Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dispenser Of Truth View Post
    I can't help but raise an eyebrow that people are now grousing over someone making a joke that they have to pee and that Superman thinks about the term "sucks" as unbefittingly crude for the adventures of the world's greatest hero, in the midst of mourning for the Good, Wholesome previous run that opened with Superman's son accidentally burning his cat to death and ended with freakin' Bizarro - Bizarro, that wacky fun backwards dude from planet opposite day! - turning out to be a child abuser.

(I don't even specifically mean on this forum or a particular couple people on here, incidentally - seeing plenty of this on Twitter.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    Don't forget the after-school special where Jon was tricked into thinking his mother had her leg amputated by his own dad
    I remember both and actually being put off by the cat thing when it happened and when I bought it up back then elsewhere I was told I was over reacting and that I shouldn't worry and that it would work out. Well they were ultimately right and the scene did have a point. Which is amusing because some of the same people who didn't seem fazed by a gruesome death of a kitty cat raised holy hell when Bendis had Lois and Jon leave for space even as I reserved judgement. They immediately crusified Bendis and already decided preemptively his run was going to suck and that he's already ruined Superman " forever!"
    I guarantee you if it was Tomasi or Jurgens who had shipped off the Super family to space and done the stuff Bendis had done so far the people on YouTube and elsewhere yelling the loudest would be quiet and even complimenting the bold new direction.

Thusly, if Bendis had started off MOS or Superman #1 with Jon barbequing a cat, there would have been a full scale riot, and had Bendis even teased Lois losing a pinky let alone a leg there would be videos and 10,000 word essay posts about how Bendis is a misogynist who secretly is a Marvel plant to destroy Superman, whom he obviously doesn't get.

I keep saying, it's not as much about WHAT is being done in the Superbooks, but about WHO is doing it thats causing such "outrage". Both the previous teams and the current writer put the Kent family in some kind of situation and teased things, and so far Jon hasn't accidently killed another family pet and Lois still is clearly shown to have all her limbs intact....so...yeah.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

It is what it is. The Bendis drama finally got me out of the closet as an Austen fan so I'm sorta thankful. I guess Superman just isn't going to have readers on the same page then, now, or too soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    Bendis talking about the Barry "mix up" this issue

https://twitter.com/BRIANMBENDIS?ref...Ctwgr%5Eauthor

"Hey Brian, is that Wally or Barry in Superman #2? Apologies for the confusion but I'm so used to seeing Barry with blond hair so one just assumes it's Wally when they see the red hair. Though he was being referred to as Barry, so I'm still confused."

Bendis: "I know there was some confusion on this BUT I can't answer that until after doomsday clock is over. or I'm lying and someone screwed up something "

Could honestly just be Bendis poking fun at the "can't do this till Doomsday Clock is over" to do some light trolling about a coloring error, or it could be legit. I'm leaning more towards the former, but I can't possible know.
    The CBR site makes it sound like a coloring error. I mean it fits how Barry was being written by Bendis anyway, but I'll still just fit that coincidence strange. Alex Sinclair (I think, no issue with me atm) doesn't seem likely to goof like that and it's been indicated how strange he seems. Like going to Antarctica when Superman didn't give him that impression last issue. I dunno.

BANNED

Bendis is totally taking the piss with the Doomsday Clock reference.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dispenser Of Truth View Post
    I can't help but raise an eyebrow that people are now grousing over someone making a joke that they have to pee and that Superman thinks about the term "sucks" as unbefittingly crude for the adventures of the world's greatest hero, in the midst of mourning for the Good, Wholesome previous run that opened with Superman's son accidentally burning his cat to death and ended with freakin' Bizarro - Bizarro, that wacky fun backwards dude from planet opposite day! - turning out to be a child abuser.

(I don't even specifically mean on this forum or a particular couple people on here, incidentally - seeing plenty of this on Twitter.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    Don't forget the after-school special where Jon was tricked into thinking his mother had her leg amputated by his own dad
    Oh, and who could forget such wholesome moments like Manchester Black psychologically and physically abusing a 10 year old, Superboy. And funny enough Tomasi is the originator of the "Jon sides with evil" and "Jon grows up to kill people" ideas.

But no, Superman thinking the word "sucks" is the hard line in the sand lol
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Lol, I do enjoy Superman's characterization here. Bendis really does "big, blue boy scout" very well for the guy. And I appreciate that its done via dialogue rather than flashbacks or him being an intolerant prick. Lots of great stuff from Supes in the issue. How can Rogol Zaar be so against this guy?!?
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Astonishing Member

Oh, and who could forget such wholesome moments like Manchester Black psychologically and physically abusing a 10 year old, Superboy. And funny enough Tomasi is the originator of the "Jon sides with evil" and "Jon grows up to kill people" ideas.

