Page 147 of 773 FirstFirst ... 4797137143144145146147148149150151157197247647 ... LastLast
Results 2,191 to 2,205 of 11592

Quote Originally Posted by Drops Of Venus View Post

FINALLY a good look at Eternals. Very simple scenes chosen for the teaser, but I like how you can see the director's signature on them already.
    You mean accidentally having a cameraman in the frame? Just kidding, but that goof really pulled me out of it. It's a good thing they have the time to remove it from the final cut, still wondering how they put such a sloppy shot in a trailer.
    Tolstoy will live forever. Some people do. But that's not enough. It's not the length of a life that matters, just the depth of it. The chances we take. The paths we choose. How we go on when our hearts break. Hearts always break and so we bend with our hearts. And we sway. But in the end what matters is that we loved... and lived.

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    Though my cynical hot-take was that this was their way of taking the wind out of Bill Batson's sails by creating their own 'Marvel Family' (poor Billy can't catch a break) and to try and have Carol usurp the title of the premier female superhero over Wonder Woman (same way Cap has now replaced Superman as the moral boy scout superhero) since Warner was asleep at the wheel again and failed to take advantage of WW84 to set up the Wonder Family with Donna, Cassie and Nubia.
    How exactly is having her name removed from the movie title and downgrading her from the lead of her own franchise to one of three equal leads helping in becoming the premier female superhero?
    Tolstoy will live forever. Some people do. But that's not enough. It's not the length of a life that matters, just the depth of it. The chances we take. The paths we choose. How we go on when our hearts break. Hearts always break and so we bend with our hearts. And we sway. But in the end what matters is that we loved... and lived.

Is it bad if the ensemble is all female and made up of characters that Carol has connections to? Not being rhetorical here. Monica still needs to settle whatever negative feelings she might have over Carol being in space while her mom was on the death bed and Kamala is a fan girl of Carol.
    Why does it have to be either/or? We shouldn't only get an all female ensemble at the expense of a female solo. No male solo hero had to lose his name in the title of his franchise for a team movie, you know? It just really bothers me that THIS is the film they decide to forgo their usual convention with. Civil War had most of the other heroes, and Iron Man played almost as big a role as Cap in that film, but it was still Captain America's name in the title.

Ideally we'd get both Captain Marvel 2 and then The Marvels, but I know that's not happening any time soon.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sneakronicity View Post
    Why does it have to be either/or? We shouldn't only get an all female ensemble at the expense of a female solo. No male solo hero had to lose his name in the title of his franchise for a team movie, you know? It just really bothers me that THIS is the film they decide to forgo their usual convention with. Civil War had most of the other heroes, and Iron Man played almost as big a role as Cap in that film, but it was still Captain America's name in the title.

Ideally we'd get both Captain Marvel 2 and then The Marvels, but I know that's not happening any time soon.
    Or the Marvels could still be CM2, and A-Force be a separate project. I agree, it shouldn't have to be a choice.

Where the Diwatas and the Triumph Division live

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Maybe "The Marvels" is an event movie and not necessarily Captain Marvel 2? Granted, they're not naming these sequentially anymore but I wonder if they'll re-use the Captain Marvel name again.
    The Marvel.com articles explicitly call "The Marvels" a sequel to Captain Marvel.

https://www.marvel.com/articles/movi...ebrates-movies
    The Marvels: November 11, 2022

The sequel to Captain Marvel flies higher, further, faster with director Nia DaCosta as Brie Larson (Captain Marvel) is joined by Teyonah Parris (Monica Rambeau) and Iman Vellani (Kamala Khan).

https://www.marvel.com/articles/movi...-marvels-title
    Prepare for a cosmic adventure with Carol, Monica, and Kamala!

