Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Hawkman #3 (Spoilers)

Here's the rundown before I share my thoughts:

• Hawkman’s made it to Dinosaur Island, and is already in the thick of battle with a tyrannosaurus rex.
    • After sending the T-Rex running, Carter spends the night reflecting on the waning memories of his past lives, as well as where he’s been and where he’s presently going: the island’s mountaintop.
    • Khufu’s scepter in-hand, Hawkman flies to the mountaintop the next morning, only for a violent flock of Feitherans to swarm him on his way there.
    • During the ensuing fight, Carter learns his mace is drawn to him, granting him an added bit of reach in the scuffle.
    • Dispatching the last of his foes, Hawkman sets down near the mountain’s summit before a small cave, where a lone Feitheran elder waits to greet him.
    • As his “grandfathers’ grandfathers” before him, this Feitheran was tasked with overseeing the “Aerie” by “The Line of the Hawkman.”
    • His task done, the Feitheran does his best Jedi impersonation and fades away in death, leaving Carter to enter the Aerie alone.
    • Inside, Hawkman uses Khufu’s scepter to activate the impossibly futuristic tech within.
    • The Aerie is revealed as a planetarium, but the constellations it highlights are not of Earth.
    • The sight brings memories rushing back to Carter, and the name “Kalmoran” once again escapes him.
    • With a flash, Hawkman is once again whisked away through time and space.
    • His destination this time: atop Thanagar’s towering statue of Kalmoran, kneeling before the wrong end of Katar Hol’s blaster.

Another good issue, but I have to concede that it felt padded for trade. Both the fight with the T-Rex and the Feitherans went on a page or two longer than they needed to, and there was too much exposition devoted to things we already know. I suspect Venditti was just working towards that final splash page, wanting to leave it there as a cliffhanger, but the material that led up to it didn’t really leave me with the epic sense of awe that it should have had. Still an overall fun issue, though.

I also continue to give Venditti bonus points for infusing each issue with little nods to Hawkman lore without it getting in the way of the story, like this issue’s inclusion of the Feitherans. Oh, and I loved the “I wish I weren’t alone” line just hanging there all by itself during Hawkman’s ascension to the mountaintop. Good use of subtlety there. We didn’t need any names; we know who Carter’s talking about.

Hitch’s art, meanwhile, continues to impress me, even though it’s not my usual cup of tea. The battle with the Feitherans was brutally rendered, and there’s a decent sense of motion to his panels. I also liked the look of battered Carter afterwards. Hitch absolutely outdid himself on the final page, though. You get a good sense of not just who Katar is with that imagery, but also Thanagar itself. Pretty impressive work for a single page.

Oddly enough, though, the most exciting development of this issue for me was the revelation Carter experienced during his battle with the Feitherans involving his mace. Like Captain America’s shield, it gives Hawkman that much more versatility in combat, while allowing him to retain his most iconic weapon regardless of the type of skirmish he may find himself in. I love it, and I hope other writers take note and continue to use it. For Hawkgirl, too.

Anyhoo, not as good as the two issues that came before it, but solid all the same. Next issue stands a good chance of being the best one yet, though. I can’t wait to see Hawkworld Katar Hol again.

Fun Fact: Hawkman actually has battled a T-Rex before. Off the top of my head, he did it in the not-so-long-ago-published Wednesday Comics. Sorry. I just had to point that out.
    Batman: I need your help finding a man named Vulko.
    Hawkman: You want him dead or alive?
    - Justice League #17

Venditti is great and the series has been well-written, but I’m really not a fan of mixing the Thanagarian mythology with the reincarnation stuff. Personally, I’d prefer Katar to be the Hawkman of the main DC Earth and Carter to be the Hawkman of Earth-Two. But if Carter has to be the main Hawkman, he shouldn’t be connected to Katar.
    Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by KurtW95 View Post
    Venditti is great and the series has been well-written, but I’m really not a fan of mixing the Thanagarian mythology with the reincarnation stuff. Personally, I’d prefer Katar to be the Hawkman of the main DC Earth and Carter to be the Hawkman of Earth-Two. But if Carter has to be the main Hawkman, he shouldn’t be connected to Katar.
    Completely agree with this.

