Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Default G.O.D.S. by Jonathan Hickman *Spoilers*

I started this thread after reading issues #1-4. Prior to that I couldn’t make any sense of what this was all about. I hope others who are reading this can help me comprehend what is going on here. Here is my interpretation. Please join in.

I’ve always wondered about the background forces in the Marvel Universe, and now Hickman is starting to analyse and describe what these forces are. We have heard of Eternity, the Living Tribunal, The ones Above All, but now we are introduced to the In-Betweener and these two other concepts, The natural order of thing and The powers that be, as well as the Oblivion. Hickman seems to be trying to describe what all these higher forms of powers are, maybe because Hickman has created a new Ultimate Universe, so he has to set the UU into a structure with these forces, these G.O.D.S, as he describes them. They must be Life and Death, Time, Gravity, Energy, Creation. Everything that makes up the Universe. Normally that would be the Infinity Stones, but they never encompassed everything that structured the Universe. Hickman is world building what those forces are, and the people who know they exist, and, what to do to control them, in their limited capabilities.
    Last edited by jackolover; 02-01-2024 at 08:07 PM.

The latest issue seemed to bring things together for me and I am started to be intrigued to see where it goes.

But I have to correct part of your post, In-Betweener and Oblivion have been part of Marvel's abstract beings for decades now.

It feels like it would've been better off as a creator owned book. The Marvel elements don't really add much yet.

Granted the characters are weak and 3 was the most emotional the series got so far.

4 is kind of an ending to the arc but I feel confused still. I'll give the 4 issues a reread to see if it's work better as a binge.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 02-03-2024 at 07:24 AM.

All-New Member

It's a Hickman book and those usually read much better when you can binge multiple issues.

Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

Digging it so far. I think that, after a few more issues in, this will be a really good sleeper hit.

I skipped it because I was told by the people who read it that this was Marvel's attempt at a Vertigo project.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Astonishing Member

Unless I’m giving In-Betweener too much credit spoilers:
    It seems like he had promised the destruction of the Centivars by a Proto-Mage and the Avatar & Sorcerer Supreme by a Super-Scientist, and the resulting war between magic and science; as a bribe to Oblivion to get it to do/not do something. And the bargain just fell through.
    end of spoilers

All-New Member

I really, really want this book to do well. I hope issue 8 isn't the finale. Ideally it will run for thirty-six issues but I'll take another eight beyond issue eight or ten.

Astonishing Member

I imagine 12 is probably where Marvel will pull the plug if sales aren’t good, if only to keep Hickman favoraboy disposed

Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

I don’t think it’s selling badly, is it?

I feel like it’ll be one of those sleeper books generate more interest the longer it goes on.

Astonishing Member

My big concern is that whatever paradigm Hickman creates for the abstracts and co will get trashed/retconned/dragged by the first writer to reference it after it wraps up

On a slightly more upbeat note, this seems like a good book to remember that the Sun itself has an avatar/manifestation that used to team up with Dr Strange

Fantastic Member

read the first four pretty good story wise , sales are decent but not great but for what there paying hickman and schitti probably not gonna last.more than 12 I understand the need for new IP, but would have made more sense to to have hickman run wild on doc strange to do this story and then we could have had mckay on the x-men

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by king of hybrids View Post
    I imagine 12 is probably where Marvel will pull the plug if sales aren’t good, if only to keep Hickman favoraboy disposed
    I believe this is only 8 issues long

Astonishing Member

Then it’s almost certain Hickman will take a ‘toys back in the box’ approach if sales aren’t there.