Page 624 of 774 FirstFirst ... 124524574614620621622623624625626627628634674724 ... LastLast
Results 9,346 to 9,360 of 11608
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Maestro 216 View Post
    Speaking of clickbait videos...

Clickbait is SOP for most any online article or video, though this one doesn't have the CBR remorse.

https://comicbookmovie.com/cdn-cgi/i...rs/201207.jpeg

Give me quality over quantity any day of the week
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    https://comicbookmovie.com/cdn-cgi/i...rs/201207.jpeg

Give me quality over quantity any day of the week
    Can't argue with that.

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Drops Of Venus View Post
    She's been there since the beginning alongside Feige, so it's hard for me to imagine this was his decision. She was promoted under him, after all. Maybe it was just an amicable split, but looking at the fact that her last position was head of Post-Production, Visual Effects and Animation, all of which have sort of been thrown into some sort of crisis during phase 4... I can't help but wonder if she ended up being a casualty from Disney trying to restructure Marvel Studios.
    I suspect this may be a large part of it.

Quote Originally Posted by gurkle View Post
    I'm sure she makes suggestions but ultimately everything that happens is because Feige approves it, and Disney approves of him approving it. People just assume it must be Victoria Alonso's fault because they don't know much about her except her name and some things she's said in interviews.

Just like people jumped to blame Michael Waldron and Jeff Loveness, and they deserve blame for their scripts, but ultimately they are carrying out what their bosses want, plus Feige's the one who decided to hand big movies to writers with no feature film experience. Or, I'll be more controversial here, the MCU's problem with women clearly was not entirely the fault of Ike Perlmutter, because it's continued in his absence. Perlmutter deserved blame but so did Feige and others; Perlmutter was the easiest target, that's all.

The simplest explanation for why Alonso was pushed out is that the VFX problems -- both the rushed-looking VFX and the horror stories about the way Marvel treats the VFX studios -- have been the single biggest source of bad publicity in the last couple of years, and Alonso is the executive most responsible for physical production and post-production, including VFX. She's the head that rolls first.
    Exactly. Feige has approved everything, so whatever the situation, it isn't entirely Alonso's fault. I'd argue they are partly blaming her, because of the usual misogyny and anti-wokeness of the click bait complainers.

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    She had a lot of problems. VFX pros hate her; and when she got more responsibility for that area, their product declined in quality, and working for her was very sweatshop like. She also wanted to bring in the X-Men as the X-People or some such, and was responsible for much of the MCU's more recent diversity push which at the least took place while their box office and reviews tanked, whether or not there was causation. And, I've heard The Marvels is a horror show of badness, requiring reshoots---she may be catching heat because of that. Oh well, whatever the cause, I'm sure it will leak in due course.
    So, you work for Marvel Studios?

Again, it wasn't Alonso who decided Marvel needed to shove out all these shows and movies. It was Disney, who needed content for streaming, and box office successes, while the entire movie industry was tanking because of the pandemic.

I tend to ignore people complaining about or blaming diversity programs. You certainly don't see these same people complaining about all the white people or all the men in their entertainment.

Apparently there are conflicting reports from VFX pros concerning Alonso herself.

Starting on Reddit, followed by a series of stories published across the internet, visual effects artists began to loudly complain about Marvel’s demanding post-production schedules. Complaints ranged from unrelenting overtime to chronic understaffing to the inability to avoid delivering substandard work due to constantly changing deadlines. Some singled out Alonso as a “kingmaker” who would blacklist artists who have “pissed her off in any way.”

One visual effects artist recently told Variety that the biggest issue for them was MarvelÂ’s inability to provide clear guidelines.

“The show I was on really struggled because it was an established character whose powers they were reconceiving for the MCU,” the artist said on the condition of anonymity. Most complaints, they said, came down to one refrain: “Marvel doesn’t figure **** out beforehand.”

A different senior VFX artist threw cold water on the idea that Alonso would single out individual artists: “The idea of a very senior exec terrifying rank and file artists, per some reports, feels a bit off,” they told Variety. Above the line, three different up-and-coming Marvel actors agreed that Alonso was only a supportive force on set.

“She was the epitome of professional and knows her stuff,” said one former Disney film executive.
    Inside Victoria AlonsoÂ’s Shocking Exit From Marvel Studios by Variety.
    Last edited by Reviresco; 03-23-2023 at 02:18 PM.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    I suspect this may be a large part of it.