BY RACHEL PAIGE
    In a video celebrating the love of storytelling and the Marvel Cinematic Universe’s most memorable moments, Marvel Studios gives a hint of what’s to come in Phase 4! This includes a brand new title to the sequel to Captain Marvel!
    Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 /Tangled/G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero/Transformers G1 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "ヒロ、お前を信じてる。" タダシ、『ベイマックス』。
    "You were my my new dream." "And you were mine." Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel.
    "Knowing is half the battle."
    G.I. Joe.
    Know the CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by Ravin' Ray View Post
    The Marvel.com articles explicitly call "The Marvels" a sequel to Captain Marvel.

https://www.marvel.com/articles/movi...ebrates-movies
    The Marvels: November 11, 2022

The sequel to Captain Marvel flies higher, further, faster with director Nia DaCosta as Brie Larson (Captain Marvel) is joined by Teyonah Parris (Monica Rambeau) and Iman Vellani (Kamala Khan).

https://www.marvel.com/articles/movi...-marvels-title
    Prepare for a cosmic adventure with Carol, Monica, and Kamala!

BY RACHEL PAIGE
    In a video celebrating the love of storytelling and the Marvel Cinematic Universe’s most memorable moments, Marvel Studios gives a hint of what’s to come in Phase 4! This includes a brand new title to the sequel to Captain Marvel!
    So I guess the modern trend of female solo Superhero movies being period pieces while only the ensembles gets to be in the present day continues.

Sorry Carol...

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    So I guess the modern trend of female solo Superhero movies being period pieces while only the ensembles gets to be in the present day continues.

Sorry Carol...
    I mean, the movie is about Carol and two other women directly inspired and influenced by her. I'm not sure I'm seeing your compliant here. For all we know, it'll be a Civil War situation, where despite being a pocket Avengers film, Steve was still very much the central through line and thematic focus of the film. Or, hell, like the FoX-Men, which were actually all Wolverine movies at heart until Apocalypse. Now there you would have a genuine complaint, as those movies screwed any character not named Xavier, Magneto or Wolverine.

Also, how is this any different that changing Ant-Man 2 to Ant-Man and the Wasp? Paul Rudd was still the lead, and Scott was the central piece of the narrative. But it also elevated Hope, which worked quite well for the film. It was unquestionably an Ant-Man sequel, but it was also the start of something new. Precedent is a powerful thing.

Would you still be complaining if they called it Captain Marvel 2, because that must mean that Monica and Kamala are going to get short shrift and be glorified cameos? This feels very much like looking for something to be offended by, though I freely admit I may just not be understanding the arguments being made. These movies are not a zero sum game, where elevating one character must, by definition, come at the expense of another. We can share the stage and all get to be cool. Carol can still be the lead, and totally badass, but now she also gets to be shown to be inspiring a new generation of heroes in her wake. Which only elevates the character, in my estimation. Just as Sam becoming Cap not only boosts that character to an even greater level of prominence, but it also enlarges (or, given the context here, perhaps embiggens) Steve's legacy in the MCU. More Marvels means a bigger footprint for Carol, not a smaller one.

I, for one, can't wait for this film. Or the Ms. Marvel D+ series for that matter. I just hope they find some way to bring Annette Benning back as Mar-Vell again. Four Marvels for Phase 4 would be delightful to me.

Astonishing Member MasterOfMagnetism's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by chicago_bastard View Post
    You mean accidentally having a cameraman in the frame? Just kidding, but that goof really pulled me out of it. It's a good thing they have the time to remove it from the final cut, still wondering how they put such a sloppy shot in a trailer.
    I'm pretty sure it's not a mistake. There was a plot leak of Eternals about a month ago that specifically mentions that Kingo has a valet who follows him around and tries to document the adventure on video.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/MarvelStudi...n_verified_by/

Despite how little footage was shown it actually heavily corroborates the leak. So I don't think that's a cameraman who was left in by mistake, it's probably the valet character.

The problem is that either this is still a Captain Marvel film with an ensemble cast, a la Thor Ragnarok or Captain America: Civil War, but they removed the title character's name for their only female led solo franchise, something they never did for any of the male heroes, or it's a full ensemble like The Avengers, in which they basically cancelled the only female led solo franchise for a teamup instead. Neither one sits will with me.
    Ragnarok and Civil War had characters from different franchises appearing in another heroes solo movie. The Marvels will star characters who are spin offs of the Captain Marvel franchise. Was Captain America: The Winter Solider detrimental Steve because Bucky's code name is in the second part of that tile? Is Hawkeye detrimental to Clint because he is sharing it with Kate even though this is the first time ever he got to be the lead?

