Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Default Supergirl issue #21 spoiler discussion.

Really solid issue.

I'm a big sucker for this whole "who done it" Krypton murder mystery with all its space politics, space cover-ups, dirty space politicians, space Illuminatis. And I was desperately hoping for Superman to go out and play space detective, but it actually makes more sense for Kara to do it, all things considered. I wasn't all that into Orlando's run (even though I like him as a writer) mainly because I'm not all that receptive to the Superman-lite take the Supergirl show is using, and that the comic took inspiration from, so this whole new unique direction is very welcome.

Really dug the way the Kal/Kara stuff ended. Clark giving Krypto to Kara along with a note with a smiley face was fantastic. Also, Kara's origin is slightly altered it seems.

Now the most pressing question of the whole issue: am I to believe that Kara is rolling around in an updated version of the Supermobile?! I mean, it looks nothing like Kal or Kara's pods. It's a four seater. I'm gonna headcannon this one and say it's a SuperSUV that Kal had.
    Last edited by Superlad93; 08-09-2018 at 01:33 PM.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Agreed on that, the direction seems like a huge improvement in and of itself. It's been a while since has really had something of a mission statement. I love how much it felt like a return of Supergirl as she was in 2011, with that costume as an easter egg. Both tites felt pretty light but I guess that's a good thing about having two instead of one a week.

Maguire I think was better here than last month.

One thing that I noticed and really, really loved was the level of cohesion between the titles (and the DCU in general). There's a real sense of tangibility being built over in the Superman side of things, and it really gives both this book and the Superman books a nice little "boost", imo.

Honestly feels like the better parts of Marvel cohesion, and I don't even think that's totally because of Bendis (even though I'm sure the Superman world benefiting from it so heavily is all him). It seems like it's a combined effort from Bendis, Snyder, King, Tynion, and Williamson.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

I enjoyed it as well. There were some nice moments between Kara and Kal, and this new direction feels like it has tons of potential.

This issue was really good. I think the personality that was given to Kara has something for every kind of Kara fan from Pre-Crisis to the New 52 and Rebirth. Kara unravelling a conspiracy is a great premise and I think it is a shake-up that Kara needed. I loved everything Krypto did in this issue and I think he will be a great way to add levity to the story going forward.
    “Somewhere, in our darkest night, we made up the story of a man who will never let us down.”

- Grant Morrison on Superman

Good issue. Orlando’s run was boring to me, he was mimicking the TV show and that’s not really what I want. I’m glad some of the New 52 personality has resurfaced here. But one thing from Rebirth I’m glad to see sticking around is Kal & Kara being on good terms and loving one another. The letter was so sweet it made my tooth ache. I can’t wait to see Kara and Krypto’s adventures in space.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

I also got bored quickly by Orlando's run, but this looks like it has potential.

Looks like I'm reading Supergirl again. Neat!
    Marvel Pull - Fantastic Four, The Immortal Hulk
    DC Pull - The Green Lantern, Goddess Mode
    Indie Pull - The Wrong Earth, High Heaven

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

I'm already loving this brand new direction for Kara.
    The tv-series inspired Supergirl is not going to be missed.

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

Loved every minute of it. I kept reading Kara's dialogue in the voice of Laura Bailey, the voice of Kara in Injustice 2. The art was good.

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    I've seen several Supergirl fan blogs like Too Dangerous for a Girl and Supergirl Commentary Box express disappointment over this current portrayal of the character compared with the TV inspired one. They think Supergirl is being written too angsty and angry which was their problem with the New 52 version and Andreyeko's comment about Supergirl never having dealt with trauma didn't go down well given the stories where Kara does nothing but deal with her trauma. I see this run being as mixed as Bendis' Superman.

Quote Originally Posted by Lvenger View Post
    I've seen several Supergirl fan blogs like Too Dangerous for a Girl and Supergirl Commentary Box express disappointment over this current portrayal of the character compared with the TV inspired one. They think Supergirl is being written too angsty and angry which was their problem with the New 52 version and Andreyeko's comment about Supergirl never having dealt with trauma didn't go down well given the stories where Kara does nothing but deal with her trauma. I see this run being as mixed as Bendis' Superman.
    No one is ever going to satisfy 100% of the audience. Did they love Orlando's Supergirl? Because I hated that, and sales for that dropped like a rock. Give me mixed but interesting over bland and unoffensive anytime.

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    I liked that Supergirl, despite having great tragedy in her life, remains hopeful and optimistic and can even laugh once in a while. That's why I like the TV version. It's gotten to be a cliche where
    superheroes have to be mopey and miserable and sometimes not even want to be a hero. If I want that I can read Batman.

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    I liked that Supergirl, despite having great tragedy in her life, remains hopeful and optimistic and can even laugh once in a while. That's why I like the TV version. It's gotten to be a cliche where
    superheroes have to be mopey and miserable and sometimes not even want to be a hero. If I want that I can read Batman.
    Just to be clear this issue isn't all wailing and clashing of teeth. Kara still laughs, still loves her cousin and her adopted family, and still has her compassion. But she's determined to get to the bottom of Rogal whether others want her to or not.

The idea that allowing Supergirl to be rightfully angry, sad, or conflicted is somehow a bad thing or too close to Batman is a really, really sad thought to hear being passed around. I mean, cut the girl some slack! She just had to basically relive krypton being destroyed again, and now she's just found out that it was more than some natural disaster--it has a face/faces. She wasn't snarling at anyone. She didn't jack up GL for info. She didn't even actually mope in the traditional sense. She got proactive actually.

She ran the whole freakin gambit of emotions in this issue. Didn't you guys see her face light up when she saw Krypto, or when she had her happy cry, or when right after that when she had a big ass grin on her face while talking to her cousin's dog?

I'd hate to think that people are spouting hyperbole about this book because she's not being written as a "stretford wife" type. Too often do female character have to live in the box of "tough girl" or "always cool girl." That's the real cliche, imo.

I dunno, man, I tried super hard to write and rewrite that so that this wasn't some sort of rant, but, ya know, take it for what you see it as.