View Poll Results: How would you rate this issue?

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll
  • ★★★★★

6 26.09%
  • ★★★★

14 60.87%
  • ★★★

2 8.70%
  • ★★

0 0%
  • 1 4.35%

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Wonder Woman #52 - Spoilers & Discussion

Another fantastic issue!

After the preview pages we've already seen, Artemis agrees to help Wonder Woman and Aztek as they believe Atalanta is alive and imprisoned by the god Tezcatlipoca. They travel to a Mexican temple and are ambushed by a nagual. Diana stops Artemis from using the powerful Bow of Ra (which apparently had some significance in Red Hood and the Outlaws -- still have to read it). Atalanta ends up saving them, revealing herself to be alive but trapped as they thought. The four prepare to fight back against Tezcatlipoca.

I love the supporting cast used in this story arc. It's so refreshing to see Artemis once again in the comic. She's a great contrast to Diana, and seeing Diana have to sort of wrangle her in is always a delight. Aztek is also a great addition, and is it me or did it seem like Artemis was slightly flirting with her?

I also felt like the issue, even though when broken down is quite brief, was jam-packed full of stuff. It didn't feel like a five second read, it felt like there was quite a lot to it. Unfortunately I read it (quickly) before work so I'll have to go revisit it later. But all in all? Great start to the story.

Oh! Also loved the art!

Basically it was established that only the chosen one could use the bow of Ra without going mad with power. Red hood and the Outlaws established as part of Artemis's backstory that Akila became the Shim Tar, tried out the bow, and going nuts destroyed the Bana city and burned off half her face before dying

Awesome issue though. I wish we had a second Wonder Woman book so he could stay on
    Last edited by Fuzzy Mittens; 08-08-2018 at 06:44 AM.

Always Rakzo

Good stuff. It seems like we got "good Orlando" here thankfully. He implements some of his usual love for Morrison's characters in the form of Aztek who is better utilized here than during Orlando's Justice League of America (the bar was pretty low though). Artemis also gets a solid portrayal based on her appearance in Red Hood and the Outlaws while Diana is accurately depicted as well.

And thank God we got ACO here. He has always known how to elevate Orlando's scripts in a way that many other pencillers can't. His panels are immensely creative and really brings the vision to life. Hope things continue this way.

Good issue. Orlando has a good handle on the voices of Diana, Artemis, and Aztek. Aco has some pretty trippy art which I enjoyed.

Man I really hope CBR fixes whatever is going wrong soon, all these double posts are really irritating me.

Well, it was good. No question.

But, it didn't really explain how/why Artemis is in that bar. Whereas in Red Hood and the Outlaws, she's last seen kissing Jason, before tossing him clear of a door/portal to who knows where that Bizzarro opened to save a big portion of Gotham. And Artemis was going to look after the big guy.

So, clearly a lot has been going on between then and this issue.

It was a good issue but, again, and a little bit more than #51, I felt this was directed to old fans. I read almost everything since the new 52 and some past arcs (The Circle, more than half of Pérez, everything Rucka) and had a hard time feeling the lost amazon thing or the villain. But the dialogues were good and I was pleased to see Diana and a group os different [female] heroes in an adventure.