Page 180 of 775 FirstFirst ... 80130170176177178179180181182183184190230280680 ... LastLast
Results 2,686 to 2,700 of 11615
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Throwing the "somewhere in the multiverse" bone to Agents of SHIELD is more than I thought the show would get in a post-Disney+ world, honestly. I figured that show and the Netflix Defenders would just never be acknowledged on any level.

I do find it surprising that Loki seems to be establishing Agent Carter as MCU canon however. The presumed Peggy cameo in episode one, and one of the apocolypses talked about in episode 2 referenced something from Agent Carter as well. Even the Endgame writers took the show into account when deciding when Steve would return to the past, apparently (it was in some interview I never saved the link to). I gotta be honest, if you had told me one of the old shows was gonna get acknowledged by the films as canon, I wouldn't have bet on it being Carter, which only lasted two seasons and didn't have the kind of critical reception that the Netflix shows got.

In my humble opinion Both Agents of Shield and Agent Carter were better than any marvel Netflix show. There were parts of the Netflix shows which were really great. But week to week no comparison. If you asked me to watch any of those shows over again I would pick AOS and AC over them any day of the week.

Mighty Member

What are some good podcasts/shows that dive into the MCU giving analysis/reviews and other things?

I saw a guy on another website saying that Shang Chi and Eternals would be the first flops of the MCU, even saying that he didn't see anything interesting about them. That's the way I feel about Black Widow honestly. Natasha was never the most interesting character to me. Her most compelling use was in Captain America Winter Soldier, and that movie had a great sense of energy. Even from the trailers you could tell how great the dialogue and pacing and the tone was. It really was designed like a "genre" movie within the Marvel Universe. Black Widow doesn't seem like that at all. The narration, the music, the action scenes themselves, the "funny quips" are all so soft. It's the kind of movie that needs some kind of edge but hasn't found it. All the other MCU films coming out this year are the ones that actually excite me.

Shang Chi's first teaser was very weak to me. None of the action impressed me, nor the comedy, nor the narration. But the actual trailer released this week made the dynamic between Father and Son so much better with one line "Be Careful How you Speak to me Boy". That felt so intense and familiar. They showed the actually cool moment in the bus which is when he falls from the window on purpose and has to keep up with the bus by running. They showed the cool way the rings are gonna function. They showed a dragon immersed in an ocean.

And the Eternals promised what Man of Steel was hinting at but never delivered, a superhero take on Terrence Mallick's Tree of Life and Thin Red Line. A story about the idea of evolution, both scientifical and social throughout various points in time. What does progress mean you know? It's expansive storytelling.

Is anyone actually excited about Black Widow?

Ultimate Member

I've never been a huge Black Widow fan. I'm not generally big on the non-powered guys. But I'm curious to check out the movie. I want to see how Taskmaster is and how Yelena Belova is considering she's supposedly appearing in future projects. I just don't find non-powered spy stuff super interesting compared to what we've gotten or what we'll be getting in phase 4. But I'm guessing BW will be good

I was excited, before I saw a negative review. I think Florence Pugh is an amazing actress, so I've been looking forward to seeing what she brings to Black Widow.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Panic View Post
    I was excited, before I saw a negative review. I think Florence Pugh is an amazing actress, so I've been looking forward to seeing what she brings to Black Widow.
    I'd wait until there are more reviews out to get a better gauge on things. Even then, sometimes my feelings on a movie don't always jive with general opinion

Guess it's hard for you to get excited for any movie if one negative review is enough to kill your excitement.

By the way there are no reviews out at this point, only social media reactions, review embargo will lift on Tuesday.
    Tolstoy will live forever. Some people do. But that's not enough. It's not the length of a life that matters, just the depth of it. The chances we take. The paths we choose. How we go on when our hearts break. Hearts always break and so we bend with our hearts. And we sway. But in the end what matters is that we loved... and lived.

Quote Originally Posted by inisideguy View Post
    In my humble opinion Both Agents of Shield and Agent Carter were better than any marvel Netflix show. There were parts of the Netflix shows which were really great. But week to week no comparison. If you asked me to watch any of those shows over again I would pick AOS and AC over them any day of the week.
    I'm the opposite, I prefer the Netflix shows over Agents of Shield. I was never a Coulson/Shield fan so my interest was limited till the nuhumans and Ghost Rider popped up.

Quote Originally Posted by chicago_bastard View Post
    Guess it's hard for you to get excited for any movie if one negative review is enough to kill your excitement.

