Page 221 of 760 FirstFirst ... 121171211217218219220221222223224225231271321721 ... LastLast
Results 3,301 to 3,315 of 11387

Pretty sure I read on Forbes that Widow made 80 million its opening weekend in theaters, with 60 mil streaming. Set a post-pandemic opening record, which was broken the following week by...Space Jam, maybe? Some kid-family film. I believe Widow was the third highest grossing MCU origin film for a solo IP, and set a MCU record for second-weekend drop.

By the standards of the day it seems to have done fine. The second weekend drop is regretful, but likely a result of the film airing same-day on D+, which gives casuals a great alternative to cinemas. My family stayed home and streamed it; it's cheaper and doesn't shut us in a room crammed full of people who may or may not have the good sense to stay the F home if they're unvaccinated. Honestly, I wish Marvel was going to release all their 2021 films that way.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Pretty sure I read on Forbes that Widow made 80 million its opening weekend in theaters, with 60 mil streaming. Set a post-pandemic opening record, which was broken the following week by...Space Jam, maybe? Some kid-family film. I believe Widow was the third highest grossing MCU origin film for a solo IP, and set a MCU record for second-weekend drop.

By the standards of the day it seems to have done fine. The second weekend drop is regretful, but likely a result of the film airing same-day on D+, which gives casuals a great alternative to cinemas. My family stayed home and streamed it; it's cheaper and doesn't shut us in a room crammed full of people who may or may not have the good sense to stay the F home if they're unvaccinated. Honestly, I wish Marvel was going to release all their 2021 films that way.

Space Jam didn't break any post pandemic records. It had a pretty crap opening all in all. It just had the least crap weekend. BW still has the biggest opening weekend of the year.
    Last edited by inisideguy; 07-21-2021 at 06:26 PM.

Must have been thinking of Widow's second week compared to Jam's first week opening then.

I read the article quickly during a break at work so my memory isn't to be totally trusted on this.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Must have been thinking of Widow's second week compared to Jam's first week opening then.

I read the article quickly during a break at work so my memory isn't to be totally trusted on this.

I mean honestly your right to be confused. Space Jam didn't release any numbers past opening night. So no one knows. Highly doubt it passed 80 million.

Ok I need to edit that looks like Space Jam may have made 31 million during the weekend. So yea nowhere near 80 million.
    Last edited by inisideguy; 07-21-2021 at 06:42 PM.

I meant recent reviews posted on Forbes, the Atlantic and the Washington Post. Widow did quite well under the circumstances, but I was surprised by the steepness of the drop. Which is a shame. I'm intending to watch the movie and expect to fully enjoy it, but I now think it was a HUGE mistake to make a movie about Natasha AFTER her death. I have seen folks online say that they will not watch the picture simply for that reason. Sad as it is. I am now firmly against Marvel Studios doing any more prequels. The OVERWHELMING majority of them DON'T work. Audiences KNOW where these stories are headed. I think Disney really fucked up with Black Widow and that is deeply regrettable.

Mighty Member

Really not sure why people are bothered about BW coming out in Phase 4. The movie was served as a goodbye to Natasha and to set up Yelena and introduce Red Guardian. If this was made before, it would have been a solo adventure. This wasn't really so much a prequel as it was a sidequel. Plus the story of her taking down the Widow program had no overall consequences for the Infinity Saga. So, it makes sense to put it here. The argument that "Oh they know the ending of Natasha's story, what's the point?" Well, people know Batman's origin, but yet WB still find new ways to tell his origin. And no Disney did not mess up with BW. The pandemic happened pushing back its release. It would have made big money regardless of when it was released. Plus they got 60 mil for themselves with premiere access. Not a bad deal.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by CTTT View Post
    Really not sure why people are bothered about BW coming out in Phase 4. The movie was served as a goodbye to Natasha and to set up Yelena and introduce Red Guardian. If this was made before, it would have been a solo adventure. This wasn't really so much a prequel as it was a sidequel. Plus the story of her taking down the Widow program had no overall consequences for the Infinity Saga. So, it makes sense to put it here. The argument that "Oh they know the ending of Natasha's story, what's the point?" Well, people know Batman's origin, but yet WB still find new ways to tell his origin. And no Disney did not mess up with BW. The pandemic happened pushing back its release. It would have made big money regardless of when it was released. Plus they got 60 mil for themselves with premiere access. Not a bad deal.
    I think some just wanted it to come out closer to when it actually took place.

