Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by RepHope View Post
    Just to be clear this issue isn't all wailing and clashing of teeth. Kara still laughs, still loves her cousin and her adopted family, and still has her compassion. But she's determined to get to the bottom of Rogal whether others want her to or not.
    Good to hear. From some of the posts I thought they were reverting Kara back to the New 52 crap.

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    The idea that allowing Supergirl to be rightfully angry, sad, or conflicted is somehow a bad thing or too close to Batman is a really, really sad thought to hear being passed around. I mean, cut the girl some slack! She just had to basically relive krypton being destroyed again, and now she's just found out that it was more than some natural disaster--it has a face/faces. She wasn't snarling at anyone. She didn't jack up GL for info. She didn't even actually mope in the traditional sense. She got proactive actually.

She ran the whole freakin gambit of emotions in this issue. Didn't you guys see her face light up when she saw Krypto, or when she had her happy cry, or when right after that when she had a big ass grin on her face while talking to her cousin's dog?

I'd hate to think that people are spouting hyperbole about this book because she's not being written as a "stretford wife" type. Too often do female character have to live in the box of "tough girl" or "always cool girl." That's the real cliche, imo.

I dunno, man, I tried super hard to write and rewrite that so that this wasn't some sort of rant, but, ya know, take it for what you see it as.
    So why the complaints about the TV show version of Supergirl? Doesn't that exactly describe the TV version? What is the difference?

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    So why the complaints about the TV show version of Supergirl? Doesn't that exactly describe the TV version? What is the difference?
    Are you talking about when I started the thread? I genuinely don't watch enough of the show to comment further than saying it mainly runs off concepts and characters that Superman normally has as one of its strong points (the whole "this is basically a Superman show" idea) and I'm not all that receptive to that when it's played as straight as it is there. I'm sure there's more to the show, but its packaging doesn't make me want to find out (and I hate that version of Jimmy with a passion).

The reason why I've taken to this new direction is because it's a direction that Superman, as we know him, can't comfortably take on at all. He can't just put everything on hold to fly off into space with his dog for an extended period of time to solve a space mystery. He come at Krypton's death with the same particular passion that Kara does. It's totally her thing in a way that the last run and the show kind of weren't to varying degrees.

That's really all there is to it, as far as I go.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    The idea that allowing Supergirl to be rightfully angry, sad, or conflicted is somehow a bad thing or too close to Batman is a really, really sad thought to hear being passed around. I mean, cut the girl some slack! She just had to basically relive krypton being destroyed again, and now she's just found out that it was more than some natural disaster--it has a face/faces. She wasn't snarling at anyone. She didn't jack up GL for info. She didn't even actually mope in the traditional sense. She got proactive actually.

She ran the whole freakin gambit of emotions in this issue. Didn't you guys see her face light up when she saw Krypto, or when she had her happy cry, or when right after that when she had a big ass grin on her face while talking to her cousin's dog?

I'd hate to think that people are spouting hyperbole about this book because she's not being written as a "stretford wife" type. Too often do female character have to live in the box of "tough girl" or "always cool girl." That's the real cliche, imo.

I dunno, man, I tried super hard to write and rewrite that so that this wasn't some sort of rant, but, ya know, take it for what you see it as.
    The thing I like is the connection between how Bendis wrote her as stoic ((if still informal) during the moment but her delayed reaction probably got a little worse emotionally by the time we got here. That's like many real people, especially teenagers. It's really her right to go in every direction given what her reality is, and she's at her best to roll up her sleeves from there. If being a relaunch title didn't make it somewhat necessary, it was worth reiterating the Moses vs foreign exchange student thing between the two cousins because it's going to be a largely solitary, epic journey that will have plenty of time to bridge the small personality gaps in the main character.

But she's still Kara as she was, too. On the flipside I'm not understanding why people eschewed the "TV" form because it was still Supergirl. It's really close to how she was in the Bronze Age and that show even borrows straight from the comics in many cases. To weave the altered status back into the comics was pretty slick of Orlando and even if this high concept is what he was lacking, I think he's pretty underrated.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    The thing I like is the connection between how Bendis wrote her as stoic ((if still informal) during the moment but her delayed reaction probably got a little worse emotionally by the time we got here. That's like many real people, especially teenagers. It's really her right to go in every direction given what her reality is, and she's at her best to roll up her sleeves from there. If being a relaunch title didn't make it somewhat necessary, it was worth reiterating the Moses vs foreign exchange student thing between the two cousins because it's going to be a largely solitary, epic journey that will have plenty of time to bridge the small personality gaps in the main character.
    Yeah, I really liked how well it all meshed with MOS. Like, in issue 5 when Clark remarks on Kara's sort of eerily calm disposition, this issue feels like the exhale of that.

But she's still Kara as she was, too. On the flipside I'm not understanding why people eschewed the "TV" form because it was still Supergirl. It's really close to how she was in the Bronze Age and that show even borrows straight from the comics in many cases.
    Again, I'm sure there's a bunch of nuance that I'm missing because I don't watch the show anymore and I didn't read Bronze Age Supergirl, but the first impression (and one producer during an interview literally saying that the goal was to make a Superman show with Superman) kind of killed my vibe for the whole thing. I'm more of a fan of putting forward the stuff I can't get with Clark when it comes to Supergirl. Doesn't mean she can't be altruistic, noble, and kind similar to him though.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

If it was just the TV stuff I'd have gotten sick of it. As it was I feel almost as guilty for not discussing it as I do the fantastic New Super-man. But I'll say Orlando had surprisingly good working knowledge of characters across Super history to boot. It felt very authentic and I think there wouldn't have been a pause if they had a more aesthetic artist to hook readers earlier. Like if Lupacchino stayed.

Maguire's not only that now but also one with a name people should recognize across a ton of work. Hope this is a sleeper hit.

I'm honestly sure he did. I really like his writing (can't wait for Electric Warriors!), but I couldn't really get past the front door with it to get to the good stuff. This run feels way more interesting on first impression to me personally.

Spectacular Member oldschoolfan's Avatar

Default Supergirl by Andreyko and Maguire: Two Thumbs Up!

Kevin Maguire's art ROCKS!!!

This book is gorgeous. I also enjoyed the way the book was written. I hold out high hopes for this story line and hope that this team can stay on the book for a little while.

Krypto is back, and I am okay with it. In fact it was a touching moment when Krypto surprised Kara. I was not reading this book before...but I am now. I have got to believe that there is going to be some tie in with Man of Steel #1, when Rogol Zaar goes to that committee for permission to destroy Krypton.

Is Rogol Zaar's name an anagram? I have fooled around with it some but haven't seen anything. The only other thing I notice is that he has that Red Eye/Blue Eye thing going on that I remember from a 3D Superman Final Crisis story. Probably not related, but something a long time fan would notice.

I love the part where Green Lantern's scan is redacted. Supergirl needs to go to the Oans.
    I liked the Supergirl/Red Lantern thing.....I don't know how that is handled now, the character gets rebooted so often and the back story changed so much that its hard to keep track of what's what.
    I am committed to the idea that any work of art should be judged on its own merit, not on the behavior or beliefs of its author.

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

Really enjoyed this issue a lot, which is more than I can say for most of the last two runs of the character. This felt both like the original Kara Zor-El, Supergirl and the post Crisis Linda Danvers and the returned Kara Zor-El all rolled into one. Great book all the way around.

Picked up this issue because of its connection to Bendis’ Superman. I really enjoyed it. A good story and characterization but Krypto was the clincher. I’m definitely picking up the rest of this arc.