Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Incredible Member

Wanted: Dead or Alive. Standard B movie action film starring Rutger Hauer that was largely forgettable, until the end when he leads Gene Simmons to the police by the pin of a grenade in Gene's mouth. Rutger then tells the officer to send the reward money to the family of the man Gene killed and as for the bonus for bringing Gene in alive?

That's when he says "F%^& the bonus" and pulls the pin on the grenade.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Good Movie/Bad Ending: The Village
    A taut, edge of your seat thriller written and directed by M. Night Shyamalan which was about a small band of people in a isolated, 19th century Pennsylvania village threatened by deadly, unseen creatures lurking in the woods. Turns out said village was in a modern day reserve and the "creatures" were actors who's job was to keep the villagers from leaving. That so-called twist ending so infuriated me, I swore off watching Shyamalan films, and I haven't gone back on that promise.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Incredible Member

I remember having this discussion way back in 1990 with my college roommates. Here were my examples of each.
    No Way Out (Kevin Costner film) obvious as heck plot our hero (spoilers I guess, lol) is a career military man who is being set up as a Russian spy by I think Gene Hackman who frames him by claiming he is a Russian spy, our hero does hero things and predictably proves his innocence and the bad politicians guilt, yawn but at the very end of the movie it is revealed that Costner is in fact a Russian spy so you the watcher were rooting for a villain the whole time.
    Miller's Crossing was my argument for the other Gabriel Byrne stars in a movie full of deep rich characters and raises a ton of interesting questions, in a prohibition era period piece but by the end of the movie it answered pretty much none of them. When it was over I was like what about, and what about and then what about???

While watching the movie I enjoyed the good movie with the crap ending but once it was over I have always held the boring movie with the splash ending in higher regard, though you risk the watcher not even waiting around til the ending if you play it that way. Kong Skull Island didn't really move me, not bad just meh as a movie until after it was over and we got the (spoilers again) tie in to the Godzilla universe.
    Also for me Rogue One was ok for a movie in general, but pretty blah as a Star Wars movie, until the last scenes with Vader and tying it directly into A New Hope, that scene took the movie from meh/ok I guess to Dang this is basically episode 3.9. Not sure if sitting through a 2 hours movie for a five minutes worth of scenes is cost effective though.
    Last edited by EmeraldGladiator; 08-15-2018 at 06:50 AM.

Fantastic Member

And a spanking!

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by SteveGus View Post
    The most obvious bad ending of a good movie I can think of is the 1956 version of The Bad Seed, about a murderous little girl who's the daughter of a serial killer. In the book and play the film was based on, the little girl gets away with her crimes. That wasn't allowed by the Hays Code, so the movie literally ends with a bolt from the blue.
    And a spanking from Mom!