Page 161 of 773 FirstFirst ... 61111151157158159160161162163164165171211261661 ... LastLast
Results 2,401 to 2,415 of 11592
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by GenericUsername View Post
    What of the character doesn't work now?
    A lot of the secret identity tropes, or him having a bunch of different love interests

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    A lot of the secret identity tropes, or him having a bunch of different love interests
    He hasn't had a ton of love interests in any of the movies and comics he's had a few but has been around for over 60 years. That's natural. The secret identity is not what makes the MCU version not him. And even then, is no more dated than witness protection programs. It was necessary for keeping heroes' families safe. The MCU is missing most of what makes him, him though.
    Last edited by GenericUsername; 05-16-2021 at 12:40 PM.
    Love is for souls, not bodies.

Ultimate Member

He hasn't had a ton of love interests in any of the movies and comics he's had a few but has been around for over 60 years. That's natural. The secret identity is not what makes the MCU version not him. And even then, is no more dated than witness protection programs. It was necessary for keeping heroes' families safe. The MCU is missing most of what makes him, him though.
    Secret identity isn't like witness protection at all. The villains always end up finding out anyway. Besides, if he wants to be in their lives, they should have the right to know the kind of danger they're it. As for love interests, I'm not sure why he's had all those women fawning over him. If he's been around for 60 years, maybe he should have a stable relationship. Of course that goes for most superheroes

I'm not sure what about him is missing that makes him not Spider-Man in the MCU

Secret identity isn't like witness protection at all. The villains always end up finding out anyway. Besides, if he wants to be in their lives, they should have the right to know the kind of danger they're it. As for love interests, I'm not sure why he's had all those women fawning over him. If he's been around for 60 years, maybe he should have a stable relationship. Of course that goes for most superheroes

I'm not sure what about him is missing that makes him not Spider-Man in the MCU
    It absolutely is. Pete's identity was not revealed until they made the Scarlet Witch be responsible for it about 50 years after his creation. It does work to keep families safe. And he's had it both in comics and in all the movies, and his identity was found out in all. So that's null and void. It's a movement of the goal posts here.

The idea of finding your one and sticking with them for life is more old fashioned than having a few lovers in your life...

I already explained everything missing. Want me to quote my posts above?

Ultimate Member

It absolutely is. Pete's identity was not revealed until they made the Scarlet Witch be responsible for it about 50 years after his creation. It does work to keep families safe. And he's had it both in comics and in all the movies, and his identity was found out in all. So that's null and void. It's a movement of the goal posts here.

The idea of finding your one and sticking with them for life is more old fashioned than having a few lovers in your life...

I already explained everything missing. Want me to quote my posts above?
    What goal posts are you talking about? Anyone who's involved on a personal level with a superhero should be aware of what they're getting into. Otherwise it's unfair to them. most of the other heroes dumped the secret identity and are doing ok.

I get that people have multiple love interests, but they also don't barely age over 60 years. He had a stable marriage and then it was undone. I didn't get why that was necessary.

I'm not saying every change was good, but IMO he's still recognizable enough as Peter Parker in the MCU.

What goal posts are you talking about? Anyone who's involved on a personal level with a superhero should be aware of what they're getting into. Otherwise it's unfair to them. most of the other heroes dumped the secret identity and are doing ok.

I get that people have multiple love interests, but they also don't barely age over 60 years. He had a stable marriage and then it was undone. I didn't get why that was necessary.

I'm not saying every change was good, but IMO he's still recognizable enough as Peter Parker in the MCU.
    The goal posts being moved are what makes MCU Pete not like his comics or previous movies counterparts.

His marriage wasn't even his first love. You are basically slut shaming him.

The only recognizable parts are that he's Peter, his costume, and his web swinging.

How he became Spider-Man is not the same.

His motivations are not his own.

His relationships to other people are not the same.

He doesn't make his own costume.

He isn't the one to make his better web slingers.

Some of his genius takes a back seat to Tony.

Ultimate Member

The goal posts being moved are what makes MCU Pete not like his comics or previous movies counterparts.

His marriage wasn't even his first love. You are basically slut shaming him.

The only recognizable parts are that he's Peter, his costume, and his web swinging.

How he became Spider-Man is not the same.

His motivations are not his own.

His relationships to other people are not the same.

He doesn't make his own costume.

He isn't the one to make his better web slingers.

Some of his genius takes a back seat to Tony.
    Ok, what? When did I slut-shame anyone? What are you even talking about?

His motivations are basically the same. They just don't need to be spelled out. Probably the same for his origin. His relationship with Ned is different, yeah, but with May and MJ they're the same.

As for his scientific stuff, it's not impossible that Stark's company has tech which could improve Peter's webslingers. It's a billion dollar company with access to alien tech. It is different from the comics, but not necessarily bad.

Ok, what? When did I slut-shame anyone? What are you even talking about?

His motivations are basically the same. They just don't need to be spelled out. Probably the same for his origin. His relationship with Ned is different, yeah, but with May and MJ they're the same.

As for his scientific stuff, it's not impossible that Stark's company has tech which could improve Peter's webslingers. It's a billion dollar company with access to alien tech. It is different from the comics, but not necessarily bad.
    Saying people having more than one lover is somehow bad, or dated is for sure. Especially since it's not even a dated concept.

His motivations became pleasing Mr. Stark. His whole schedule was then planned by Happy. His relationship to May is the only thing that is the same. It's not with MJ at all.

Stark's company making things for Pete takes away from Pete being able to do those things himself. Which is a huge part of his character. His genius is central.

