Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mighty Member

Wanted: Dead or Alive. Standard B movie action film starring Rutger Hauer that was largely forgettable, until the end when he leads Gene Simmons to the police by the pin of a grenade in Gene's mouth. Rutger then tells the officer to send the reward money to the family of the man Gene killed and as for the bonus for bringing Gene in alive?

That's when he says "F%^& the bonus" and pulls the pin on the grenade.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Good Movie/Bad Ending: The Village
    A taut, edge of your seat thriller written and directed by M. Night Shyamalan which was about a small band of people in a isolated, 19th century Pennsylvania village threatened by deadly, unseen creatures lurking in the woods. Turns out said village was in a modern day reserve and the "creatures" were actors who's job was to keep the villagers from leaving. That so-called twist ending so infuriated me, I swore off watching Shyamalan films, and I haven't gone back on that promise.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Astonishing Member

I remember having this discussion way back in 1990 with my college roommates. Here were my examples of each.
    No Way Out (Kevin Costner film) obvious as heck plot our hero (spoilers I guess, lol) is a career military man who is being set up as a Russian spy by I think Gene Hackman who frames him by claiming he is a Russian spy, our hero does hero things and predictably proves his innocence and the bad politicians guilt, yawn but at the very end of the movie it is revealed that Costner is in fact a Russian spy so you the watcher were rooting for a villain the whole time.
    Miller's Crossing was my argument for the other Gabriel Byrne stars in a movie full of deep rich characters and raises a ton of interesting questions, in a prohibition era period piece but by the end of the movie it answered pretty much none of them. When it was over I was like what about, and what about and then what about???

While watching the movie I enjoyed the good movie with the crap ending but once it was over I have always held the boring movie with the splash ending in higher regard, though you risk the watcher not even waiting around til the ending if you play it that way. Kong Skull Island didn't really move me, not bad just meh as a movie until after it was over and we got the (spoilers again) tie in to the Godzilla universe.
    Also for me Rogue One was ok for a movie in general, but pretty blah as a Star Wars movie, until the last scenes with Vader and tying it directly into A New Hope, that scene took the movie from meh/ok I guess to Dang this is basically episode 3.9. Not sure if sitting through a 2 hours movie for a five minutes worth of scenes is cost effective though.
    Last edited by EmeraldGladiator; 08-15-2018 at 06:50 AM.

Mighty Member

And a spanking!

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by SteveGus View Post
    The most obvious bad ending of a good movie I can think of is the 1956 version of The Bad Seed, about a murderous little girl who's the daughter of a serial killer. In the book and play the film was based on, the little girl gets away with her crimes. That wasn't allowed by the Hays Code, so the movie literally ends with a bolt from the blue.
    And a spanking from Mom!

The Last American Virgin - generic movie with one of the greatest and gut punching endings of all time.

Its a not very good generic teen sex comedy from the 80's that got lost in the shadow of Fast Times at Ridgemont High which came out two weeks later. Its your typical teens want to get laid movie with all kinds of R rated hijinks throughout. The main character is named Gary and he's just ordinary with nothing particularly special about him. One of his friends is named Rick and the jock who gets all the girls. Gary falls for a girl named Helen but naturally she is into Rick. Helen ends up pregnant by Rick who dumps her wanting nothing to do with this "slut" who got pregnant. In rushes Gary to comfort Helen and he even pays for her abortion and helps her recuperate. She invites him to her birthday party and Gary goes thinking he's finally got a chance. He walks in only to find Helen making out with Rick. There is an incredibly painful 30 seconds (that feels like hours) where you just see Gary's heart breaking as he watches and Helen and Rick then notice him standing there. He then walks away as the 80's song Just Once (perfect song for the moment) starts to play. Gary drives away in tears and the credits roll.

The movie would be utterly forgottable except for the ending. Because we all either have been a Gary or know someone who was a Gary. For me, I was a Gary. I fell in love but she chose someone else. I was devastated. About a year later, having not seen or talked to her in nearly that whole time, she finds me and breaks down in tears about how abusive the guy was and how he had raped her a few days earlier saying she made the wrong choice when she picked him over me. We spent most of the next week together (nothing physical, I was trying to be there as a friend not some creepo). A week later she went back to him and by facebook is still with him now over 20 years later. Haven't talked to her since then but it still bothers me to this day that she chose a rapist over me. I'm married to a great woman now but in some ways I know I've never gotten over this and probably never will. So I think I know exactly how Gary felt in that moment which is why this ending resonates with me because it was so realistic in how life often actually turns out rather than the fairy tale ending most Hollywood movies give you.

Last edited by TriggerWarning; 08-14-2019 at 02:10 AM.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by TriggerWarning View Post
    The Last American Virgin - generic movie with one of the greatest and gut punching endings of all time.

Its a not very good generic teen sex comedy from the 80's that got lost in the shadow of Fast Times at Ridgemont High which came out two weeks later. Its your typical teens want to get laid movie with all kinds of R rated hijinks throughout. The main character is named Gary and he's just ordinary with nothing particularly special about him. One of his friends is named Rick and the jock who gets all the girls. Gary falls for a girl named Helen but naturally she is into Rick. Helen ends up pregnant by Rick who dumps her wanting nothing to do with this "slut" who got pregnant. In rushes Gary to comfort Helen and he even pays for her abortion and helps her recuperate. She invites him to her birthday party and Gary goes thinking he's finally got a chance. He walks in only to find Helen making out with Rick. There is an incredibly painful 30 seconds (that feels like hours) where you just see Gary's heart breaking as he watches and Helen and Rick then notice him standing there. He then walks away as the 80's song Just Once (perfect song for the moment) starts to play. Gary drives away in tears and the credits roll.

