El at the conclusion of the Man of Steel mini-series. Lois returned at the end of Action Comics#1001, though she's kept her comeback a secret from Clark. Jon will return in Superman#6. Bendis isn't getting rid of the family, his various interviews have stated he will be reshaping it to be more "modern" and unique

Don't trust YouTube reviews. The toilet humor is exaggerated. I didn't like either line, but its a total of two lines throughout 8 issues of work. Its being wildly made into more than it really is.

As for Jon and Lois, they left with Jor-El on a space jaunt intended to teach Jon more about the universe and his special heritage. Jon however is the only one whose going to be gone for any noticeable period. Lois was never intended to be gone for that long as she quickly made her surprise return in Action #1001, in mysterious plot line that has her returning home in secret, without Clark's knowledge, and without their son.

Aaand the molasses speed of the forums make a fool of me yet again, question answered already.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 08-09-2018 at 09:44 PM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by oldschoolfan View Post
    The importance to me was that we were being told that the Phantom Zone was having an effect on people, with the Flash being the one on panel. So it was a bit confusing between the dialogue and the coloring if they were trying to say one of the effects was Wally believing he was Barry, that Barry was being effected mentally and physically including his hair color, or if this was just your average coloring error. If it had been a scene where the only thing off was the hair color I'd shrug and move on assuming it was a production error.

Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

I can't help but raise an eyebrow that people are now grousing over someone making a joke that they have to pee and that Superman thinks about the term "sucks" as unbefittingly crude for the adventures of the world's greatest hero, in the midst of mourning for the Good, Wholesome previous run that opened with Superman's son accidentally burning his cat to death and ended with freakin' Bizarro - Bizarro, that wacky fun backwards dude from planet opposite day! - turning out to be a child abuser.

(I don't even specifically mean on this forum or a particular couple people on here, incidentally - seeing plenty of this on Twitter.)
    Last edited by Dispenser Of Truth; 08-10-2018 at 12:54 AM.
    Buh-bye

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Dispenser Of Truth View Post
    I can't help but raise an eyebrow that people are now grousing over someone making a joke that they have to pee and that Superman thinks about the term "sucks" as unbefittingly crude for the adventures of the world's greatest hero, in the midst of mourning for the Good, Wholesome previous run that opened with Superman's son accidentally burning his cat to death and ended with freakin' Bizarro - Bizarro, that wacky fun backwards dude from planet opposite day! - turning out to be a child abuser.
    Don't forget the after-school special where Jon was tricked into thinking his mother had her leg amputated by his own dad