By the way there are no reviews out at this point, only social media reactions, review embargo will lift on Tuesday.
    No need to be a **** about it, Alpha asked if anyone was excited about the film and I gave an honest answer. This was the video I watched that lowered my expectations:

They can't go into detail because of the embargo, but they said enough to dampen my enthusiasm. That doesn't mean I won't look at other reviews when the film comes out, or even that I won't go to see the film, but yes, I am no longer so excited for the movie. Don't take it so personally, it's just how I feel.

No need to be a **** about it, Alpha asked if anyone was excited about the film and I gave an honest answer. This was the video I watched that lowered my expectations:

They can't go into detail because of the embargo, but they said enough to dampen my enthusiasm. That doesn't mean I won't look at other reviews when the film comes out, or even that I won't go to see the film, but yes, I am no longer so excited for the movie. Don't take it so personally, it's just how I feel.
    I don't take anything personally I just find it odd to lose one's excitement for something due to one negative opinion, that's all.
    Tolstoy will live forever. Some people do. But that's not enough. It's not the length of a life that matters, just the depth of it. The chances we take. The paths we choose. How we go on when our hearts break. Hearts always break and so we bend with our hearts. And we sway. But in the end what matters is that we loved... and lived.

Quote Originally Posted by chicago_bastard View Post
    I don't take anything personally I just find it odd to lose one's excitement for something due to one negative opinion, that's all.
    Well, in this case it was two. They both seemed to have the same issues with it, with no obvious signs of dissention. If it was just one guy who didn't like it I wouldn't worry so much.

Anyway, I prefer to have low expectations, it's a much better mindset for me going in to see a movie.

Ah yes, the old "this is the MCU's first flop!" Crap. I remember when they said that about Black Panther, Captain Marvel, Ant-Man, GotG, and probably a few others I'm forgetting.

At some point the MCU will produce a failure. But I'll believe it when I see the box office returns. But if I were gonna bet on the first bomb, I hear Disney isn't happy with the Ms. Marvel actress's performance and she's never acted before so I can believe that...but I'll expect Marvel to make it work until they prove me wrong.

Not watching the video posted above, and if those guys didn't love the film then okay. But that's two guys, I don't know them, and don't really care what their opinions are. They might not have loved the film, but I might. Or maybe I'll dislike it more than they did. We'll see in a few weeks.

I'm the opposite; I really loved most of the Netflix shows and consider them (some of them) to be high quality work that wouldn't be out of place among the best tv has to offer, while AoS and Carter were much more generic. Like, they were better than the Arrowverse but I'd still count them as being on that kind of level as far as quality goes, while I'd put Daredevil, Punisher, or the first season of Jessica Jones up against any of tv's big hitters like Lost, Game of Thrones, Sopranos, Mad Men, etc.

In any case, I'm glad that Carter appears to be getting its due as part of the MCU, I truly adore Haley Atwell in the role and her solo work deserves to be included among the alma mater. Odd that its getting this kind of reference (subtle though it still is) now, after years of being ignored by the Studio.
    Last edited by Ascended; 06-26-2021 at 06:26 PM.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Mighty Member

Who cares about reviews? They're not reliable anyway. Just because a movie might get some negative reviews doesn't mean it's a bad movie

Astonishing Member gonnagiveittoya's Avatar

Guys, the reviews for Captain Marvel were waaay more mixed than these and that still came out to be generally positive

I'll judge Black Widow after seeing it. The only thing I can say about it is that it's late. Yes, I know it's because of Perlmutter and blah blah blah but I think there would have been more hype if this had come out before IW/EG.

I gave up on Agents of SHIELD after the first episode. Occasionally tuned back in, like to check out Ghost Rider but nothing really wowed me. It was clear that aside from the twist in TWS, they knew just about as much as we do about what's going to happen in the films. The show was just a cheap cash grab that used the movies to boost their profile. It never felt like they had their own story to tell.

I enjoyed the first seasons of Daredevil, Jessica Jones, Punisher and the first half of Luke Cage. After that it seemed like the shows buckled under their own ambitions and they had no idea or were too reticent to go into the more fantastical elements of the comics. The less said about Iron Fist the better, I think Jessica Henwick is one of the few good parts of that series and I totally think that Finn Jones was miscast and was screwed over. They should have never tried to stretch JJ, LC and IF into a multi season show, they should have just gotten a solo single season and should have been combined into one 'Heroes-For-Hire' show. They clearly saw dollar signs after the success of the first DD season and rushed season 2 so they could launch a Punisher show but they should have instead waited and fleshed out the story before launching into production. Then there was Jeph Loeb blocking them from fleshing out their Asian characters which kneecapped DD, IF and Defenders. Then DDS3 tried to return to it's S1 roots. I wish they had just done a full on Born Again adaptation instead of trying to recapture it's former glory.