Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default More Famous IRL: Bruce Wayne or Vlad Dracula?

Who truly owns the Night?

Count Dracula or his literary offspring (via Sherlock Holmes and Zorro) the Batman?

Who is more famous in real life?

Who is a bigger part of pop culture?

And how do you measure such things?

Well, the thread title is Dracula or Bruce Wayne. Between those 2 names, it's Dracula without a doubt. More people on this planet would be familiar with the name "Dracula" than they would with "Bruce Wayne."

But if it's Dracula vs Batman? I have to believe Batman has more name recognition, or at least it'd be difficult to find someone who has never heard of either. I read somewhere that Superman's 'S' is the most recognizable symbol on Earth next to the Christian cross...if that is true, then I would say Batman is known by more people than Dracula.

Dracula > Bruce Wayne
    Batman > Dracula
    "Darkseid...always hated music..."

Every post I make, it should be assumed by the reader that the following statement is attached: "It's all subjective. What works for me doesn't necessarily work for you, and vice versa, and that's ok. You may have a different opinion on it, but this is mine. That's the wonderful thing about being a comics fan, it's all subjective."

With pop culture, it depends on the time peiod. 50 years ago they were making a lot of Dracula movies and no Batman ones. Today, Batman is everywhere & Dracula doesn't show up much.

Every post I make, it should be assumed by the reader that the following statement is attached: "It's all subjective. What works for me doesn't necessarily work for you, and vice versa, and that's ok. You may have a different opinion on it, but this is mine. That's the wonderful thing about being a comics fan, it's all subjective."

Quote Originally Posted by Clark_Kent View Post
    With pop culture, it depends on the time peiod. 50 years ago they were making a lot of Dracula movies and no Batman ones. Today, Batman is everywhere & Dracula doesn't show up much.
    Shame, wish I could get some modern Dracula films of the same quality as the Batman stuff. The best Dracula appearances this millennium have been arguably the Hellsing anime, the animated The Batman vs Dracula movie, and the Castlevania Netflix cartoon short series. And that's just sad!

Anyone. Anywhere.Anytime. Arsenal's Avatar

Well, the thread title is Dracula or Bruce Wayne. Between those 2 names, it's Dracula without a doubt. More people on this planet would be familiar with the name "Dracula" than they would with "Bruce Wayne."

Dracula > Bruce Wayne
    Batman > Dracula
    Came ITT to say exactly this

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Shame, wish I could get some modern Dracula films of the same quality as the Batman stuff. The best Dracula appearances this millennium have been arguably the Hellsing anime, the animated The Batman vs Dracula movie, and the Castlevania Netflix cartoon short series. And that's just sad!
    I wouldn't mind a remake of Bram Stoker's Dracula, I think it might work. I own the original, and love it, but a remake without Keanu's 'accent' would be great.

I was in the minority on Dracula: Untold...it wasn't high art or anything, but I quite enjoyed what they were going for.

BANNED

Bruce Wayne is no competition here, so on to Batman. He may be a contender but since his whole aesthetic borrows from a number of characters, Dracula included, I still say he edges out in the pop culture consciente due to seniority, the staying power of the whole genre to this day, the whole gothic subculture rivaling the comic afficionados and his novel being an all time classic.
    Last edited by Aioros22; 08-09-2018 at 04:57 PM.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Dracula over both Bruce and Batman
    Dracula is older, the archetype to almost all modern vampires to the point that people more likely never know about the traditional vampire mythologies, and yeah, Batman was influenced by his aesthetic.
    The archetype for superheroes is still Superman.

I wouldn't mind a remake of Bram Stoker's Dracula, I think it might work. I own the original, and love it, but a remake without Keanu's 'accent' would be great.

I was in the minority on Dracula: Untold...it wasn't high art or anything, but I quite enjoyed what they were going for.
    Although I have my problems with Bram Stoker's Dracula (Keanu Reeves, the whole Mina romance thing not in the book), but it's still one of the best (and the last great) Dracula movies, and one of my favorite films in general. And I usually give Keanu some credit if only because there's never been a really good Jonathan Harker in film. The last good (but not great) Dracula movie was Dracula 2000.

I liked Dracula Untold too, but it isn't a good Dracula movie. Would love a Dracula with the same powers and special effects, but more traditional evil personality intact.

Quote Originally Posted by daBronzeBomma View Post
    Who truly owns the Night?

Count Dracula or his literary offspring (via Sherlock Holmes and Zorro) the Batman?

Who is more famous in real life?

Who is a bigger part of pop culture?
    I don't know, but can we put all four of them together for a team-up?

Interesting that each had their own vs. Dracula storyline developed, might somewhat at least speak to Dracula's pop culture renown.

Animated- https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....XL._SY445_.jpg
    Last edited by Güicho; 01-31-2019 at 05:06 AM.

I know Batman has teamed up with Sherlock Holmes on at least one occasion... don't know about Zorro?

My guess would be, in terms of overall pop culture influence, it would go:

1. Dracula
    2. Batman
    3. Sherlock Holmes

4. Zorro

I think Vlad gets the nod over Bruce for one reason: look at their respective successors.

Dracula, as the first major vampire, created an entire sub-genre that owes their existence to him. Every single vampire (Lestat, Edward Cullen, Alucard, Barnabas Collins, etc) in fiction for the last 100+ years owes a HUGE debt directly to Dracula.

Can't say the exact same thing about Batman.

Now, Batman does have a MUCH stronger literary body of work over his almost 80 years than Dracula does in his 120+ years. And a much stronger, centralized presence in modern media.

It's close, but the Count has my vote.

In 2018? Batman

One way to measure could be google search results.

Batman 421 mil
    Bruce Wayne 97 mil
    Drac 52 mil

BANNED

Batman has become a vampire but Dracula has never iirc become a vigilante haunting Transylvania as a superhero so....

Quote Originally Posted by theoneandonly View Post
    Batman has become a vampire but Dracula has never iirc become a vigilante haunting Transylvania as a superhero so....
    Though in the movie Dracula Untold he came close. He did have superpowers so sort of a superhero and was the champion of his people against their oppressors.

How many feature films in which has each character been prominent?

I gotta think Drac easily outpaces Bats here, esp in terms of number of professional actors who have portrayed him. If you count tv and stage, then I think the gap lessens, but I'm not sure.