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    True, they did change a lot, but they also used a lot of the comic ideas, like spoilers:
    Sam becoming Cap
    end of spoilers. It's not exact, but really my point is these characters still have a lot of ideas they can adapt. Plus, they're actual superheroes with years of history. As for Echo, she is also an actual superhero with more lore than M'Baku, Okoye or Nakia, plus she represents an underserved demographic in the MCU
    Sam becoming Cap is the only thing they really have in common. The point is, lack of source material hasn't stopped Marvel from giving obscure characters spin offs and they've even completely reinvented established characters. Peggy Carter had very little material from the comics and they gave her a whole tv show. There is a Wakandan spin off in the works which this movie is likely setting up for, who do you think it's going to star? Even if the lead is a character we haven't seen in the MCU before, they are not going to resist spot lighting fan favorites like Okoye. I can totally see them giving the FATWS mini series treatment to the BP supporting cast.

They may have kept the name but there was plenty of complaints (even on this board) about how Cap's third movie got hijacked by IM to be an Avengers movie plus launch pad for the new Spider-man or how the Warriors 3 and Sif got sidelined to make the Thor/Hulk buddy cop concept work.

At least Carol is getting characters who is already a part of the CM brand and will still likely be the lead/focal point of the movie.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterOfMagnetism View Post
    I'm pretty sure it's not a mistake. There was a plot leak of Eternals about a month ago that specifically mentions that Kingo has a valet who follows him around and tries to document the adventure on video.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/MarvelStudi...n_verified_by/

Despite how little footage was shown it actually heavily corroborates the leak. So I don't think that's a cameraman who was left in by mistake, it's probably the valet character.
    Ah okay that explains it. Sounds like a weird plot choice though.

Is it bad if the ensemble is all female and made up of characters that Carol has connections to? Not being rhetorical here. Monica still needs to settle whatever negative feelings she might have over Carol being in space while her mom was on the death bed and Kamala is a fan girl of Carol.

Though my cynical hot-take was that this was their way of taking the wind out of Bill Batson's sails by creating their own 'Marvel Family' (poor Billy can't catch a break) and to try and have Carol usurp the title of the premier female superhero over Wonder Woman (same way Cap has now replaced Superman as the moral boy scout superhero) since Warner was asleep at the wheel again and failed to take advantage of WW84 to set up the Wonder Family with Donna, Cassie and Nubia.
    Is it really a far comparison between this movie and setting up the Wonder Fam in a Wonder Woman sequel when both Monica and Kamala are doing all their character development in TV shows first before appearing in this movie? It’s like teasing Donna as a little girl in WW, then giving her and Cassie their own tv shows and then have WW84 be a team film. It’s not quite the same as Bucky and Captain America , or Rhodey and Tony.

Speaking of which, I’m not sure how I feel about having to watch the TV shows to understand the movies...I guess I’ll have to wait for how it’s executed in the film...

Edit: Although I do agree about the cynical take and about how something about this movie feels disingenuous...it probably doesn’t help that the first Captain Marvel film comes off as a knee-jerk reaction to Disney learning WB was making a Wonder Woman movie and didn’t wanna look bad by comparison...
    Last edited by I'm a Fish; 05-04-2021 at 04:21 AM.

Niffleheim

Feige already said that the general audience don't have to watch the D+ shows to understand or follow the movies. As Scorsese's favorite word the disneyplus shows are just CONTENT.

Quote Originally Posted by Tofali View Post
    Feige already said that the general audience don't have to watch the D+ shows to understand or follow the movies. As Scorsese's favorite word the disneyplus shows are just CONTENT.
    Hmm, ok then.

I’m still going to be a little skeptical about it until I see it for myself.

Really interested in the dynamic Carol will have with Monica and Kamala. Kamala would obviously feel a certain way about Monica not being on good terms with Carol.
    T'Challa
    A.K.A. The Black Panther
    King of Wakanda
    King of the Dead and The Champion of Bast
    Two-Time Time Magazine "Person Of The Year"
    Six-Time People Magazine "Sexiest Man Alive"

Quote Originally Posted by Tofali View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by I'm a Fish View Post
    Hmm, ok then.

I’m still going to be a little skeptical about it until I see it for myself.
    Yeah this sounds like bullshit lol
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html