Page 63 of 773 FirstFirst ... 135359606162636465666773113163563 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by gurkle View Post
    IMO (and only my personal opinion of course) being an AU is more harmful than being ignored, because it makes it seem like the stories don't "count" and the characters who appear are not the official ones. It's true that the movies never acknowledge that Coulson is alive but the Coulson we saw on Agents of Shield is still the same guy we saw in the movies. If it were an AU, he wouldn't be.
    The whole notion that the shows, especially Agents of SHIELD, didn't take place in the MCU has always struck me as not just foolish, but overly complicated. So what, the AoS universe is exactly like the MCU with all the same events happening at the same time, and all the same characters (played by the same actors), except Coulson's alive? That's far more complicated than it needs to be.

I get that people were annoyed the movies didn't acknowledge the shows more. That annoyed me too. But if you thought they were going to, then you weren't thinking it through. The pacing differences between film and tv are substantial, we were dealing with separate companies with their own contracts and schedules and budgets and audiences. That's a lot of hoops to jump through for minimal payoff. And how many people watch a Marvel movie compared to the shows? It's not in the films' best interests to waste time and resources establishing something from the shows when most of the movie audience don't watch the tv stuff. I mean, if they had Quake show up in Endgame, most people in the audience wouldn't have said "Wow, its Quake! How cool!" they'd have said "Who the hell is this and why is she here?" Fans like us would've loved it (and I really wish Coulson and Vision had been there for that last fight) but we're a vast minority compared to the general audience.

The films referenced the shows in more subtle ways that established the connection. It was a mostly one-way street but that doesn't mean there was no street connecting them at all.

The Defenders.....it doesn't really matter much if they were part of the MCU or not. The Mature rating on those shows was enough to make sure the only crossover was in easter eggs and "blink and you'll miss it" references. Disney doesn't want Daredevil showing up in Avengers just so little kids can backtrack that character to Netflix and end up with nightmares.

In any case, Marvel Studios being responsible for the streaming shows is going to give us the full-blown interactions the tv stuff wanted to do but couldn't. Keeping it all in-house smooths over most of the hurdles involved in crossovers.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

... people are still trying to do the mental gymnastics to connect Loeb’s TV shows to the actual MCU?

Seems like it requires more effort to separate them, honestly.

Of course, with AoS about to end (and not joining the 2023 time jump, or so I hear) and most of the streaming shows pulled so Disney+ can be the sole place for Marvel tv, it's largely a non-issue now.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Not really. It amounts to Loeb saying "Guys, this is the MCU!" for marketing reasons, and Feige ignoring them. I don't know how you can even connect those shows to the MCU besides Loeb's BS "it's all connected" crap. Only AoS made an effort to connect, which was one-sided, and they massively screwed up in S6 because it wasn't part of the movie time skip (hint: the guys at Marvel TV weren't told it would happen) and thus marking it as an alternate continuity. The others were clearly written to take place in their own continuities with there at best being some vague reference to "the green guy" or "the one with the hammer". Feige even said that the Disney+ shows are the first time the movies and TV are interlinked, because the others were so disconnected in the past. There were even different rights between Marvel Studios and Marvel TV that prevented crossovers from happening, which doesn't sound shared to me.

It'll probably be a matter of time before Feige clarifies that Marvel TV shows are "different takes" when it's time to reboot Daredevil and the others. The final battle of Endgame was touted as having all living heroes, yet the Defenders, Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., Runaways etc. were conspicuously absent. Finally, the Marvel TV shows weren't in the Phases, the Disney+ shows are. I think if Feige's not involved, it's not really MCU. I remember trying so hard to connect the shows and the movie canon, and really it only makes sense when you realize the shows aren't canon at all.

Jeremy Conrad of MCU Cosmic is reporting that Hulkling is being cast for the MCU, and that the character may debut in WandaVision.

Jeremy Conrad is sometimes not very accurate. So I'll wait and see how everything shakes out. I hope for some YA stuff, but, not gonna get my hopes up over rumors.
    Love is for souls, not bodies.

