Page 44 of 774 FirstFirst ... 344041424344454647485494144544 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Ms. Marvel Audition Video Teases New Avengers, Inhumans in Disney+ Series
    https://comicbook.com/marvel/2019/11...engers-inhuman

Quote Originally Posted by Hybrid View Post
    https://www.cheatsheet.com/entertain...-mutants.html/

Rumor is they might be developing an Excalibur movie.

Don't quote me on any of this, I'm just the messenger. What would you think of an Excalibur movie?
    As a Captain Britain fan from the early days, I have more fear than optimism. The Claremont-written Excalibur is largely despised by Captain Britain fans as it turns CB into exactly what he wasn't supposed to be: a caricature of an American's view of an English alpha-male - overprivileged, arrogant, and uptight, needing the more enlightened American heroes to show him how to be a decent human being. Ugh. Claremont absorbed the characters created or developed by Moore/Davis, but threw our hero under the bus. These days you'd call it cultural appropriation.

Given the way that the US writers have avoided writing Brian as the empowering wish-fulfilment fantasy he was originally supposed to be (and the whole point of giving a certain demographic a hero of their own is to give that demographic a positive, empowering hero that is theirs), I think either we will see a very negative version of Brian along the lines of Claremont's Excalibur, or, if they want a positive Captain Britain, they'll make Betsy CB, and she'll inherit all the lore and rogues' gallery/supporting characters that were developed for Brian.

Feige has been asked about a Captain Britain movie in the past, and he has seemed uncomfortable giving answers; I suspect we're getting a female Captain Britain (probably Betsy), and as a token attempt to appease the British male demographic, the Black Knight will have his nationality changed from American to British, perhaps even making him Brian Braddock. Which will upset Dane's fans, won't make the few Brian Braddock Captain Britain fans left happy, and probably adversely affect things in the comic-book universe through the dreaded "synergy" effect. Very unsatisfactory, imo.

I'd like to be wrong; it would be nice to have a positive male British hero in the MCU, and I'd like it to be Captain Britain as he's one of my favourites. I really quite enjoy the Davis-written Excalibur (though CB still has traces of Claremont's macho jerk version, and Meggan is still the too-dim-and-fluffy Claremont version), that might well make a good film that would please fans of all the characters. I really don't want to see all the characters created for Brian to be appropriated to prop up another hero, though - Saturnyne, Jaspers, the Fury... if you're going to make Betsy CB, don't use Brian's stuff, use her own enemies and stories. I mean, if your reason for making he CB is because you think she's had better stories, that should be a no-brainer.

Things have really sucked for Brian's fans in comics for decades, with CB&MI:13 being the only bright-spot, please don't take away his glory years to give to someone else on the big-screen - that would be crappy.

Quote Originally Posted by Panic View Post
    As a Captain Britain fan from the early days, I have more fear than optimism. The Claremont-written Excalibur is largely despised by Captain Britain fans as it turns CB into exactly what he wasn't supposed to be: a caricature of an American's view of an English alpha-male - overprivileged, arrogant, and uptight, needing the more enlightened American heroes to show him how to be a decent human being. Ugh. Claremont absorbed the characters created or developed by Moore/Davis, but threw our hero under the bus. These days you'd call it cultural appropriation.

Given the way that the US writers have avoided writing Brian as the empowering wish-fulfilment fantasy he was originally supposed to be (and the whole point of giving a certain demographic a hero of their own is to give that demographic a positive, empowering hero that is theirs), I think either we will see a very negative version of Brian along the lines of Claremont's Excalibur, or, if they want a positive Captain Britain, they'll make Betsy CB, and she'll inherit all the lore and rogues' gallery/supporting characters that were developed for Brian.

Feige has been asked about a Captain Britain movie in the past, and he has seemed uncomfortable giving answers; I suspect we're getting a female Captain Britain (probably Betsy), and as a token attempt to appease the British male demographic, the Black Knight will have his nationality changed from American to British, perhaps even making him Brian Braddock. Which will upset Dane's fans, won't make the few Brian Braddock Captain Britain fans left happy, and probably adversely affect things in the comic-book universe through the dreaded "synergy" effect. Very unsatisfactory, imo.

I'd like to be wrong; it would be nice to have a positive male British hero in the MCU, and I'd like it to be Captain Britain as he's one of my favourites. I really quite enjoy the Davis-written Excalibur (though CB still has traces of Claremont's macho jerk version, and Meggan is still the too-dim-and-fluffy Claremont version), that might well make a good film that would please fans of all the characters. I really don't want to see all the characters created for Brian to be appropriated to prop up another hero, though - Saturnyne, Jaspers, the Fury... if you're going to make Betsy CB, don't use Brian's stuff, use her own enemies and stories. I mean, if your reason for making he CB is because you think she's had better stories, that should be a no-brainer.

Things have really sucked for Brian's fans in comics for decades, with CB&MI:13 being the only bright-spot, please don't take away his glory years to give to someone else on the big-screen - that would be crappy.
    I think making Dane just ethnically British is way more likely then making him a Braddock.

The MCU has only rarely gone for recent successors instead of using the originals, so if we get Captain Britain I think it's pretty likely going to be Brian. Although the Psylocke identity is a bit of a mess to work around.

Quote Originally Posted by Panic View Post

Whoa, what?!

I don't think they'd make decisions that dumb.

Well, I'm a pessimist, I'll always assume the worst but hope for the best. I've noticed quite a few readers who aren't very familiar with Dane's history assume he's British, and with a Scottish actor picked for the role, it makes me wonder. Also, if they're looking to flesh out a Captain Britain supporting cast and they've given Betsy all Brian's mojo, what are they going to do with him? Give him Betsy's psi-powers and Strike Psi-Division background? I don't think they'd be that generous.

Well, if going by comics history she was a supporting character to Brian until she moved to the United States to be an X-Man. A similar deal can apply here.

Betsy is a bigger deal with Brian, I wouldn't object to her getting the focus before he does.

Feige also wants to focus on more "marquee" characters, and has stated his goal is to make everyone in A-lister. I don't think they're just going to shove away Brian to make Betsy into Captain Britain.

Quote Originally Posted by H-E-D View Post
    Betsy is a bigger deal with Brian, I wouldn't object to her getting the focus before he does.
    As Psylocke rather then Captain Britan.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    As Psylocke rather then Captain Britan.
    That's what I was talking about, yeah. Having Psylocke show up in an X-movie before Brian shows up as Captain Britain seems entirely plausible to me.

But we must keep in mind that Betsy was originally Brian's supporting character, who only stood out after moving to the US and joining the X-Men, and then of course, the body swap but that's a whole 'nother story.

I would just love it if Henry Cavill got the role of Brian. Especially since he got screwed over at DC during his time as Superman.
    T'Challa
    A.K.A. The Black Panther
    King of Wakanda
    King of the Dead and The Champion of Bast
    Two-Time Time Magazine "Person Of The Year"
    Six-Time People Magazine "Sexiest Man Alive"

Quote Originally Posted by Hybrid View Post
    But we must keep in mind that Betsy was originally Brian's supporting character, who only stood out after moving to the US and joining the X-Men, and then of course, the body swap but that's a whole 'nother story.
    That's totally the sort of detail that the MCU ditches for adaptations fairly often.

I guess, but we'll see.

Also, I was wondering, do you think they can get the Juggernaut right? As in, not just another mutant, but the legit avatar of Cyttorak. They can even establish Cyttorak as being an old enemy of Odin to tie the cosmology together.

I wouldn't think Juggernaut would be a priority character for them.