Page 214 of 774 FirstFirst ... 114164204210211212213214215216217218224264314714 ... LastLast
Results 3,196 to 3,210 of 11608

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    Writing jokes is hard.

Writing jokes for 6 hours of a show is very hard.

Much easier to land a handful in a 2 hour quick paced movie.
    Civil War's jokes landed for an Albert1981 in an "alternate timeline". But I agree, writing jokes for a six hour show is tough as hell. I give the MCU's writers props for trying. But to me, Ultron and Ragnarok were the funniest MCU properties to date. But I like the Whedon/Gunn/Waititi style of humor. So I'm biased there.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Albert1981 View Post
    Civil War's jokes landed for an Albert1981 in an "alternate timeline". But I agree, writing jokes for a six hour show is tough as hell. I give the MCU's writers props for trying. But to me, Ultron and Ragnarok were the funniest MCU properties to date. But I like the Whedon/Gunn/Waititi style of humor. So I'm biased there.
    Yea I though Agents of Shield who had the Whedon people running it were good at throwing in jokes even in the craziest most serious times. I thought the writing was brilliant.

Multiple Marvel Studios LLCs Confirmed For Unannounced Projects Likely To Be Revealed Soon
    https://theronin.org/2021/07/19/mult...mpression=true

Ultimate Member

I agree focus is key. Because if there isn't some sort of tightness to the writing, things could EASILY get out of hand. If it weren't for Feige and the executives at Marvel Studios, I'd say there would be a decent chance the whole multiverse/time travel thing could do the MCU in.
    Ok, but it's not something I'd worry about.

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    Ok, but it's not something I'd worry about.
    Your confidence is inspiring. I just have a slightly more negative view on these things. Here's a quote I found online which pretty much sums up my concerns:

"Color me skeptical.

Before anyone throws a “WELL THAT’S COMIC BOOKS” at me, yes, I know, I read a lot of them. That doesn’t mean I like the multiverse trope. It’s like its cousin time travel: ok in small and controlled amounts, but in the wrong hands it can go haywire as it’s used to mask bad writing. I hope the MCU doesn’t go haywire.

What I’d like: Multiversal shenanigans are mostly confined to Loki s2, the new Doctor Strange and Spider-Man films, and What If. Kang becomes this saga’s Big Bad, always having a presence (like in the next Ant-Man) but not dominating any particular narrative until the finale. A finale that seems to include the Fantastic Four; how appropriate.

What I fear: Multiversal shenanigans dominate the entire MCU and are used to retcon elements of the Infinity Saga, e.g. bringing back Steve, Tony, Natasha, and other such fanservice. The MCU doesn’t mature as a franchise and gets stuck in the same rut as books often do.

Prove me wrong Feige!"

I concur completely with the above comments!

Ultimate Member

Your confidence is inspiring. I just have a slightly more negative view on these things. Here's a quote I found online which pretty much sums up my concerns:

"Color me skeptical.

Before anyone throws a “WELL THAT’S COMIC BOOKS” at me, yes, I know, I read a lot of them. That doesn’t mean I like the multiverse trope. It’s like its cousin time travel: ok in small and controlled amounts, but in the wrong hands it can go haywire as it’s used to mask bad writing. I hope the MCU doesn’t go haywire.

What I’d like: Multiversal shenanigans are mostly confined to Loki s2, the new Doctor Strange and Spider-Man films, and What If. Kang becomes this saga’s Big Bad, always having a presence (like in the next Ant-Man) but not dominating any particular narrative until the finale. A finale that seems to include the Fantastic Four; how appropriate.

What I fear: Multiversal shenanigans dominate the entire MCU and are used to retcon elements of the Infinity Saga, e.g. bringing back Steve, Tony, Natasha, and other such fanservice. The MCU doesn’t mature as a franchise and gets stuck in the same rut as books often do.

Prove me wrong Feige!"

I concur completely with the above comments!
    That quote seems a bit cynical IMO. People are acting like the multiverse is going to be part of everything. I'd wait a bit before I start worrying too much

That quote seems a bit cynical IMO. People are acting like the multiverse is going to be part of everything. I'd wait a bit before I start worrying too much
    I mean... they are seemingly smashing it into Spider-Man.

I think it is fair to be mildly afraid of it getting a bit... much for lack of a better word.
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Niffleheim

Speculation: In regards to Spider-Man getting a multiverse story in live action, I feel it is more a business move than a story based move. Bringing back other Spideys in live action Is a solution for SPUMC to have another Spidey and the Disney-Sony deal to continue to share Holland's version in the MCU only.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Witchfan View Post
    Multiple Marvel Studios LLCs Confirmed For Unannounced Projects Likely To Be Revealed Soon
    https://theronin.org/2021/07/19/mult...mpression=true
    Awesome, sounds exciiting. I'm definitely in.

Quote Originally Posted by inisideguy View Post
    Yea I though Agents of Shield who had the Whedon people running it were good at throwing in jokes even in the craziest most serious times. I thought the writing was brilliant.
    I never watched Agents of Shield, but it seems like the humor in it was good. I mean, I guess I can say Civil War's jokes landed for me. They just weren't too memorable unlike the stuff I saw in Ultron and Ragnarok. Maybe I'll check out Agents of Shield sometime.

Astonishing Member

I never watched Agents of Shield, but it seems like the humor in it was good. I mean, I guess I can say Civil War's jokes landed for me. They just weren't too memorable unlike the stuff I saw in Ultron and Ragnarok. Maybe I'll check out Agents of Shield sometime.