The movie would be utterly forgottable except for the ending. Because we all either have been a Gary or know someone who was a Gary. For me, I was a Gary. I fell in love but she chose someone else. I was devastated. About a year later, having not seen or talked to her in nearly that whole time, she finds me and breaks down in tears about how abusive the guy was and how he had raped her a few days earlier saying she made the wrong choice when she picked him over me. We spent most of the next week together (nothing physical, I was trying to be there as a friend not some creepo). A week later she went back to him and by facebook is still with him now over 20 years later. Haven't talked to her since then but it still bothers me to this day that she chose a rapist over me. I'm married to a great woman now but in some ways I know I've never gotten over this and probably never will. So I think I know exactly how Gary felt in that moment which is why this ending resonates with me because it was so realistic in how life often actually turns out rather than the fairy tale ending most Hollywood movies give you.

Growing up, i heard so many thing about this movie but when i decided to watch it I stunned.

It's starts off very generic but eventually transforms into something else entirely....like damn, that ending completely came out of nowhere.

Mighty Member

Terminator Three....
    Arnie was great as always, but the film was a let down, and the villain not half as good as Robert Patrick.
    But that end.....I never saw it coming. And rewatching it on YouTube still gives me cold chills.

Quote Originally Posted by EmeraldGladiator View Post
    I remember having this discussion way back in 1990 with my college roommates. Here were my examples of each.
    No Way Out (Kevin Costner film) obvious as heck plot our hero (spoilers I guess, lol) is a career military man who is being set up as a Russian spy by I think Gene Hackman who frames him by claiming he is a Russian spy, our hero does hero things and predictably proves his innocence and the bad politicians guilt, yawn but at the very end of the movie it is revealed that Costner is in fact a Russian spy so you the watcher were rooting for a villain the whole time.
    Miller's Crossing was my argument for the other Gabriel Byrne stars in a movie full of deep rich characters and raises a ton of interesting questions, in a prohibition era period piece but by the end of the movie it answered pretty much none of them. When it was over I was like what about, and what about and then what about???
    Disagree with both of those - No Way Out is a very good thriller, and I think the ending twist makes it (and I think he's still the good guy - he genuinely loved Young's character, and he's done with the KGB in the end); and Miller's Crossing is one of my favourite films and I think it's great - what were the questions you feel were raised but never answered?

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Panic View Post
    Disagree with both of those - No Way Out is a very good thriller, and I think the ending twist makes it (and I think he's still the good guy - he genuinely loved Young's character, and he's done with the KGB in the end); and Miller's Crossing is one of my favourite films and I think it's great - what were the questions you feel were raised but never answered?
    Yes, I liked No Way Out....Costner, ironically was depicted as a better man than the all Americans.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by David Walton View Post
    Has the ending ever been explained?
    Yeah...no. Not really, it was supposed to continue, but someone decided it wasn't successful enough and they rebooted the franchise. So, Mark Wahlberg got to a different timeline where Apes ruled the world. It was the year 2100 if I remember correctly.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Good Movie/Bad Ending: The Village
    A taut, edge of your seat thriller written and directed by M. Night Shyamalan which was about a small band of people in a isolated, 19th century Pennsylvania village threatened by deadly, unseen creatures lurking in the woods. Turns out said village was in a modern day reserve and the "creatures" were actors who's job was to keep the villagers from leaving. That so-called twist ending so infuriated me, I swore off watching Shyamalan films, and I haven't gone back on that promise.
    The ending was great

Quote Originally Posted by Kusanagi View Post
    I wouldn't call it bad necessarily, but I felt the Mist was 'meh' to 'okay not great' for the most part. That is until the ending, which is one of the bleakest sucker punches I've ever seen. It takes an otherwise forgettable monster movie into something memorable.
    Quote Originally Posted by motherofpearl1 View Post
    Terminator Three....
    Arnie was great as always, but the film was a let down, and the villain not half as good as Robert Patrick.
    But that end.....I never saw it coming. And rewatching it on YouTube still gives me cold chills.
    I have to agree on both counts. I recently saw The Mist and wasn't as wowed by it as others, but that ending was quite brutal.

As for Terminator 3, yeah wow. "Connor? What the hell is happening?! Who's in charge there?!" "...I am"

My submission to this thread for a good movie with a meh ending would be Vanilla Sky. I thought it was a very gripping psychological thriller, until the reveal at the end. I don't want to spoil the movie, but for me it was a case of "Just why?"
    Take my dreams, childish and weak at the seams
    Please don't analyze, please just be there for me

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Growing up, i heard so many thing about this movie but when i decided to watch it I stunned.

It's starts off very generic but eventually transforms into something else entirely....like damn, that ending completely came out of nowhere.
    I never saw it when it first came out as I was too young at the time and the movie had largely been forgotten by the time I was old enough see R movies.

So the first time I ever saw anything of it was about two years ago when I was flipping through channels and stopped on this movie right about where that end scene starts. I only saw those 2-3 minutes and even without any context my brain was WHAT THE **** kind of downer ending was that. So I then watched the whole thing.

I consider American Beauty to be the sequel with Gary being the Kevin Spacey character.

Fantastic Member

I throw in the ending DOOM