Page 55 of 773 FirstFirst ... 54551525354555657585965105155555 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    He could be Bill's estranged son.

I guess as a "buddy cop" duo they're okay, but Hope having to be Scott's straight woman just leaves her coming off as a fairly dull Wasp in my opinion.
    it's the same dynamic that the original Ant-Man and Wasp had; just reversed. and it wouldn't make much sense for the less experienced of the two to be the 'straight-man.' Hope is written the way she is to highlight her experience and to establish that she's not the comic book character/Janet. all that said, i think people overstate her humorlessness. there were several jokes made at Scott's expense. and it was usually Hope making them. and she seemed to genuinely enjoy being an action hero. her action scenes took up most of the movie trailer. what more do you want?

The Hawkeye streaming show is now scheduled to start filming in July. No word yet on who is playing Kate Bishop.

An updated MCU schedule

May - Black Widow -

Summer - Agents of Shield Season 7 -

August - The Falcon and the Winter Soldier -

November - The Eternals -

TBD - Helstrom -TBD - WandaVision

February - Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings -

May - Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness -

Spring - Loki -

July - Untitled Spider-Man Sequel -

Summer - What-If -

Fall - Hawkeye -

November - Thor: Love and Thunder -

February - Untitled Film -

May - Black Panther 2 -

July - Untitled Film -

October - Untitled Film -

May - Untitled Film -

July - Untitled Film -

November - Untitled Film -
    Last edited by Witchfan; 01-02-2020 at 10:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    it's the same dynamic that the original Ant-Man and Wasp had; just reversed. and it wouldn't make much sense for the less experienced of the two to be the 'straight-man.' Hope is written the way she is to highlight her experience and to establish that she's not the comic book character/Janet. all that said, i think people overstate her humorlessness. there were several jokes made at Scott's expense. and it was usually Hope making them. and she seemed to genuinely enjoy being an action hero. her action scenes took up most of the movie trailer. what more do you want?

I get it's flipping the traditional Ant-Man and Wasp dynamic, I just think that comes at Hopes' expense and makes her kind of a more boring Wasp compared to Jan.

She looks cool in action, but that doesn't really make me interested in her as a character. She's like Black Widow with wings and shrinking powers.

I get it's flipping the traditional Ant-Man and Wasp dynamic, I just think that comes at Hopes' expense and makes her kind of a more boring Wasp compared to Jan.

She looks cool in action, but that doesn't really make me interested in her as a character. She's like Black Widow with wings and shrinking powers.
    The Black Widow who is getting a solo film? for the record, i'm interested in Hope. i think she is usable in a way that comic book Wasp isn't. she's made it mostly on her own steam. she's intelligent, skilled, and no one's sidekick. she handled Sonny Burch like a boss. she's also the rare child of superhero parents.

I prefer Jan over Hope. Jan is more fun. Also, Jan helped found, named, funded and chaired the Avengers. I don't think Hope will ever touch her accomplishments.
    Last edited by GenericUsername; 01-02-2020 at 01:47 PM.
    Love is for souls, not bodies.

Quote Originally Posted by GenericUsername View Post
    I prefer Jan over Hope. Jan is more fun. Also, Jan helped found, named, funded and chaired the Avengers. I don't think Hope will ever touch her accomplishments.
    in comics, probably not. but she "touched" both of her parents' accomplishments in the cinematic universe.

That's because they barely let them do anything. It's Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
    Love is for souls, not bodies.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    The Black Widow who is getting a solo film? for the record, i'm interested in Hope. i think she is usable in a way that comic book Wasp isn't. she's made it mostly on her own steam. she's intelligent, skilled, and no one's sidekick. she handled Sonny Burch like a boss. she's also the rare child of superhero parents.
    She's definitely different from normal Wasp, but not in a way I personally find very engaging. It sometimes come off like a stock Superheroine characterization. But that's just me.

I guess I'm also somewhat bitter that using Hope in Avengers Assemble proved to be such a huge waste of Kari Wahlgren's talents.

Astonishing Member chamber-music's Avatar

Hope/Lilly is the straight woman to Scott/Rudd's character. It's the classic comedy trope of pairing a more comedic character who gets into mishaps with a sensible disapproving one.

Hope is super competent but that alone isn't particularly interesting. I would like to see Hope be a bit more mad scientist like her dad. Come up with some unconventional solutions to problems in situations. I think it would be a lot of fun to see Hope suggesting doing something dangerous and Scott being the one who freaks out for a change.
    What I'm expecting is they'll introduce O'Grady and maybe Bill's son who can be the modern Goliath.
    I don't think they will fill the need to make O'Grady Bill's son when there is Bill's nephew, Atlas, Cassie (Stature/Stinger) and new Giant-Man Raz who can all fill the Goliath/Giant-Man role.

If O'Grady appears then I think they should make him a ex-Shield agent like the comics or ex-Hydra. Also he will probably be Black Ant if he needs a movie moniker.

I'm hoping for a Monica Rappaccini and Modok lead revamped AIM vs the Ant-Man and Wasp gang for the third film.