Exactly. Feige has approved everything, so whatever the situation, it isn't entirely Alonso's fault. I'd argue they are partly blaming her, because of the usual misogyny and anti-wokeness of the click bait complainers.

So, you work for Marvel Studios?

Again, it wasn't Alonso who decided Marvel needed to shove out all these shows and movies. It was Disney, who needed content for streaming, and box office successes, while the entire movie industry was tanking because of the pandemic.

I tend to ignore people complaining about or blaming diversity programs. You certainly don't see these same people complaining about all the white people or all the men in their entertainment.

Apparently there are conflicting reports from VFX pros concerning Alonso herself.

Inside Victoria AlonsoÂ’s Shocking Exit From Marvel Studios buy Variety.
    Agreed especially the last part.

Disney execs were the ones that pushed for more content post-Endgame which has stretched them. Seriously, Disney doesn’t even seem to know how they want to handle Star Wars after saying they wanted to release multiple movies a year back then.

Ultimately, until Alonso herself speaks up, we won’t know what happened but her leaving seems unfortunate. She was a part of a very successful long term project and as an LGBT person herself had pushed hard for representation for a while now (we shouldn’t forget that BP and Captain Marvel were both megahits). Obviously the quality of VFX has gone down in Marvel productions and there were some complaints from their VFX partners but I chalk all that to the crazy push for content on streaming and in the theaters.

That’s not to say she’s faultless but a lot of these big company execs make bad decisions and let others take the fall for them.
    Last edited by Username taken; 03-23-2023 at 02:29 PM.

BANNED

Since crap rolls downhill and people fail upward, I'm sure it isn't all on Alonso. But Feige's own failings do not erase hers. Misandry is a word that I've actually had to learn in my middle age from the entertainment media of the last decade. Alonso didn't help herself with the type of unpopular content that she pushed for, but I suspect that what really sealed her fate was her pressuring Disney to play politics against Florida's Parental Rights Bill; as a result, Disney lost at least some of its cushy self-governance and is now subject to more costly taxes like other businesses, and incurred debt in the hundreds of millions. Feige may get his someday, but Alonso's zeal for diversity over quality came back to bite her in the rear.

Except that the most-acclaimed films and series that built up the MCU weren't sold on their protagonists' skin color and sex. When those are put out there to market the products, they are more than fair game to criticize; especially when it turns out that skin color and sex are what the products mainly have going for them compared to, more to their detriment, the derivative nature of their new characters. I don't think fans of black T'Challa were any happier with black Ironheart and black Fem-BP than fans of white Hawkeye and white Loki were with them playing second fiddle to white Kate Bishop and white Fem-Loki. Or fans of white She-Hulk with her unlikeable portrayal and overall lousy series writing. Fans of white Daredevil don't have high hopes for his Disney revival.

Extraordinary Member

Louder for those in the cheap seats.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bat22 View Post
    Since crap rolls downhill and people fail upward, I'm sure it isn't all on Alonso. But Feige's own failings do not erase hers. Misandry is a word that I've actually had to learn in my middle age from the entertainment media of the last decade. Alonso didn't help herself with the type of unpopular content that she pushed for, but I suspect that what really sealed her fate was her pressuring Disney to play politics against Florida's Parental Rights Bill; as a result, Disney lost at least some of its cushy self-governance and is now subject to more costly taxes like other businesses, and incurred debt in the hundreds of millions. Feige may get his someday, but Alonso's zeal for diversity over quality came back to bite her in the rear.

"I'm Bob Chapek, ruler of Disney, and I can't decide to stand up to Hitler Wannabe DeSantis about basic human rights violated in the Don't Say Gay bill, so I had to have this lesbian Latina employee make the decision for me. Blame the woman!" Seriously? That's how you think it went down? If that's what happened, it ain't Alonso who is going to be looking bad in this mess.

And reporting is saying it isn't Disney that's going to be hurting, when it's the tax payers that will have to take on that billion dollar debt for Reedy Creek or the lawsuits around First Amendment violations.

How are we measuring popularity? Cause all four of Marvel Studios films in 2022 were in the top ten box office.

Quote Originally Posted by bat22 View Post
    Except that the most-acclaimed films and series that built up the MCU weren't sold on their protagonists' skin color and sex. When those are put out there to market the products, they are more than fair game to criticize; especially when it turns out that skin color and sex are what the products mainly have going for them compared to, more to their detriment, the derivative nature of their new characters. I don't think fans of black T'Challa were any happier with black Ironheart and black Fem-BP than fans of white Hawkeye and white Loki were with them playing second fiddle to white Kate Bishop and white Fem-Loki. Or fans of white She-Hulk with her unlikeable portrayal and overall lousy series writing. Fans of white Daredevil don't have high hopes for his Disney revival.
    That's your opinion. I could point to just as many people that are enjoying all those shows and PoC characters and women that you have a problem with.

