All-New Member

Starting from Rebirth, which books and events are essential to read to catch up?

I want to go back and read through rebirth to today and of course this: https://www.comicbookherald.com/wher...dc-comics/amp/ resource is super helpful, but I知 just not interested in reading anything insignificant to the main stories right now. Maybe another time after I知 caught up, but I知 really just looking to get caught up. So what is the essential reading? And which books should I not bother with?

I知 a lapsed reader who stopped reading about a quarter of the way through the New 52. Any help would be much appreciated.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

It depends on what characters and creators you are interested in really.

If you are looking for the major events. I would suggest reading Justice League: Darkseid War for the ending of the New 52 era. It is very much the final chapter of what Johns began in Justice League #1. Then, DC Universe Rebirth #1 is absolutely essential and is the official start of Rebirth.

If you want to know what's happening with Batman, I would suggest getting the trades of the Tom King run. It's been great and has a murderer's row of great artists.

The Button crossover between Batman & Flash didn't really feel all that significant, but it may become so later on.

As for Superman, read Tomasi & Gleason's first Superman TPB "Son of Superman", followed by the crossover "Superman Reborn" and Jurgens's "The Oz Effect" to get up to speed on the main events.

Wonder Woman's new status quo was esstablished in "The Truth" and "Year One" TPBs.

The Wally West subplot introduced in Rebirth culminates in the recent "Flash War" and leads into "Heroes in Crisis"

Nothing really significant happened with Green Lantern, so you could probably just skip right to Morrison's run starting in November.

Same goes for Justice League, which was stuck in a holding pattern until Scott Snyder took over with "Metal", which begat "No Justice", which begat the current Justice League title.

And, of course, Doomsday Clock is absolutely a must read, although be warned that it is a slow burn thanks to the bimonthly schedule.

Bored at 3:00AM named the main reading except before all those you should have read Watchmen!

For you information Darkseid War is preceeded by Trinity War if you want to read the prequel.

If you want to be awaire of Batman's new origins you can read Batman: Zero Year. But be warn it is not a so good story.

It is not essential, but I find the entire Aquaman run not bad at all.

Sorry for Bored at 3:00AM but Tom King's run is really not that great at all. It has good episodes, but lots of so so ones. You can skip the "I am" stories !
    On the other side, Detective Comics is much better.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jb681131 View Post
    [B]

Sorry for Bored at 3:00AM but Tom King's run is really not that great at all. It has good episodes, but lots of so so ones. You can skip the "I am" stories !
    On the other side, Detective Comics is much better.
    I don't think Trinity War is all that essential. It sets up Forever Evil, which is just a reintroduction of the Crime Syndicate, although it does re-contextualize Power Ring, which is very important to understanding Jessica Cruz I suppose. If you are interested in her, that is her first appearance.

Good call on reading Watchmen. I can't imagine Doomsday Clock would make much sense without having read Watchmen

As for Tom King's Batman. I found his early stuff to be a bit pretentious, but so was Alan Moore's writing, whom King clearly adores. That said, once I warmed to him, King is great. His current "12 Angry Men starring Bruce Wayne" story has been particularly fun.