As long as you don't get caught up whether its cannon or not its a ton of fun.

I think there's some hyperbole and fear-mongering there, yeah. BUT, Disney IS opening the door to some comic book silliness that I had hoped would be avoided.

It's comments like these that do "give me pause" about what Marvel Studios has in store for the future:

"Constant multiversal retcons were one of the reasons I gave up on comics after decades of constant reading. I could deal with all the “Crisis” stuff at DC up until Flushpoint, which combined with Dan Didio being in charge just drove me away. Then Marvel started overdoing it a bit as well not too many years after that, and I was out of mainstream comics entirely, and just pick up the occasional indie book now.

I’ve worried about the MCU from the start and the temptation to “blow their whole wad” right way, skipping to current style retcon-full storytelling, instead of drawing on the previous over-half-a-century of material first — but they haven’t let us down yet, so I think Feige knows what he’s doing..."

AND

"It’s one of the reasons I barely bother with big Marvel or DC comics anymore. I can’t keep up with what variation of Batman, or whoever, we’re on at this point and who is/isn’t alive and what stories are now relevant and which aren’t.

All that mess pushed me more toward self-contained, satisfying stories, like Transmetropolian, DMZ, Y The Last Man, Saga (ongoing, of course), etc. and I honestly think I’m happier with those anyway.

It’s not that I don’t love a lot of DC/Marvel properties. It’s just trying to keep up with all the retconning and reinventing is just a headache."

Quote Originally Posted by inisideguy View Post
    As long as you don't get caught up whether its cannon or not its a ton of fun.
    Cannons don't bother me. Not unless I'm standing in front of them. Thanks for the recommendation.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    I mean... they are seemingly smashing it into Spider-Man.

I think it is fair to be mildly afraid of it getting a bit... much for lack of a better word.
    Well, I'm not a fan of Maguire and Garfield returning, so I'm not exactly jumping for joy.

I think there's some hyperbole and fear-mongering there, yeah. BUT, Disney IS opening the door to some comic book silliness that I had hoped would be avoided.

It's comments like these that do "give me pause" about what Marvel Studios has in store for the future:

"Constant multiversal retcons were one of the reasons I gave up on comics after decades of constant reading. I could deal with all the “Crisis” stuff at DC up until Flushpoint, which combined with Dan Didio being in charge just drove me away. Then Marvel started overdoing it a bit as well not too many years after that, and I was out of mainstream comics entirely, and just pick up the occasional indie book now.

I’ve worried about the MCU from the start and the temptation to “blow their whole wad” right way, skipping to current style retcon-full storytelling, instead of drawing on the previous over-half-a-century of material first — but they haven’t let us down yet, so I think Feige knows what he’s doing..."

AND

"It’s one of the reasons I barely bother with big Marvel or DC comics anymore. I can’t keep up with what variation of Batman, or whoever, we’re on at this point and who is/isn’t alive and what stories are now relevant and which aren’t.

All that mess pushed me more toward self-contained, satisfying stories, like Transmetropolian, DMZ, Y The Last Man, Saga (ongoing, of course), etc. and I honestly think I’m happier with those anyway.

It’s not that I don’t love a lot of DC/Marvel properties. It’s just trying to keep up with all the retconning and reinventing is just a headache."
    That kind of silliness is good, sometimes. I'm not into retconning for the most part, but I don't want the MCU, or DCEU for that matter, to just be stuck in boring "grounded" stuff without pushing any kind of limits

Well, everything changes, that is for sure.
    So the FF are boring and undynamic, sure.

But they certainly weren't at the beginning of this. There never was a comic like the FF before it came to be. A fighting squabbling family with a teenager. The kind of regrets that the Thing had were totally unique to the comics medium. The fact that all 4, subconsciously or not, *magically* or not, resonate to the 4 'magical' elements of creation, Air, Water, Fire and Earth is again, unique.
    I can't see anything comparing to them, and the impact they had on the medium.
    I agree it would be great if better stories and ideas were in store for us.
    This was no JLA, DC's big team comic and the one that FF was about competing with.
    Considering everything that was novel and unique about them, 60 years ago, of course they're very old hat, but without them so much else would not have happened:

Black Panther. Silver Surfer/Galactus. Eternals. Inhumans. Negative Zone. Kree/Skrulls.

All these things were created within the first 100 issues or less. Strictly speaking, Eternals was it's own creation, but clearly tied in well with everything else that had come.

For the past 30 years at least, I've seen 'characters' being recreated over and over. Nova(s). Cap(s). Panther(s). Nick Fury even. SpiderMillionMenSwing-along. Hulkssssss. Waspsssss. Phoenii (?)

But they don't create a new Reed, Sue, Johnny or Ben. Sure every once in a while, along comes a Frightful Four, or evil/at/version of the FF. A "new" FF, including Ghost Rider and Wolverine, who along with Spidey and Hulk, there are many to choose from.
    They've never even pit the Ufoes, possibly the ultimate 'cheap trick' of creating another FF, against the FF.
    So I think the FF is always a gem and if you think they're boring, than you're not seeing something. They're no more boring than the X comics, which I tried to read the recent Gala, and couldn't make it through half the issues. Just lost in a sea of characters that barely have relevance, to me.
    ~ Oberon ~
    Comic-book reading Witch and Pagan since 1970
    I came for Kate, I stayed for Bette Love Fantastic Four, Namor, Batwoman, Dr.Strange.... i love them all