And Batman's origin has been told more times than necessary

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Albert1981 View Post
    Yeah, we're still living in strange times. Black Widow did well under the circumstances. I just think the entertainment industry has higher standards for MCU stuff. Unreasonably so. I myself sometimes have too many expectations as well. I do think F9 could have done great if they ditched the resurrections and retcons from what I've heard.

No movie is going to do great in this environment. I am not sure why you are having a hard time grasping that.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Albert1981 View Post
    I meant recent reviews posted on Forbes, the Atlantic and the Washington Post. Widow did quite well under the circumstances, but I was surprised by the steepness of the drop. Which is a shame. I'm intending to watch the movie and expect to fully enjoy it, but I now think it was a HUGE mistake to make a movie about Natasha AFTER her death. I have seen folks online say that they will not watch the picture simply for that reason. Sad as it is. I am now firmly against Marvel Studios doing any more prequels. The OVERWHELMING majority of them DON'T work. Audiences KNOW where these stories are headed. I think Disney really fucked up with Black Widow and that is deeply regrettable.

You are basically giving your opinion on prequels with really no evidence to back up that they can't work. Based on what? Some people online? Wonder Woman was a prequel. Rouge one was a prequel. Then entire Star Wars clone wars saga is a prequel. I am sure there are others. Have you seen Black Widow?

Mighty Member

I remember reading somewhere that before RDJ was cast they were considering Tom Cruise. I know it might be strange to imagine TC as Stark but I think he would've don well. The quippy bits I'm not sure how he would handle though, but the obsessive nature of Tony, building things and trying to clean up his screwups, Tom would have done great at.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by CTTT View Post
    I remember reading somewhere that before RDJ was cast they were considering Tom Cruise. I know it might be strange to imagine TC as Stark but I think he would've don well. The quippy bits I'm not sure how he would handle though, but the obsessive nature of Tony, building things and trying to clean up his screwups, Tom would have done great at.
    Tom might've worked, but it would be a different Iron Man than we're used to in the MCU. Plus, he'd demand to build a suit to do his own stunts

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by chicago_bastard View Post
    Not necessarily bias on the user's end. I mean I've seen countless clickbait headlines calling the movie a box office flop so if someone just saw these and didn't really dig into the numbers they could get that impression even when they weren't biased in the first place.
    True. It is not Captain Marvel level but the usual suspects are making a lot of this.

Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness May Feature a Marvel What If Hero
    https://www.cbr.com/doctor-strange-m...aptain-carter/

Exclusive: Marvel’s What If…? will feature a "tragic love story" and an "Agatha Christie episode"
    https://www.gamesradar.com/marvel-wh...ge-killmonger/

I am bullish for What If...?. I am skeptical for Shang-Chi.
    Last edited by Witchfan; 07-22-2021 at 09:26 AM.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dunkelzahn View Post
    True. It is not Captain Marvel level but the usual suspects are making a lot of this.
    Does "usual suspects" = gamergate?

Quote Originally Posted by Witchfan View Post
    Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness May Feature a Marvel What If Hero
    https://www.cbr.com/doctor-strange-m...aptain-carter/

Exclusive: Marvel’s What If…? will feature a "tragic love story" and an "Agatha Christie episode"
    https://www.gamesradar.com/marvel-wh...ge-killmonger/

I am bullish for What If...?. I am skeptical for Shang-Chi.
    Tragic love story for Dr. Strange? Ok, I guess

Why are you skeptical for Shang-Chi?

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    Tragic love story for Dr. Strange? Ok, I guess

Why are you skeptical for Shang-Chi?
    I guess Claire is more involved when Strange goes dark.