View Poll Results: Which Image comic was your favourite this week?

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • The Beauty #22

0 0%
  • Dead Hand #5

1 6.25%
  • Death or Glory #4

0 0%
  • Dissonance #4

1 6.25%
  • Eternal Empire #10 [series finale]

1 6.25%
  • Farmhand #2

3 18.75%
  • Hey Kids! Comics! [series premiere]

4 25.00%
  • Maestros #7

2 12.50%
  • Medieval Spawn x Witchblade #4 [series finale]

0 0%
  • New Lieutenants of Metal #2 (of 4)

0 0%
  • Oblivion Song #6

2 12.50%
  • Outpost Zero #2

0 0%
  • Port of Earth #8

1 6.25%
  • Savage Dragon #237

1 6.25%
  • Unnatural #2 (of 12)

0 0%

Default Weekly Image poll #32 - Hey Kids, Comics!

On time this week!

Following the hecka late poll last week, which, predictably, spawned zero discussion haha, let's quickly move on. For what it's worth, Paper Girls #23 scored the most votes, that's two BKV wins in a row.

This week: The Beauty is back with a new storyline, Dissonance wraps up its first storyline and will be on break for at least 3 months, Eternal Empire wraps up its run entirely this week... That feels too early. Maestros also ends a storyline, and another series finale happens for Medieval Spawn x Witchblade, although at least that one was always intended to run for 4 issues. Not enough end-of-storylines for ya yet? Fine, Gideon Song and Port of Earth have them too. Unnatural also reprints its first issue, that's a good sign.

New this week is Hey Kids! Comics! This looks to be the Inside Baseball of comics, with stories from turbulent formative years of the Direct Market. A whole bunch of people have been anonymised, so let's hope it contains a bunch of spicy rumours. Howard Chaykin's doing this series.

315268.jpg

You may already but I am a huge Chaykin fanboy. His recent works regarding early days of broadcasting seem like this look at comic publication history is an interesting next step for him.

small press afficionado matt levin's Avatar

Of all these, I got only Death or Glory and haven't read it yet; not very involved with the story even after four issues already, which doesn't auger well for my continuing to follow this title much longer, alas...
    Age/Bronze, Age/Reptiles, Alex&Ada, Anne Bonnie, Astro City, Bone, Briggs Land, Cerebus, Criminal, Courtney Crumrin, Eleanor & the Egret, Fables, Fatale, Fell, Grass Kings, Green Valley, Goon, Gotham Midnight, Groo, Hellboy, Hillbilly, Incognegro, Jack Staff, JL8, Jonah Hex, Kane, Lazarus, Little Nemo, Lone Wolf, Next Wave, Popeye, Powers, Princess Ugg, Resident Alien, SiP, Squirrel Girl, Stray Bullets, 10G, Thief of Thieves, Tuki, Uncle Scrooge, Usagi, Velvet

Fantastic Member

I agree, Death or Glory just isn’t doing it for me like I hoped it would. My vote goes to Oblivion Song for a great end to its first arc, but Farmhand would be in a close second.

Astonishing Member

So much goodness this week! I voted for "The Dead Hand", because I'm totally wrapped up in the story now, and even though this issue maybe didn't move things too much further along, it still did at least fill in some of the backstory, and it kept the suspense up. I was tempted to vote for "Farmhand", which also didn't move things all that much further than where the initial issue left them, but the developments that did occur, and especially the cliffhanger, showed that this title is one you'll want to keep following. "Hey, kids! Comics!" was impressive as well. I didn't vote for it, but there's no denying that it was very well executed. I have to admit that I didn't get very far into Chaykin's "Satellite Sam", but I did read his entire "The Ruff & Reddy Show" mini-series, and it's clear that he has his finger on the pulse of that particular era in show business. If the story had been more nearly original, I would have voted for it, but of course the whole point is that this isn't an original story, since it's in fact thinly veiled history. In any case, I'll keep buying this one. The disappointment was the second issue of "Outpost Zero", where the story was essentially (forgive the pun) frozen. I'll buy the next issue and see whether it picks up, but if it doesn't, this will be the title that I drop. The real surprise was "Death or Glory". I had rated the previous issues as almost good, but falling short of what I had expected. This issue, though - pow! I have seen very few comic books that so nearly captured the look of a typical summer action movie blockbuster. The art was amazing in how well it captured the breakneck pace and visual feel of a high-speed shoot-out / car chase. I suspect this book may in fact have been written with the movie adaptation in mind, and I usually hate books like that, but this issue was the exception for me. So even though I voted for "The Dead Hand", most of the other ones that I picked up were also well worth the purchase. Way to go, Image!

1 Savage Dragon
    2 Maestros
    3 Oblivion Song

Tangent but did anyone check out Hot Lunch Special #1 (Aftershock)? If you're a fan of most Image stuff you'd prolly find it to your liking.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by dishpan View Post
    Tangent but did anyone check out Hot Lunch Special #1 (Aftershock)? If you're a fan of most Image stuff you'd prolly find it to your liking.
    I bought it. I am a fan of many Image titles, and yes, I liked this book too. Any series that begins with a cop's buying a plastic-wrapped sandwich from a vending machine, biting into it, and then discovering that it contains a severed human finger is off to a good start, IMHO.