Other than the first Black Panther and Captain Marvel, none of Marvel movies were "sold" on their protagonists skin color or sex, and that certainly wasn't all those movie had going for them. The most acclaimed films were the Black Panther movies, the only Marvel movies to win Oscars, so I guess we need more PoC and women centric movies, right?
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Given her actual job, I’d like to believe they fired her for the (not) special effects for MODOK.

I sincerely doubt she was fired for her politics, sex or orientation, as that would be illegal and Disney doesn’t seem to play that way. I also highly doubt she got fired for lowballing VFX houses. Show me someone anywhere in corporate America who got fired for paying contractors too little. LMAO! The very thought of her getting fired for playing hardball with contractors, which is what those VFX firms are, is hysterical. On the other hand, producing absolutely crap special effects when your whole job is to be THE FX pro, that’s pretty understandable.

Niffleheim

I've seen most of the blame being put on Alonso and there is no way she was singularly responsible however I think what did her in is all the bad press on the treatment of VFX artists (which to this day I'll continue to blame the VFX houses instead of Marvel Studios). Maybe Disney just needed someone to fire to coincide with their mandate of pausing Marvel projects.

I know they are unrelated but It is interesting that Marvel Comics fired Axel Alonso after he launched Marvel NOW! 2 and Marvel Studios fired Victoria Alonso when MCU is adapting Marvel NOW! 2
    Last edited by Tofali; 03-24-2023 at 06:53 AM.
    "Dedra Meero is not just a woman in a men’s world, but a fascist in a world of fascists.” - Denise Gough

Quote Originally Posted by Tofali View Post
    I've seen most of the blame being put on Alonso and their is no way she was singularly responsible however I think what did her in is all the bad press on the treatment of VFX artists (which to this day I'll continue to blame the VFX houses instead of Marvel Studios). Maybe Disney just needed someone to fire to coincide with their mandate of pausing Marvel projects.

I know they are unrelated but It is interesting that Marvel Comics fired Axel Alonso after he launched Marvel NOW! 2 and Marvel Studios fired Victoria Alonso when MCU is adapting Marvel NOW! 2
    You’re right that she just might be a scapegoat. Her treatment of the contractors, though — whatever. Like I said, show me a documented example of anyone with budgetary authority in corporate America who got fired for lowballing contractors. That simply doesn’t happen. The kvetching from the VFX houses is just gossip unless someone within Disney indicates that’s why she was let go, and then she would be the first exec ever to get fired for such a thing. Bad special effects? Well, if her job is to make good effects, they might fire her for not doing her job. They might fire her as a scapegoat for Disney’s and Feige’s decisions. That happens all the time in corporate America.

I have worked in large — one bigger than Disney — companies incorporated in America my whole whole adult life. You do not get fired for putting the screws to contractors. Period.

As for Alex Alonso, I never thought I’d say this, but I miss him.
    Last edited by Brian B; 03-24-2023 at 06:49 AM.

I guess one way or another it seems like things are shaking up at Marvel Studios.

Extraordinary Member

BREAKING Marvel Studios VP Was Working for Rival Studio & More on why she was Fired

The Reason Behind Victoria Alonso’s Marvel Studios Firing Revealed
    https://heroichollywood.com/the-reas...ring-revealed/

Marvel’s Victoria Alonso Was Fired for Promoting ‘Argentina: 1985,’ in Violation of Her Contract
    https://www.imdb.com/news/ni64011013

Inside the Firing of Victoria Alonso: Her Oscar-Nominated Movie ‘Argentina, 1985’ at Center of Exit (Exclusive)
    https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/mo...85-1235360231/

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by mace11 View Post
    BREAKING Marvel Studios VP Was Working for Rival Studio & More on why she was Fired

Marvel’s Victoria Alonso Was Fired for Promoting ‘Argentina: 1985,’ in Violation of Her Contract

Inside the Firing of Victoria Alonso: Her Oscar-Nominated Movie ‘Argentina, 1985’ at Center of Exit (Exclusive)
    This makes a lot more sense than the earlier speculation.

Quote Originally Posted by mace11 View Post

Well, yes, that is something an argentinian would do.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin