View Poll Results: How should a new MC2 line be done?

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • Set in present, but everybody is 15 years older (reboot of original MC2)

4 19.05%
  • Set in present, but everybody is 15-20 years older (actual sequel of original MC2)

12 57.14%
  • Set in a close (15-20 years) future

6 28.57%
  • Set in the present, but with characters who aged in real time

5 23.81%
  • Other

1 4.76%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Could a MC2 line work today?

While not a fan of the Spider-Girl comics, I loved the MC2 as a concept: a world in which most of the big name heroes are retired or MIA, and a new generation is in charge (as well as some of the current youngest heroes like Jubilee or Energizer)
    It had the advantage of presenting a "future version" of the characters without the risk of falling into the "everything goes wrong in the future" trope.

I mostly hear good things about that line (although I'm not sure if people love the MC2 itself or just the daughter of Peter and MJ)
    If Marvel decided to give it another try, would you be interested? And how should it be done?

Set in the present, but everybody is 15 years older? (either a sequel or a reboot of original MC2)

Set between 15-25 years in the future? (like the one in which Wiccan is sorcerer supreme or the one in which Danielle Cage is Cap America)

Set in the present, but if characters aged in real time since their first appearance? (so everybody would be way older than in original MC2)

Personnally, I'd like to see a new MC2 set something like 20 years in the future. But a positive future, not one of those "villains won" future. Franklin, Valeria, Jo and Nicki as the FF, Bailey as the younger Spider-Man, Danielle Cage as Captain America, Pei as Iron Fist, Tigra's son and Clea's sister being heroes, Kate Power or Kamala Khan being veterans, etc.
    Last edited by mugiwara; 04-16-2024 at 01:28 PM.
    Bringing back the old, killing the young: that's the Marvel way

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mugiwara View Post
    While not a fan of the Spider-Girl comics, I loved the MC2 as a concept: a world in which most of the big name heroes are retired or MIA, and a new generation is in charge (as well as some of the current youngest heroes like Jubilee or Energizer)
    It had the advantage of presenting a "future version" of the characters without the risk of falling into the "everything goes wrong in the future" trope.

I mostly hear good things about that line (although I'm not sure if people love the MC2 itself or just the daughter of Peter and MJ)
    If Marvel decided to give it another try, would you be interested? And how should it be done?

Set in the present, but everybody is 15 years older? (either a sequel or a reboot of original MC2)

Set between 15-25 years in the future? (like the one in which Wiccan is sorcerer supreme or the one in which Danielle Cage is Cap America)

Set in the present, but if characters aged in real time since their first appearance? (so everybody would be way older than in original MC2)

Personnally, I'd like to see a new MC2 set something like 20 years in the future. But a positive future, not one of those "villains won" future. Franklin, Valeria, Jo and Nicki as the FF, Bailey as the younger Spider-Man, Danielle Cage as Captain America, Pei as Iron Fist, Tigra's son and Clea's sister being heroes, Kate Power or Kamala Khan being veterans, etc.
    Funny enough, aside from Peter and Mary Jane's daughter growing up to be Spider-Girl, the reason I loved MC2 was that it was a positive future, a rarity then and now, one where the heroes were able to make some semblance of a difference and ensure their legacies continued, as opposed to yet another one where the villains ultimately won and the heroes' efforts achieved nothing for the world, if not even made things worse or enabled the villains' rise to power in the first place. That said, I, too, would love to see a new MC2 in the vein of the new 2099 timeline that we got back in 2019 and was expanded in the more recent Spider-Man 2099 miniseries. Bring back Avengers Academy. Make the Academy X cast the primary X-Men squad. Cosigning Valeria and Franklin Richards with Jo-Venn and N'Kalla as the new Fantastic Four, albeit adding a child of Johnny Storm to round it out into the Fantastic Five like we got in the original MC2 universe.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Funny enough, aside from Peter and Mary Jane's daughter growing up to be Spider-Girl, the reason I loved MC2 was that it was a positive future, a rarity then and now, one where the heroes were able to make some semblance of a difference and ensure their legacies continued, as opposed to yet another one where the villains ultimately won and the heroes' efforts achieved nothing for the world, if not even made things worse or enabled the villains' rise to power in the first place.
    ^^^Aw man, so true!
    The MC2 reality was great.

I voted sequel, btw.
    Seeing May as Spider-Woman would be cool, and little brother Ben as Spider-Boy? Say it ain’t so!

Astonishing Member

Doing it to the New Universe would be interesting.

If MC2 is the DBZ to the main universe's DB, then I wanna see a DBS or DBGT analog. So like MC3 or something where you have Spider-Girl and whoever else as the old heroes, and a third NEW cast as the young generation.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post
    ^^^Aw man, so true!
    The MC2 reality was great.

I voted sequel, btw.
    Seeing May as Spider-Woman would be cool, and little brother Ben as Spider-Boy? Say it ain’t so!
    Sequel would be cool, yeah, especially with May(day) as Spider-Woman and Benjy as Spider-Boy or a teenaged Spider-Man. I think Ron Frenz even did some concept art of them in that vein years back.