Ultimate Member

Saying people having more than one lover is somehow bad, or dated is for sure. Especially since it's not even a dated concept.

His motivations became pleasing Mr. Stark. His whole schedule was then planned by Happy. His relationship to May is the only thing that is the same. It's not with MJ at all.

Stark's company making things for Pete takes away from Pete being able to do those things himself. Which is a huge part of his character. His genius is central.
    Maybe dated isn't the right word. I just don't see how a new love interest every other time is somehow entertaining. I didn't say he's a bad person because of it. Just that it's not exactly peak storytelling

I agree his motivations could be less Stark-centric, but that's not why he became Spider-Man in the first place in the MCU.

I also don't see how relying on others for help is a detriment to the character. Over-relying, yeah, but I don't feel that's what's happened. Having all these heroes isolated and never share their knowledge or tech doesn't work as well.

Maybe dated isn't the right word. I just don't see how a new love interest every other time is somehow entertaining. I didn't say he's a bad person because of it. Just that it's not exactly peak storytelling

I agree his motivations could be less Stark-centric, but that's not why he became Spider-Man in the first place in the MCU.

I also don't see how relying on others for help is a detriment to the character. Over-relying, yeah, but I don't feel that's what's happened. Having all these heroes isolated and never share their knowledge or tech doesn't work as well.
    Think of it like this. Let's say you have a lot of accomplishments in your life. Then years later someone comes by and takes all the credit for that. How would you feel about that?

Would you feel cheated? Would you think that was 'help?'

It's not help and it doesn't help his character grow. He's stunted by Tony needing all the attention. He's not even given the freedom to have his own schedule and he's a teenager, not a baby.

He can still have his genius, create his own costume, create his own web slingers and find his way onto a team of Avengers. There's nothing isolationist about being smart. Some smart people are very extroverted.

Superfan Through The Ages BBally's Avatar

‘Falcon and Winter Soldier’ Rises to No. 1 in Nielsen Streaming Rankings

The show becomes the second Disney+ series, after 'The Mandalorian,' to finish first overall in the weekly charts.

The Falcon and the Winter Soldier claimed the top overall spot in Nielsen’s streaming rankings for the first time in the week of April 12-18.

The Marvel series is the second Disney+ title, after The Mandalorian, to claim the No. 1 overall spot. They’re also among just a handful of titles from streamers other than Netflix to grab the top spot; Amazon’s Coming 2 America and HBO Max’s Wonder Woman 1984 (which was a one-off inclusion in the rankings) are the others.

The Falcon and the Winter Soldier racked up 855 million minutes of viewing time, its highest total so far, for the week its fifth episode was released (Nielsen’s streaming metric measures all episodes of a series). It moved ahead of the prior week’s No. 1, Netflix’s movie Thunder Force (742 million, down from 950 million).
    https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv...source=twitter
    No matter how many reboots, new origins, reinterpretations or suit redesigns. In the end, he will always be SUPERMAN

Credit for avatar goes to zclark

Ultimate Member

Think of it like this. Let's say you have a lot of accomplishments in your life. Then years later someone comes by and takes all the credit for that. How would you feel about that?

Would you feel cheated? Would you think that was 'help?'

It's not help and it doesn't help his character grow. He's stunted by Tony needing all the attention. He's not even given the freedom to have his own schedule and he's a teenager, not a baby.

He can still have his genius, create his own costume, create his own web slingers and find his way onto a team of Avengers. There's nothing isolationist about being smart. Some smart people are very extroverted.
    I don't see how anyone is taking credit for Spider-Man's webslingers.

Of course I'd like if MCU Peter was more independent, older and more established. I feel like a lot of the issues with MCU Peter stem from him being too much younger than the other Avengers.

I don't have a problem with him creating his own stuff. I just don't think heroes should never help each other out with each others' abilities. I mean, Falcon gets help from Wakanda. Why can't Spider-Man get help from others?

I don't see how anyone is taking credit for Spider-Man's webslingers.

Of course I'd like if MCU Peter was more independent, older and more established. I feel like a lot of the issues with MCU Peter stem from him being too much younger than the other Avengers.

I don't have a problem with him creating his own stuff. I just don't think heroes should never help each other out with each others' abilities. I mean, Falcon gets help from Wakanda. Why can't Spider-Man get help from others?
    Tony literally creates his better web slingers that Pete himself had created in other versions of the character.

Pete is the same age in the MCU that he was in his intro as a character in comics.

I'm not saying heroes should never help each other... I'm saying heroes shouldn't take others' accomplishments. It does take away from them.

Falcon's wings were made by T'Challa in the comics. That is not much different. This is.

Ultimate Member

Tony literally creates his better web slingers that Pete himself had created in other versions of the character.

Pete is the same age in the MCU that he was in his intro as a character in comics.

I'm not saying heroes should never help each other... I'm saying heroes shouldn't take others' accomplishments. It does take away from them.

Falcon's wings were made by T'Challa in the comics. That is not much different. This is.
    Yeah, Peter is the same age from the comics, but the others aren't. IMO he should've been much older in the MCU. All these other heroes are moving forward with their lives, so I think Spider-Man should too.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on these issues. Idk if either of us will convince the other.

Extraordinary Member

I have a few issues with Spidey in the MCU.

1. All the Stark Tech...I have no issue with Tony being around...but Peter is diminished with Tony giving him all his tech gear.

2. Pete has had enough characters over the years that they could have given him a diverse supporting cast that does not include Not-Flash. And I had no issue with Michelle Jones until the whole "my friends call me MJ"

3. Hated the whole blown secret identity in Far From Home.