Carson could of sold his Cross particles to AIM following Hydra's collapse and AIM try to reverse engineer Pym particle technology to create their own time travel device.
    Last edited by chamber-music; 01-03-2020 at 02:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Witchfan View Post
    The Hawkeye streaming show is now scheduled to start filming in July. No word yet on who is playing Kate Bishop.

An updated MCU schedule

May - Black Widow -

Summer - Agents of Shield Season 7 -

August - The Falcon and the Winter Soldier -

November - The Eternals -

TBD - Helstrom -TBD - WandaVision

February - Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings -

May - Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness -

Spring - Loki -

July - Untitled Spider-Man Sequel -

Summer - What-If -

Fall - Hawkeye -

November - Thor: Love and Thunder -

May - Black Panther 2 -

July - Untitled Film -

October - Untitled Film -

May - Untitled Film -

July - Untitled Film -

November - Untitled Film -
    Wow ... that gap between Disney+ Mandelorian and the next nerd binge isn't until 8 months later in august? Suddenly I get why they were selling those 1yr subs as hard as possible ... they only have like 3 months of content planned for the year.

That's _really_ disappointing.

Quote Originally Posted by chamber-music View Post
    Hope/Lilly is the straight woman to Scott/Rudd's character. It's the classic comedy trope of pairing a more comedic character who gets into mishaps with a sensible disapproving one.

Hope is super competent but that alone isn't particularly interesting. I would like to see Hope be a bit more mad scientist like her dad. Come up with some unconventional solutions to problems in situations.
    like hitting someone with an enlarged salt shaker? or busting through a car window at wasp size to beat someone up in the backseat only to whip around through the driver's side window and take out the driver? charming or not, she's a bonafide action hero.

I think it would be a lot of fun to see Hope suggesting doing something dangerous and Scott being the one who freaks out for a change.
    Scott was freaked out throughout Ant-Man 1 & 2, from my memory. for contrast, nothing phased Hope. he was in the movie to be quantum entangled with Janet. all of his involvement was due to Hope's plan.

p.s. Eric's one of my favorite characters. and i legitimately don't see room for him in the MCU as-is. he, as a concept, doesn't really fit into what they have going. what made him work originally was that the marvel universe had become so big and established that someone so far down the food chain could take a supersuit for what amounted to a joyride. Eric wouldn't be ambitious enough to drive a plot. they could get away with him stealing the ant-man gear and adventuring for about 5 minutes on screen. and it would still feel like the Scott Lang scenes that were scrapped in the first movie. that's just my pessimistic take on it.
    Last edited by Michael Watkins; 01-03-2020 at 06:45 AM.

I figure if we get O'Grady he'll be used as a villainous foil for Scott. What he could've been without the Pym family around to help redeem him.

Hope is super competent but that alone isn't particularly interesting. I would like to see Hope be a bit more mad scientist like her dad. Come up with some unconventional solutions to problems in situations. I think it would be a lot of fun to see Hope suggesting doing something dangerous and Scott being the one who freaks out for a change.
    She could use some of her mom's zest.

I think Cassie will probably be the one making Scott freak out the most in the next movie.

The thing with Hope is that not only is she the straight man in the dynamic, she's also the grown up. Doesn't leave a lot of room for funny quips.

And I don't think she's a bad character, or flat, or anything else. She's got plenty of motivation and drive and purpose. From any other studio we'd say she's got plenty of personality and interesting traits. But she's MCU, and one of the few characters across two dozen movies who isn't comedic or 100% full of sass, so she's easily drowned out by everyone else's zingers. She's perhaps the only truly serious person wearing a costume in all of Marvel's movies.

I prefer comic Jan to Hope, but Janet has been around since the 60's, Hope has been in two movies with a glorified cameo in a third. And odds are Hope will only appear in two, maybe three more films and that'll be it for her. So she's not gonna have the time to rival comic Janet at all.

I don't see them using O'Grady in the foreseeable future either. They've got Cassie and Goliath waiting in the wings. I don't see them dropping O'Grady on us out of nowhere when they've got two characters who are not only established already, but also hit the "diversity check list" that the MCU has so often ignored. Maybe they'll twist O'Grady up as a villain or something, but if they use him at all in the next few years the changes will probably be as drastic as Ned "totally not Ganke" Leeds.

Anyway. Man, are they really bumping up to 4 films a year? Damn, that is a lot. Especially with the Disney+ shows on top of it. Or could some of those "untitled films" actually be part of the streaming service? Not sure how announcements like that go.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Anyway. Man, are they really bumping up to 4 films a year? Damn, that is a lot. Especially with the Disney+ shows on top of it. Or could some of those "untitled films" actually be part of the streaming service? Not sure how announcements like that go.
    I know 2021 has four films, but I don't they've said every year will be like that.
    HEY KIDS, (BUY MY) COMICS!! https://www.mythworldemedia.com/store

Quote Originally Posted by G. Boney View Post
    I know 2021 has four films, but I don't they've said every year will be like that.
    Actually, yeah they’ve confirmed that there will be four movies in 2022 and 2023 with dates set for unknown movies. They’re going all in.