Page 222 of 760 FirstFirst ... 122172212218219220221222223224225226232272322722 ... LastLast
Results 3,316 to 3,330 of 11387
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I guess Claire is more involved when Strange goes dark.
    That wasn't even a romance in that movie

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    That wasn't even a romance in that movie
    Not a romance arc, but their (failed) relationship was a part of it.

Mighty Member

I'm psyched that Marvel Studios is planning more animated shows for D+. Sounds great. I'm also hoping that they plan Marvel movies for the platform too. Yes, shows like Loki FAWS are great longform storytelling and that'll continue but I'd love to see a movie on there. So, for example a Black Widow movie or a Zemo movie. Either connected or unconnected to the MCU.

Ultimate Member

Not a romance arc, but their (failed) relationship was a part of it.
    It was just another pointless forced "guy and girl had to have some romantic connection" cliche Hollywood always does. I don't recall those 2 ever having a romance in the comics

Quote Originally Posted by Albert1981 View Post
    I meant recent reviews posted on Forbes, the Atlantic and the Washington Post. Widow did quite well under the circumstances, but I was surprised by the steepness of the drop.
    I think the same-day D+ drop is to blame for that.

You figure, who's gonna go see a movie right now? The hardcore audience who are more interested in seeing the movie than they are concerned about covid19. When are those people gonna want to see the film? Opening weekend. The rest of us either watched it on D+, or are waiting for it to go free on streaming and/or blu-ray.

Which is a shame. I'm intending to watch the movie and expect to fully enjoy it, but I now think it was a HUGE mistake to make a movie about Natasha AFTER her death. I have seen folks online say that they will not watch the picture simply for that reason.
    I don't think the prequel nature of it had *much* to do with the second week drop-off or anything else. I'm sure it didn't help anything, and certainly there are *some* folks who were turned off by the fact that Nat died in Endgame, but I doubt that carries much weight when set against the entirety of the general audience.

I feel like, if people are going to avoid the movie because Nat already died, they're not really avoiding the movie because she died, know what I mean? It stinks of the kind of gatekeeping we always see pop up when T'Challa, Carol, or any non-white/male hero gets the spotlight. Only this time, there's the readily available excuse of "her arc is finished! There's nothing left to say about her!" BS to hide behind.

Again, I'm sure there are people who genuinely feel that the film is too little, too late, and with Nat's death there's no real character arc left for the movie to cover. That's cool, whatever. But I bet a lot of people saying this would be making up some other reason to boycott the film if Nat were still alive in the MCU today.

Plus, anyone who thinks this movie was just about Nat is missing the point. It was about Nat and she did have an arc, but it was just as much about setting up Yelena. If someone doesn't want to watch it for Natasha, they still have reason to watch it for Yelena, who will be showing up again real gods damn soon and likely will have a large role in the MCU going forward.

I think Disney really fucked up with Black Widow and that is deeply regrettable.
    I do agree; it shouldn't have taken this long for Widow to get her own film. We went a full decade before any PoC or females got to headline a movie on their own, and that's gods damn criminal. And the early MCU films definitely objectified Nat to a BS degree. Widow deserved better than the treatment she got overall, but I think we can at least be glad that, by the end, she got her due.

Oh also, Loki spoilers here......hold on.

Week old spoilers to follow.

If you watch the finales to Loki and Wandavision, the moment when He Who Remains starts talking about crossing the threshold and not knowing what happens next is the exact same timestamp as when Wanda goes full Scarlet Witch. Like, exact timestamp down to the second I guess. Just thought that was kind of cool and wanted to share.
    Last edited by Ascended; 07-22-2021 at 06:31 PM.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Ultimate Member

You think that might be an intentional link? I've heard others speculate Kang might be after Wanda because she's a nexus being

It was just another pointless forced "guy and girl had to have some romantic connection" cliche Hollywood always does. I don't recall those 2 ever having a romance in the comics
    Well, in the context of the movie I think it worked in terms of showing someone Stephen had history with, was connected to, and knew him well, flaws and all, and was part of his "human" life prior to becoming embroiled in the world of magic. Not reconciling with her marks his departure from being just Stephen Strange to the Superhero Dr. Strange.

And, of course, comic fans would know that Strange's real love interest is supposed to be Clea.

Strange and Night Nurse did have a fling in the comics.

Ultimate Member

Well, in the context of the movie I think it worked in terms of showing someone Stephen had history with, was connected to, and knew him well, flaws and all, and was part of his "human" life prior to becoming embroiled in the world of magic. Not reconciling with her marks his departure from being just Stephen Strange to the Superhero Dr. Strange.

And, of course, comic fans would know that Strange's real love interest is supposed to be Clea.

Strange and Night Nurse did have a fling in the comics.
    Yeah, but why couldn't they have just been friends?

Well, the point was they were involved in a (relatively) deep way prior to their breakup.

She was there to show the (numerous) consequences of Stephen's decisions.

I thought they were just friends in the present day, they dated in the past but they were just friends now.

Ultimate Member

Well, the point was they were involved in a (relatively) deep way prior to their breakup.

I guess that's possible, but by that point I was just tired of cliche Hollywood romances and I didn't find it believable

I mean... most single adults don't have opposite gender friends like that.

You know how rare platonic boy/girl friends are at that age? Especially to the point where one of them would care for the other THAT MUCH ? especially since Strange was kind of a prick lol

it woudl be less believable if they had no history
    Last edited by MindofShadow; 07-23-2021 at 07:20 AM.
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post

You know how rare platonic boy/girl friends are at that age? Especially to the point where one of them would care for the other THAT MUCH ? especially since Strange was kind of a prick lol

Exactly. I think even if you had cut out all references to their having had a relationship in the past, audiences would still be reading into it.

I like the actress enough to appreciate her presence and the backstory, but

I guess I don't see where she fits in with # 2, unless there is something new or revealed about her character.
    If the plot concerns multi-universal events, maybe her or a variant is explored in that context. A 'verse where Doc doesn't become a Wizard might have them married or still involved.
    Otherwise I think it could be a different setup or reveal ( Someone else from Dormmammu's dimension who always knew he would be come a sorcerer?)
    ~ Oberon ~
    Comic-book reading Witch and Pagan since 1970
    I came for Kate, I stayed for Bette Love Fantastic Four, Namor, Batwoman, Dr.Strange.... i love them all

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post

Really? I don't think it's impossible for two people of the opposite sex to never have a romantic connection.

But maybe I'd buy it if I thought they actually looked like a couple. But the MCU isn't great at romance IMO