I have no issue with Carter Hall and think he is one of the most important parts of the history of the JSA and belongs in the DC Universe. However, Katar Hol is my Hawkman and I don't want him involved with the reincarnation either. I want him to be a separate entity with his own history and character.

The Son of Suns Clairaudient Freedom Soldier's Avatar

DC's best title, and a top 4 DC-Marvel book, Venditti has joined the top tier of Priest, Waid, Ewing, and Busiek!
    Take a couple of minutes and check out this new comic book, friends: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...no-more-crises

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post
    Completely agree with this.

I have no issue with Carter Hall and think he is one of the most important parts of the history of the JSA and belongs in the DC Universe. However, Katar Hol is my Hawkman and I don't want him involved with the reincarnation either. I want him to be a separate entity with his own history and character.
    I guess I'll be the voice of dissent.

I am really a fan of mixing the Thanagarian mythology with the reincarnation stuff; it simplifies and expands Hawkman simultaneously.

While becoming a space cop has worked for Green Lantern, I don't feel it worked as well for Hawkman.

Also, having Katar to be the Hawkman of the main DC Earth and Carter to be the Hawkman of Earth-Two is not really an option anymore unfortunately. (Thanks for the hot mess, DC's TPTB.)

This was another great issue. I enjoyed the brief fight with the dinosaur and the long fight with the ghostly Feitherans. I really enjoyed his mention of Gentleman Ghost, Shadow Thief and Lion Mane. The returnable mace is neat. I will always hope we will see more reimagined golden-age foes.

Astonishing Member

Yes, ideally JSA would be connected to Earth 2 with its own history -- and both Hawkmen would be parallel versions of each other. I like Carter having a Thanagar connection -- but I don't like that he is replacing Katar. And I've never liked Kendra as much as Shayera or even Shiera.
    Last edited by kcekada; 08-09-2018 at 06:13 AM.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

I am so into this.

"If this triggers some kind of death trap, I'm going to be annoyed."

I love this book more with every issue.

Fantastic Member

I felt like this issue slowed down a little bit I’m still excited to see where it goes. Plus hitch is still absolutely killing it on the art.
    "If I come back from the dead one more time I'll be seriously in danger of turning into some kind of walking cliche." - Jean Grey, Uncanny X-Men #284

BANNED

Another great issue. Hawkman continues to be one of my favorite reads from DC

This book is stellar. Hitch is bringing his A game on a monthly, and the story is moving at a nice pace. It may be slow for some but when the art is this good I say let it breathe. Just a gorgeous book and attentuon to detail by both writer and artist.

And the Sejic covers are just the cherry on top!
    "Dear World: the nation of mutantkind is watching you. Do not #$%& with us." -Cable-

BANNED

This is an extremely good book.

Boisterously Confused

I'm interested in where the story goes, and the art looks good. I do have a few nits to pick:
    • I don't like the disappearing wings. It makes sense from a practical standpoint, and it makes sense if they're Thanagarian technology. That said, Hawkman arguably has one of the five best looks in comics, if not the best. He loses something in being drawn without those magnificent wings.
    • The mjolniring mace is neat, but I don't like it. Hawkman's schtick has always been using a wide array of ancient weapons, and I hate to seeing him pared down to one.
    • There's still no world-building going on for Hawkman. I get that he's on a quest at the moment that doesn't leave a lot of room for that, but I hope they'll introduce a supporting cast at some point. His world feels rather empty as things stand.

Still, it's a good read, and I'm going to hang around a bit longer.

I'm a huge Katar Hol Hawkman fan, but I'm really enjoying this and want to see where it goes. Can't wait for the next issue involving Katar.

Did anyone else notice that Heroes in Crisis ad, the one that shows two Hawkmen? I wonder what that's all about.

Is that two Hawkmen, or is it another character who looks like Hawkman?
    WHO DAT?!!

I'm a huge Katar Hol Hawkman fan, but I'm really enjoying this and want to see where it goes. Can't wait for the next issue involving Katar.

Did anyone else notice that Heroes in Crisis ad, the one that shows two Hawkmen? I wonder what that's all about.

Is that two Hawkmen, or is it another character who looks like Hawkman?
    WHO DAT?!!