Definitely not putting stock in the Hulkling rumor. But it wouldn't be surprising if true. We've got a bunch of teen heroes coming up; a mix of Champions and YA, and it doesn't seem like a stretch to imagine they're building up to a teen team. Though, of all of Mar-Vell's kids, Hulkling is my least favorite.

And I'm not getting into the stupid "are the shows *real* MCU or not?" argument again. Did people from the movies appear in the shows? Did events from the movies get referenced and used? Yes. We even had Jarvis show up in Endgame. Same f**king universe, until/unless Fiege says otherwise or something directly contradicts it. If you need to jump through alternate reality hoops to justify why Tony Stark never showed up on tv, you go ahead and do you.

~ Black Panther.

Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GenericUsername View Post
    Jeremy Conrad is sometimes not very accurate. So I'll wait and see how everything shakes out. I hope for some YA stuff, but, not gonna get my hopes up over rumors.
    Jeremy was not the original source, he's just reporting other people's stories. Insider Daniel Richtman first tweeted about it, then The GWW and The Illuminerdi posted their own scoops about a potential casting call for the character. Charles Murphy, who's a reliable insider, retweeted one of the articles, which I doubt he would do if he didn't trust the source.

I mean, yeah, it could turn out to be false, but there is enough to consider it.

Daniel RPK is not anymore reliable.
    Love is for souls, not bodies.

It’s going to be fun when the MCU starts making really daring films.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRay View Post
    It’s going to be fun when the MCU starts making really daring films.
    Right? I'm hoping this new batch of movies is what kicks such a shift off. Eternals might just be more cosmic MCU like we've seen with GotG and Ragnarok, but I'm hoping for a little more Kirby sturm und drang, Thor 4 just might maybe be some kind of romantic comedy, Strange 2 is still supposed to be horror-ish (even if the director maybe wanted to push that further than Disney was comfortable with), the D+ shows might all be rather daring too, who knows?

I was hoping Black Widow would be a little less MCU-ish and a little more Marvel Knights/Netflix (that Red Room stuff, Nat's history.....that's dark, messed up sh*t man!) but the trailers have left me thinking this won't be the case. Movie looks like a ton of fun, but closer to the typical MCU stuff than I had hoped.

But hey, if Hulu still makes those cartoons, that'll be kinda daring. Sounds like the "Offenders" will basically just be Adult Swim type shows, and we've already got that with DCU's Harley Quinn, but it'd still be daring by Marvel standards.

~ Black Panther.

Captain Marvel 2: Original Directors Not Returning, Marvel Is Searching for Female Filmmaker
    https://comicbook.com/marvel/2020/01...rector-female/

Marvel is moving the action from the 1990s to the present day with scribe Megan McDonnell.
    https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/he...writer-1272259

Extraordinary Member

REPORT: Doctor Strange 2 Casting Indicates Another Major Young Avenger

A new report claims a key Young Avengers member could make her Marvel Cinematic Universe debut in Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness.

According to the Illuminerdi, casting information for the sequel to 2016's Doctor Strange indicates America Chavez/Miss America will appear in the film. The outlet describes the casting call as being for a "teenage Hispanic female" in a supporting role.

To read more open link below.
    https://www.cbr.com/report-doctor-st...merica-chavez/

Doctor Strange 2 Will Reportedly Introduce America Chavez

Doctor Strange 2 is reportedly casting a Hispanic female teenager as a supporting lead, who could be America Chavez aka Marvel's Miss America.
    https://screenrant.com/doctor-strang...ca-chavez-mcu/

I just found out about this info here.
    Last edited by mace11; 01-25-2020 at 05:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Witchfan View Post
    Captain Marvel 2: Original Directors Not Returning, Marvel Is Searching for Female Filmmaker
    https://comicbook.com/marvel/2020/01...rector-female/

Marvel is moving the action from the 1990s to the present day with scribe Megan McDonnell.
    https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/he...writer-1272259
    First Strange's director and now Carol's? Wow.

Well, as much as I enjoyed Strange and Carol's films, they didn't blow me away. Solid stuff, enjoyable, I've watched both more than once....but they're not Winter Soldier quality, yknow? So maybe new directors can bring these movies up to the next level.

~ Black Panther.