Extraordinary Member Doctor Know's Avatar

Default The Big Five: Marvel Comics Recommendations

If you could recommend only five runs for a character, which would you choose?

I was organizing my collection, and I realized I don't have a diverse collection of Blade and Spider-Woman (Jessica Drew) titles. I realized I probably couldn't even name 5 worthwhile runs for either character, despite them being around since the 70s. I also noticed that my Iron Man collection was lacking when measured against my Thor, Captain America and Fantastic Four titles. While Iron Man is certainly a lot more popular than Blade and Jessica Drew, a lot of his volumes aren't collected like other characters in his tier.

It got me thinking, if I or someone else were to recommend just 5 runs for a respective character. Which ones would be picked?

For the X-Men (including ALL their spin-off titles) and Spider-Man, anybody could conjure those up in a heartbeat. Hell, it's even easier for Daredevil now. Start with the 1998 Heroes Return "relaunch" and stay in a straight line: Bendis, Brubaker, Waid, Soule, Zdarsky. That's 5 right there. Same Captain America: Grunewald, Waid, Jurgens, Brubaker, and Remender.

Feel free to list the characters and ensembles for your top five picks. They don't have to be in a row. Just top 5 runs over all that you feel are the best representative.

Astonishing Member

Claremont's X-Men
    Busiek/Perez' Avengers
    Nicieza/Bagley's New Warriors

and I'm probably on the minority here:
    Liefeld's New Mutants/X-Force
    The Clone Saga

For SPIDER-WOMAN, ay least, I don't have five runs, but the Gruenwald/Infantino run and the Claremont/Leialoha run are both good reads, and the entire run of the first series has been collected in Epic volumes.

The Wolfman/Infantino run is also decent, and sets up a lot of the foundation for the character.
    Visit www.busiek.com—for all your Busiek needs!

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

THOR: JMS, Gillen, Fraction, Aaron, Cates

Luckily you can read them all in order

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt Busiek View Post
    For SPIDER-WOMAN, ay least, I don't have five runs, but the Gruenwald/Infantino run and the Claremont/Leialoha run are both good reads, and the entire run of the first series has been collected in Epic volumes.

The Wolfman/Infantino run is also decent, and sets up a lot of the foundation for the character.
    Thank you. I'll be working my way through classic Jessica soon. It helps knowing which names to follow.

Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    THOR: JMS, Gillen, Fraction, Aaron, Cates

Luckily you can read them all in order
    Haha! My man! I noticed that too. Thor and Daredevil fans are eating good! To have 5 solid runs in a row is a massive achievement. Most characters are lucky to even get two in a row.

My big 5 for a start would be:

Avengers:
    1. Silver Age beginnings Lee/Kirby/Thomas or Roger Stern 1983-1988
    2. West Coast Avengers - Englehart 1985-1988
    3. "Heroes Return" Avengers - Buisek and Perez 1998-2002
    4. New Avengers Vol 1 - Bendis 2004-2010. Way better than his New Avengers vol 2 during the Heroic Age.
    5. Avengers, New Avengers, Avengers World - Hickman 2012-2015

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Know View Post
    Thank you. I'll be working my way through classic Jessica soon. It helps knowing which names to follow.

Haha! My man! I noticed that too. Thor and Daredevil fans are eating good! To have 5 solid runs in a row is a massive achievement. Most characters are lucky to even get two in a row.

My big 5 for a start would be:

Avengers:
    1. Silver Age beginnings Lee/Kirby/Thomas or Roger Stern 1983-1988
    2. West Coast Avengers - Englehart 1985-1988
    3. "Heroes Return" Avengers - Buisek and Perez 1998-2002
    4. New Avengers Vol 1 - Bendis 2004-2010. Way better than his New Avengers vol 2 during the Heroic Age.
    5. Avengers, New Avengers, Avengers World - Hickman 2012-2015
    Hell yeah, Thor and DD fans had amazing writers.

The difficult thing for choosing a single line is that most writers continue their stories in other titles, for example Ewing's story jumped across multiple titles and is now continuing in Immortal Thor or Hickman going from SHIELD --> Secret Warriors --> Fantastic Four --> Ultimates --> Avengers --> Secret Wars.

But back to the topic another one to add would be:

THUNDERBOLTS: Busiek, Nicieza, Ellis, Gage, and Parker.

I did enjoy Diggle's run but it wasn't that long; nevertheless, another title that could be run from beginning to end

I saw the thread and was thinking it was for all of Marvel...

Lee/ Kirby Fantastic Four
    Claremont/ Byrne Uncanny X-Men (if I could also include Dave Cockrum and Paul Smith's work- basically everything up until Uncanny X-Men #175)
    Frank Miller Daredevil
    Lee/ Ditko/ Romita Sr Amazing Spider-Man (Cheating to combine two runs)
    Busiek's Avengers (Rereading it right now)

But five runs for one character...

Spider-Man
    Lee/ Ditko
    Lee/ Romita Sr
    Stern/ Romita Jr/ friends (To include "The Kid Who Collects Spider-Man"
    Bendis/ Bagley
    Dan Slott

Daredevil
    Lee/ Wood/ Romita Sr/ Colan
    Frank Miller
    Bendis/ Maleev
    Brubaker
    Waid

I do have to read the Zdarsky run.

Fantastic Four
    Lee/ Kirby
    Byrne
    Waid/ Wieringo
    Hickman
    North

The Avengers
    Stern
    Busiek
    Bendis
    Millar/ Hitch (The Ultimates)
    Hickman

The best stretch of Avengers comics might be when the Korvac saga occurred at the same time as Jim Starlin's Thanos saga ended, but that had a lot of writers)
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Hell yeah, Thor and DD fans had amazing writers.

The difficult thing for choosing a single line is that most writers continue their stories in other titles, for example Ewing's story jumped across multiple titles and is now continuing in Immortal Thor or Hickman going from SHIELD --> Secret Warriors --> Fantastic Four --> Ultimates --> Avengers --> Secret Wars.
    Ain’t that the truth. I’m always amazed that writers like Hickman, Bendis and Aaron can keep it all together. With all the titles and storylines they weave.

But back to the topic another one to add would be:

THUNDERBOLTS: Busiek, Nicieza, Ellis, Gage, and Parker.

I did enjoy Diggle's run but it wasn't that long; nevertheless, another title that could be run from beginning to end
    Very nice. I read the original Thunderbolts back in the 90s. When it Hawkeye was a main character. I’ll definitely check out other authors runs. Hopefully before the movie.

Big Five Punisher:
    1. Marvel Knights - Ennis
    2. Punisher Max - Ennis
    3. Punisher Max - Hurwitz
    4. Punisher Max - Aaron
    5. The Punisher - Rucka or Remender. Depends on how people feel about Franken-Castle.