But no, Superman thinking the word "sucks" is the hard line in the sand lol
    And what about resurrected, turned villain Jor-El?
    Educational town, Rolemodel city and Moralofthestory land are the places where good comics go to die.

DC writers and editors looked up and shouted "Save us!"
    And Alan Moore looked down and whispered "No."

I'm kinda surprised Snyder didn't want Superman to watch Lois and Bruce conceive their love child. All the while singing the "Na na na na na na Batman!" theme song - Robotman, 03/06/2021

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby Krackle View Post
    The Nuclear Man stuff was... why? I actually was excited when he was announced, but instead it was kind of a one off joke thing. I dunno. Kinda unsure if I'll be staying on beyond the first arc.
    Bendis trope. Picking a D list villain and throwing them into everything he writes.

Quote Originally Posted by Myskin View Post
    And what about resurrected, turned villain Jor-El?
    Oh god yes!!

Bendis is the retcon king, but the previous team makes it so Jor-El never actually died, was mentally tortured, and enabled the deaths of dozens of people is no big deal.

Could you even fathom the outrage if Bendis were the one to have introduced that lol
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Wally 'Ginger' West fan
    Along one of the Birkeland Currents that traverse the Milky Way. I forget the exact cross streets.

Oh thank goodness.
    The YouTube reviews had me thinking it was even -worse- than usual.
    So... basically the same fare of good things mixed with 'what were they thinking?!' ones. I was getting afraid that Bendis had actually turned the whole fandom upside the head.

And, man, what I just wrote is kind of depressing: bbq'd cat, missing legs, honored dad turned maniac....

Why do I love [some] comics, again?
    Parental care is way exhausting. Gained insight into what my parents went through when I was a baby. Not fun, but what ya gonna do? (Read comics, obviously.)

Oh god yes!!

Bendis is the retcon king, but the previous team makes it so Jor-El never actually died, was mentally tortured, and enabled the deaths of dozens of people is no big deal.

Could you even fathom the outrage if Bendis were the one to have introduced that lol
    The Jor-El thing is kinda why I'm considering that the aged-up Jon thing we seem to be headed for might be "real" in the sense that he's not a time traveler and that there's him and the younger Jon existing at the same time. Rather he is the current Jon who was caught in an anomaly where time moved different. Because it could be eventually used as a springboard to have a big time-changing overall resolution, in something that restores Jor-El's classic fate, and deages Jon back to a proper age.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Because it could be eventually used as a springboard to have a big time-changing overall resolution, in something that restores Jor-El's classic fate, and deages Jon back to a proper age.
    I actually really doubt this. Not because of anything I feel personally, but rather because Bendis called Jor-El being back the way he is one of the greatest gifts the previous creative team gave him. And a lot of Superman's personal forward momentum (wrestling with the idea of "am I doing enough") comes from Bendis having such a great time writing Jor-El as the tactless father who sent his son to medical school only to come by and find out that said son joined a non-profit. Not a great analogy, but you get it.

I think this is for keeps. For the foreseeable future.

Master Hero Vladimir

I actually really doubt this. Not because of anything I feel personally, but rather because Bendis called Jor-El being back the way he is one of the greatest gifts the previous creative team gave him. And a lot of Superman's personal forward momentum (wrestling with the idea of "am I doing enough") comes from Bendis having such a great time writing Jor-El as the tactless father who sent his son to medical school only to come by and find out that said son joined a non-profit. Not a great analogy, but you get it.

I think this is for keeps. For the foreseeable future.
    Honestly, with that attitude, Jor-El comes off as the highly prestigious father who disagrees with his son's humbler aspirations. In a way, Jor-El is pressuring Clark to follow the "family business" instead of letting him make his own choices in life and how to guide his family.

Quote Originally Posted by HeroVladimir93 View Post
    Honestly, with that attitude, Jor-El comes off as the highly prestigious father who disagrees with his son's humbler aspirations. In a way, Jor-El is pressuring Clark to follow the "family business" instead of letting him make his own choices in life and how to guide his family.
    Exactly. That's a much better analogy. And Bendis seems to really dig having Jor-El around so he can explore stuff like that.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Forum finally seems to be working normally for the moment, so I'll say I really enjoyed this issue. Last page with the flashe error annoyed me, but besides that, good stuff.

BANNED

I felt bendis was homaging infinity war in this issue with Batman playing the role of Peter letting Stark know how he was feeling; and further on flash with him being in his arms as they all turn into phantoms.
    joking aside it was a OK issue. didn't like the nuclear man appearing out of nowhere as it reminds me of chuck Austen's villains who just appear and do whatever with no particular rhyme or reason. Looks like MM and supes will have to deal with the army that is if mm is still conscious and functioning.