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    If MC2 is the DBZ to the main universe's DB, then I wanna see a DBS or DBGT analog. So like MC3 or something where you have Spider-Girl and whoever else as the old heroes, and a third NEW cast as the young generation.
    MC2 would technically be "MC Squared," so MC3 could be "MC Cubed." Concerning the third generation of heroes . . . I'd think they could be somewhat analogous with the newer heroes that were introduced in 616 continuity in the 2000s and onward. Good on you for remembering and citing GT, though; there was some good stuff in that.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Astonishing Member

DB and DBZ are the same universe. Time just went on.

I didn't read the original MC2 era but i liked the Next Avengers DTV film. So focusing on the MU in the 2040s could be fun.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 04-16-2024 at 06:18 PM.

I already wished a similar idea in the What If.. thread. I suggested the Young Avengers, New Warriors, ect all grown up as the primary Avengers. Franklin, Valeria, N'Kalla, and Jo as the Fantastic Four. The numerous X-Academy students as the primary X-Men team. There are so many types of stories I would love to see with the younger generation grown up and taking charge as the new heroes. Open up a new Avengers Academy with new young heroes. A brand new Young Avengers and Champions team with a fresh new batch of characters. How crazy would it be if the former Young Avengers who are now the Avengers oppose the new ones? Valeria being on the Fantastic Four but also having some Dr. Doom elements to her. Make brand new up and coming villains and arch nemesis for them to fight and have them get their own "Infinity Gauntlet" story where it's all the new generation fighting a new threat.

They'll never age them fully in 616 so just make a separate universe to tell these stories, even better if they closely match their 616 counterparts so it feels like these characters actually grew.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Sequel would be cool, yeah, especially with May(day) as Spider-Woman and Benjy as Spider-Boy or a teenaged Spider-Man. I think Ron Frenz even did some concept art of them in that vein years back.
    ^^^Oh man I’d love to see that!

If there was a sequel to the MC-2 Universe, wouldn't that also be a prequel to the 2099 universe?

It's funny thinking of a time when Mayday is middle aged and Migel O'Hara is a toddler.

One aspect of the MC2 line was that you had a writer from the previous era depicting the adventures of a new generation at a time when there was a new writing style.

It could always happen but the implications are weird if it's the likes of Jason Aaron or Matt Fraction in the Tom DeFalco '98 role.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    One aspect of the MC2 line was that you had a writer from the previous era depicting the adventures of a new generation at a time when there was a new writing style.

It could always happen but the implications are weird if it's the likes of Jason Aaron or Matt Fraction in the Tom DeFalco '98 role.
    ^^^Fair enough, but I’m envisioning a best case scenario.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by ComicNoobie View Post
    I already wished a similar idea in the What If.. thread. I suggested the Young Avengers, New Warriors, ect all grown up as the primary Avengers. Franklin, Valeria, N'Kalla, and Jo as the Fantastic Four. The numerous X-Academy students as the primary X-Men team. There are so many types of stories I would love to see with the younger generation grown up and taking charge as the new heroes. Open up a new Avengers Academy with new young heroes. A brand new Young Avengers and Champions team with a fresh new batch of characters. How crazy would it be if the former Young Avengers who are now the Avengers oppose the new ones? Valeria being on the Fantastic Four but also having some Dr. Doom elements to her. Make brand new up and coming villains and arch nemesis for them to fight and have them get their own "Infinity Gauntlet" story where it's all the new generation fighting a new threat.

They'll never age them fully in 616 so just make a separate universe to tell these stories, even better if they closely match their 616 counterparts so it feels like these characters actually grew.
    That sounds amazing!

I'd love to see a 'Fantastic Friends' or 'Sensational Seven' or whatever, composed of the kids of some current FF members, and some of their peers and friends.

Imagine Valeria, lacking the more physical powers, not wanting to be all soft and squishy on the front lines, using her super-brain to modify the old Thing battlesuit that her dad made for when Ben lost his powers, by adding the extensor technology he used when Reed lost *his own* powers, and add some plasma rockets to the hands and feet, and adaptive camoflauge technology to the outer surface, and bam, she's a one-woman Fantastic Four! Rocky hide, extending limbs, stealth tech, fiery rockets! An image inducer built in for when she wants to pretend to be the Super-Skrull, for a laugh. Mostly tech already available to her, lying around the house, or relatively easy to justify with her crazy intellect, and she's right there bringing a lot of what her parent's generation brought to the table!

Retire the old school members, give them valid reasons to remain 'off-camera' (ambassadorial status, off-world, political office, engaged in secret negative zone research, whatever) and not show up every issue to bail their teen and twenty-something kids out of this week's jam, and it could be a great book.

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    Imagine Valeria, lacking the more physical powers, not wanting to be all soft and squishy on the front lines, using her super-brain to modify the old Thing battlesuit that her dad made for when Ben lost his powers, by adding the extensor technology he used when Reed lost *his own* powers, and add some plasma rockets to the hands and feet, and adaptive camoflauge technology to the outer surface, and bam, she's a one-woman Fantastic Four! Rocky hide, extending limbs, stealth tech, fiery rockets! An image inducer built in for when she wants to pretend to be the Super-Skrull, for a laugh. Mostly tech already available to her, lying around the house, or relatively easy to justify with her crazy intellect, and she's right there bringing a lot of what her parent's generation brought to the table!
    The Thing battlesuit is a great idea, and I think of a fifth member who could wear it too: Tong! She would be delighted to yell "By the power of The Ben!"
    Bringing back the old, killing the young: that's the Marvel way