Page 135 of 775 FirstFirst ... 3585125131132133134135136137138139145185235635 ... LastLast
Results 2,011 to 2,025 of 11617
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    It would probably depend on the situation? Like with Mutants there are sometimes specific biological changes that make them physically stand out or they're public with the fact that they're Mutants.

If someone just sparks powers out of the blue, they're a Mutant.
    I can see that. But I really have a hard time believing governments would kill a bunch of mutants when they could experiment on them.

Plus, having all these diverse characters tied to this one repetitious story theme seems very limiting to me

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    I can see that. But I really have a hard time believing governments would kill a bunch of mutants when they could experiment on them.

Plus, having all these diverse characters tied to this one repetitious story theme seems very limiting to me
    They do that too.

Well, the X-Men fight more than just humans that hate and fear them, so it isn't 100% what they're about, it's just one major aspect of them.

Ultimate Member

They do that too.

Well, the X-Men fight more than just humans that hate and fear them, so it isn't 100% what they're about, it's just one major aspect of them.
    I agree that's not the only thing the X-Men do, although the movies made it seem like it. I'm just saying it gets a bit tiring, at least for me, to see it all ultimately be about "humans vs mutants".

Plus, I don't buy the other teams not doing enough. It makes zero sense, and I hope that's not how it works in the MCU

I agree that's not the only thing the X-Men do, although the movies made it seem like it. I'm just saying it gets a bit tiring, at least for me, to see it all ultimately be about "humans vs mutants".

Plus, I don't buy the other teams not doing enough. It makes zero sense, and I hope that's not how it works in the MCU
    Well, for now, there are no other teams to do anything, although we are getting the FF.

Granted, the Superheroes we have now can barely take care of each other until the plot forces them to, so...

Ultimate Member

Well, for now, there are no other teams to do anything, although we are getting the FF.

Granted, the Superheroes we have now can barely take care of each other until the plot forces them to, so...
    They are pretty disparate right now, but I'm sure they'd unite if some evil government agent attacked mutants. None of them would sit idly by.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I can see the paranoia on a theoretical level, but the way they actually utilize it is another thing entirely.

In the MU, you're scared that the dude on the bus is reading your thoughts....unless you know that random dude got his powers in an accident. If it was an accident, it's cool. But if that dude was born with those powers, *that's* when people lose their minds. Not that the guy is reading your mind or that he has no qualifications or training to handle his powers responsibly, it's just the fact that he might've been *born* with them that freaks people out. And even by the idiot standards of bigotry that exemption seems ludicrous to me.

Mutant phobia makes "sense" within the sphere of the X-Men, for all the reasons you mention. But when that same phobia totally ignores every other superhuman and enhanced being on earth, it all falls apart. Maybe that mutant is radioactive. But maybe Spider-Man is too, and if he's out of costume *he* could be the random dude next to you on the bus. So why is everyone cool with Spidey (other than JJJ's "irresponsible menace" stuff which has no bearing on Parker's biology) but not Gambit?
    Well, phobia in the real world isn't always rational, too. Let's use the example of xenophobia that is founded in the fear of losing one's job due to immigration and compare white immigrants from Europe to Mexican immigrants. Both come to the country to find work so the "they take our jobs away" argument should apply to both equally but they are treated differently by good chunks of the population.
    Tolstoy will live forever. Some people do. But that's not enough. It's not the length of a life that matters, just the depth of it. The chances we take. The paths we choose. How we go on when our hearts break. Hearts always break and so we bend with our hearts. And we sway. But in the end what matters is that we loved... and lived.

Extraordinary Member

The movie I really wanted before RDJ and Chris Evans left us is Avengers Cookout. No villains. No big fight. Just the Avengers hanging out together and relaxing.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by chicago_bastard View Post
    Well, phobia in the real world isn't always rational, too. Let's use the example of xenophobia that is founded in the fear of losing one's job due to immigration and compare white immigrants from Europe to Mexican immigrants. Both come to the country to find work so the "they take our jobs away" argument should apply to both equally but they are treated differently by good chunks of the population.
    True, prejudice and bigotry make no logical sense, but real-world versions are built on centuries of propaganda and oppression

Quote Originally Posted by Chris0013 View Post
    The movie I really wanted before RDJ and Chris Evans left us is Avengers Cookout. No villains. No big fight. Just the Avengers hanging out together and relaxing.
    Haha, I was mentioning in a few other subs how Marvel should try to do at least one show/movie without a villain.

True, prejudice and bigotry make no logical sense, but real-world versions are built on centuries of propaganda and oppression
    And in the Marvel Universe anti-mutant propaganda by public figures like Reverend Stryker and Senator Kelly among others has been going on for decades so you could attribute the mutant hate to that.
    Tolstoy will live forever. Some people do. But that's not enough. It's not the length of a life that matters, just the depth of it. The chances we take. The paths we choose. How we go on when our hearts break. Hearts always break and so we bend with our hearts. And we sway. But in the end what matters is that we loved... and lived.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris0013 View Post
    That wouldn't end well:

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by chicago_bastard View Post
    And in the Marvel Universe anti-mutant propaganda by public figures like Reverend Stryker and Senator Kelly among others has been going on for decades so you could attribute the mutant hate to that.
    Not to the extent real bigotry, like anti-Mexican hate, has been going on.

But Superhumans and gods aren't the next step in human evolution that will replace humanity and have advocates who believe that and attack humans for it. And Mutants are far more wide-ranging than accidental Superhumans.
    No, but there's plenty of non-mutant superhumans who are more than happy to burn a few cities on a slow Tuesday morning.

I'm just saying, a random dude wakes up one day and can lift things with his mind because "biology" and people lose their minds because "he has no training! He could be a threat! He could be an abuser! His great-great grandkids might take over the world!" That same dude drinks some random chemicals thinking they're soda, gets the same powers, and everyone is like "Cool, wanna join the Avengers?" He still has no training, he could still be a threat and abuser, his great-great grandkids might still try to take over the world....but he got powers because he thought chemicals were soda, so that's all perfectly fine?

Hate isn't logical, but come on, this is beyond dumb even for bigotry.

I think pretty much all telepaths are Mutants, or at least if they aren't...you aren't likely to run into them.
    Yeah, most psychics at Marvel do seem to be mutants for some reason, but that's a tangent.

How cool are we assuming people are with Spider-Man?
    Spidey probably isn't the cleanest example here since he does have that media backlash, but the point I'm making is that Spidey isn't considered a menace because he has powers, it's because the Bugle pushes the narrative that he's irresponsible. But a totally competent, skilled, responsible mutant is gonna get "hated and feared" regardless. Despite the fact that accidental superhumans can still pass their powers on to their kids, despite the fact that they're still a fast growing minority group that could pose a threat to humanity's place someday, despite the fact that an accidental superhuman is no more worthy or prepared for their powers than a mutant.
    Last edited by Ascended; 04-23-2021 at 01:50 PM.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    No, but there's plenty of non-mutant superhumans who are more than happy to burn a few cities on a slow Tuesday morning.

I'm just saying, a random dude wakes up one day and can lift things with his mind because "biology" and people lose their minds because "he has no training! He could be a threat! He could be an abuser! His great-great grandkids might take over the world!" That same dude drinks some random chemicals thinking they're soda, gets the same powers, and everyone is like "Cool, wanna join the Avengers?" He still has no training, he could still be a threat and abuser, his great-great grandkids might still try to take over the world....but he got powers because he thought chemicals were soda, so that's all perfectly fine?

Hate isn't logical, but come on, this is beyond dumb even for bigotry.
    When you put it that way, it does sound crazy. I think the fear comes more from the X-Gene, which is perhaps more likely to mutate someone than spider-bite or gamma rays

Astonishing Member gonnagiveittoya's Avatar

Captain America 4 in Development with Malcolm Spellman Writing

https://twitter.com/THR/status/1385693362456563714?s=19

Quote Originally Posted by gonnagiveittoya View Post
    Captain America 4 in Development with Malcolm Spellman Writing

https://twitter.com/THR/status/1385693362456563714?s=19
    Didn't expect this to be announced this quickly.
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html