Page 29 of 761 FirstFirst ... 192526272829303132333979129529 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member Force de Phenix's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I thought they went back on it being a romantic comedy? For the amount of time they spent actually developing or focusing on the relationship between Scott and Hope, it didn't really feel like one...
    You're right. It's just a comedy, but not to the extent of GOTG2 which was practically slapstick.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I would've just assumed every MCU franchise would make at least a trilogy, although now that Thor has hit four movies the sky's the limit on that front.
    but the first two weren't all that great.

They could still do an 3rd Ant-Man film. While not the most popular MCU franchise, it certainly doesn't appear to be hated by the fans, either.

Quote Originally Posted by Force de Phenix View Post
    They underperformed, so it's the weakest franchise in the MCU since its early years.
    Where are you getting that they underperformed? Do you have a source saying what it was expected to make?

Quote Originally Posted by 80sbaby View Post
    They could still do an 3rd Ant-Man film. While not the most popular MCU franchise, it certainly doesn't appear to be hated by the fans, either.

Where are you getting that they underperformed? Do you have a source saying what it was expected to make?
    It barely made above 600m and it was actually one of the most successful MCU movies in China and that's not good because studios get less money made in China so they even made less.

And the budget wasn't low at all. It was about 160 million. (we can never be sure about the marketing budget but all solo/duo mcu movies likely share similar marketing budget)

Compare that to Doctor Strange's 160 million budget and 675m box office or Captain Marvel's 150m budget and 1.1b+ box office, it seriously underperformed. This wasn't even the first movie in the Ant-Man franchise unlike Strange and CM.
    Last edited by Captain M; 09-23-2019 at 06:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain M View Post
    It barely made above 600m and it was actually one of the most successful MCU movies in China and that's not good because studios get less money made in China so they even made less.

And the budget wasn't low at all. It was about 160 million. (we can never be sure about the marketing budget but all solo/duo mcu movies likely share similar marketing budget)

Compare that to Doctor Strange's 160 million budget and 675m box office or Captain Marvel's 150m budget and 1.1b+ box office, it seriously underperformed. This wasn't even the first movie in the Ant-Man franchise unlike Strange and CM.
    Why would we compare it to those, though? Saying something underperformed means there was an expectation. What was it in the case of Ant-Man? It made more than the first one, which was a good enough profit to get it a sequel.

I feel like that explanation only makes sense if Marvel Studios is spoiled rotten. Not every movie needs to be a Black Panther make ALL the money, just making a lot will do. They serve as nice breathers, small-scale affair in-between the epic stuff. Besides, they cancel it now when the seeds are in place for...

Cassie was like, the one main character to age from the time skip in any meaningful way. You can't tell me they did that with no plans for her to become Stature.
    Last edited by Hybrid; 09-23-2019 at 06:43 AM.

Why would we compare it to those, though? Saying something underperformed means there was an expectation. What was it in the case of Ant-Man? It made more than the first one, which was a good enough profit to get it a sequel.
    It's expected to perform on par with marvel movies that have similar budgets. Especially if it's a sequel. It barely made more than the first one. Again, AMATW performed really well in China, and had 30m more budget than the first one and likely a lot more marketing budget as well. And the amount of money that goes to market these movies is insane, so always keep that in mind. AMATW really didn't do a lot of money.

With MCU introducing a whole bunch of new franchises, there is simply no room for another AMATW. They only make so many movies a year and they don't want a franchise that's only slightly successful.

It's expected to perform on par with marvel movies that have similar budgets.
    Citation needed because I don't think that's correct at all.

Especially if it's a sequel. It barely made more than the first one.
    As far as I'm aware, it just needs to make more. There's no specific benchmark, unless again, you have a source saying different?
    Again, AMATW performed really well in China, and had 30m more budget than the first one and likely a lot more marketing budget as well. And the amount of money that goes to market these movies is insane, so always keep that in mind. AMATW really didn't do a lot of money.
    This seems like more speculation than facts, to be honest. Most of the time when we're given the bidget and the gross, the assumption of profit is based on that unless we're told otherwise. meaning, marketing never gets brought up unless it's in the case of something like Green Lantern or ASM 2, where we know the marketing played apart in it underperforming. As far as I know, this hasn't been said about Ant-Man and Wasp.

With MCU introducing a whole bunch of new franchises, there is simply no room for another AMATW. They only make so many movies a year and they don't want a franchise that's only slightly successful.
    Possibly but I guess we'll see.

Citation needed because I don't think that's correct at all.

It's a business. Why would Doctor Strange and AMATW have the same budget if Disney expected the latter to perform less? Why would they make that movie with that budget? Movies are released to make money, not to please fans. Literally common sense. Any move is a business decision to maximize profit. I assure you they wanted a better box office for AMATW. You would have heard a buzz about the third movie otherwise anyways.

It's a business. Why would Doctor Strange and AMATW have the same budget if Disney expected the latter to perform less? Why would they make that movie with that budget? Movies are released to make money, not to please fans. Literally common sense. Any move is a business decision to maximize profit. I assure you they wanted a better box office for AMATW. You would have heard a buzz about the third movie otherwise anyways.
    They're 2 different franchises. The fans of Dr. Strange aren't necessarily going to be fans of Ant-Man. Why would they expect them to draw in the exact same audience? That doesn't sound like common sense to me. And Marvel Studios gives all the solo films around the same budget. I doubt they expect them to all make the exact same amount of money, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    but the first two weren't all that great.
    And I still preferred them to Ragnarok, but that's me .

Quote Originally Posted by Hybrid View Post
    I feel like that explanation only makes sense if Marvel Studios is spoiled rotten. Not every movie needs to be a Black Panther make ALL the money, just making a lot will do. They serve as nice breathers, small-scale affair in-between the epic stuff. Besides, they cancel it now when the seeds are in place for...

Cassie was like, the one main character to age from the time skip in any meaningful way. You can't tell me they did that with no plans for her to become Stature.
    I don't think they're cancelling anything. They've had their Phase Four slate set for a long time now. I think they're just planning on following up with Stature in a Young Avengers series of some sort instead.

eh. i don't have a dog in this fight. but the only way they can say that it was canceled is if a third movie had already been planned. there was an Ant-Man and the Wasp 3 on the schedule. so how does that jive with theory that it was canceled because it underperformed? part 2 was a good place to end it/transition into Cassie's story (if that was the plan). Michael Douglas isn't getting any younger. and Cassie has already been aged up. Ghost's story could continue elsewhere i.e. Thunderbolts. Scott and Hope would probably be better utilized as cameo characters in the other properties. makes more sense than struggling to find a villain for the third (my ask would have been A.I.M, MODOK, & Monica Rappaccini).

I don't think anyone is saying it's "cancelled"

It was always only going to get a sequel if it did well. It didn't. They don't just plan one thing, they have backup plans. Similar to having plans without Spidey in civil war and onwards. Disney not buying fox.

I don't think anyone is saying it's "cancelled"
    i only reported it after reading an article that explicitly said it was cancelled in the headline.