Page 307 of 365 FirstFirst ... 207257297303304305306307308309310311317357 ... LastLast
Results 4,591 to 4,605 of 5473
  1. #4591

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    They haven't really interacted much in the movies. All Strange would probably know about Wanda now is Westview, assuming they finally explain why he was an utter no-show.
    Well they had a first interaction in comics as well. Everything starts somewhere.
    Love is for souls, not bodies.

  2. #4592
    Astonishing Member Castle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Posts
    2,711

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GenericUsername View Post
    Which was the storyline that depicted her the least like herself, so much so that they had to write later that she was possessed. It's only popular because it gets parroted by people that don't really read much or anything about the character in general fandom. Same people that thought that Cap and Tony were married in the main universe.

    They went into full detail. I think you misread. Her power definition is not undefined. They have a hard time convincing people because again, people go on perception and not reality. More so for Wanda than Pietro. Because Pietro actually spent time on the X-side and had character defining stories there. People like to instead dream up stuff instead of what is actually canon. Also, Wanda's powers don't have anything to do with being a mutant. Chaos magic worked with her mutant gene but didn't come from it. It came from Chthon and that's been a thing since the 70s, it just wasn't called chaos magic until Busiek.

    Wanda is better suited for Avengers. Which were her far better and more developed stories for now 57 years. Comics entirely are not good at dealing with mental struggles.
    House of M is still her defining story line. fans are free to have a love, likeness of hatred of the story but that is the story wanda has come to be known for. Wanda was not even all that much of an important relevant used character in marvel comics before house of m, remove wanda in movies, she was far better known in comics as magneto's daughter than an Avenger and in a way still is because what people seem to want most in the MCU is Wanda meeting Magneto.

    Secondly they had a hard time convincing people on the retcon because not only do people find it more compelling to accept a more science fiction grounded explanation like genetic mutation of the human cells that gives people power compared to hoccas poccas magic when the character is more comic book superhero based than fantasy based. comic readers also tend to dislike it when a movie with no necessity needed, influences the comics and yeah, readers saw the recton from Marvel as pettiness because fox had access to the characters and people in general just don't like pettiness.

    Wanda is better suited for Avengers. Which were her far better and more developed stories for now 57 years.
    I see this more as making the argument that I am better suited in a constrained place where I have no chance of growing and taking on more challenging feats or maybe a more similar case is Spiderman is better suited as an Avenger than the more self contained new York street level hero he is known for.

    Comics entirely are not good at dealing with mental struggles.
    Actually X-MEN comics will disagree and that is why I said, wanda would have been more suited there because many xmen characters do go through this issues, even the ones that are not telepaths like Rogue, Morph and Wolverine. Also it is after all, true that on x-men evolution, Xavier and us the audiences, we first meet Wanda in a mental institution.


    X-MEN evolution I would say is still tame compared to other stories we have seen on this topic in comics. Saying comics are not entirely good with mental struggles is to be ignorant of many stories that range from X-Men and Batman in a big way, because you know he has that Arkham Asylum hospital and prison thing in Gotham, that has become a big lore in the batman universe, to the point it had its own successful strings of well acclaimed video games.

    Marvel right now not been able to tackle mental struggles beyond the confines of what we saw on Disney plus, does not mean comics have not been good at it, because they have.
    Last edited by Castle; 10-14-2021 at 02:40 PM.

  3. #4593
    Astonishing Member Castle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Posts
    2,711

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    They haven't really interacted much in the movies. All Strange would probably know about Wanda now is Westview, assuming they finally explain why he was an utter no-show.

    I can see the Fraction run here.

    I mean, that's kind of what it comes down to for writers...

    Or a more overt one.
    I never read Fraction run, so I cannot give opinions based on that compared to the trailer. the only obvious opinion from the trailer is that it has all the marvel style of film making as well as the quipping, which is becoming ironic since if we were to look at it from Avengers 2012 film, both Hawkeye and Thor were the least comedic characters. Marvel may want that now for them but they don't need it and there is a difference between want and need
    Last edited by Castle; 10-14-2021 at 02:40 PM.

  4. #4594
    Moderator Frontier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    75,308

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GenericUsername View Post
    Well they had a first interaction in comics as well. Everything starts somewhere.
    True, just in the case of things as they stand in the MCU I can see it starting off a little testy.

  5. #4595
    Fantastic Member Writerblog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2021
    Posts
    405

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Castle View Post
    House of M is still her defining story line. fans are free to have a love, likeness of hatred of the story but that is the story wanda has come to be known for. Wanda was not even all that much of an important relevant used character in marvel comics before house of m, remove wanda in movies, she was far better known in comics as magneto's daughter than an Avenger and in a way still is because what people seem to want most in the MCU is Wanda meeting Magneto.

    Secondly they had a hard time convincing people on the retcon because not only do people find it more compelling to accept a more science fiction grounded explanation like genetic mutation of the human cells that gives people power compared to hoccas poccas magic when the character is more comic book superhero based than fantasy based. comic readers also tend to dislike it when a movie with no necessity needed, influences the comics and yeah, readers saw the recton from Marvel as pettiness because fox had access to the characters and people in general just don't like pettiness.



    I see this more as making the argument that I am better suited in a constrained place where I have no chance of growing and taking on more challenging feats or maybe a more similar case is Spiderman is better suited as an Avenger than the more self contained new York street level hero he is known for.



    Actually X-MEN comics will disagree and that is why I said, wanda would have been more suited there because many xmen characters do go through this issues, even the ones that are not telepaths like Rogue, Morph and Wolverine. Also it is after all, true that on x-men evolution, Xavier and us the audiences, we first meet Wanda in a mental institution.


    X-MEN evolution I would say is still tame compared to other stories we have seen on this topic in comics. Saying comics are not entirely good with mental struggles is to be ignorant of many stories that range from X-Men and Batman in a big way, because you know he has that Arkham Asylum hospital and prison thing in Gotham, that has become a big lore in the batman universe, to the point it had its own successful strings of well acclaimed video games.

    Marvel right now not been able to tackle mental struggles beyond the confines of what we saw on Disney plus, does not mean comics have not been good at it, because they have.
    Comics mostly have been awful dealing with Mental health. Disney + doesn't mean it have to be awful, it has nothing to do with a R rating

  6. #4596

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Castle View Post
    House of M is still her defining story line. fans are free to have a love, likeness of hatred of the story but that is the story wanda has come to be known for. Wanda was not even all that much of an important relevant used character in marvel comics before house of m, remove wanda in movies, she was far better known in comics as magneto's daughter than an Avenger and in a way still is because what people seem to want most in the MCU is Wanda meeting Magneto.

    Secondly they had a hard time convincing people on the retcon because not only do people find it more compelling to accept a more science fiction grounded explanation like genetic mutation of the human cells that gives people power compared to hoccas poccas magic when the character is more comic book superhero based than fantasy based. comic readers also tend to dislike it when a movie with no necessity needed, influences the comics and yeah, readers saw the recton from Marvel as pettiness because fox had access to the characters and people in general just don't like pettiness.



    I see this more as making the argument that I am better suited in a constrained place where I have no chance of growing and taking on more challenging feats or maybe a more similar case is Spiderman is better suited as an Avenger than the more self contained new York street level hero he is known for.



    Actually X-MEN comics will disagree and that is why I said, wanda would have been more suited there because many xmen characters do go through this issues, even the ones that are not telepaths like Rogue, Morph and Wolverine. Also it is after all, true that on x-men evolution, Xavier and us the audiences, we first meet Wanda in a mental institution.


    X-MEN evolution I would say is still tame compared to other stories we have seen on this topic in comics. Saying comics are not entirely good with mental struggles is to be ignorant of many stories that range from X-Men and Batman in a big way, because you know he has that Arkham Asylum hospital and prison thing in Gotham, that has become a big lore in the batman universe, to the point it had its own successful strings of well acclaimed video games.

    Marvel right now not been able to tackle mental struggles beyond the confines of what we saw on Disney plus, does not mean comics have not been good at it, because they have.
    And it became known for the reason I stated. Same way click bait videos are also popular. It's definitely not quality.

    Her current retcon also has science involved....

    Wanda had plenty of growth within the Avengers, which is why her real defining stories are there. Ones that advanced her character. Not possessed her and left her as a vegetable.

    Comics nor cartoons got mental illness right. The fact you think it's even close is weird.
    Love is for souls, not bodies.

  7. #4597

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Writerblog View Post
    Comics mostly have been awful dealing with Mental health. Disney + doesn't mean it have to be awful, it has nothing to do with a R rating
    It's almost gaslighting the way this person keeps stating falsehoods as fact.
    Love is for souls, not bodies.

  8. #4598
    Ultimate Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2021
    Posts
    11,139

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GenericUsername View Post
    And it became known for the reason I stated. Same way click bait videos are also popular. It's definitely not quality.

    Her current retcon also has science involved....

    Wanda had plenty of growth within the Avengers, which is why her real defining stories are there. Ones that advanced her character. Not possessed her and left her as a vegetable.

    Comics nor cartoons got mental illness right. The fact you think it's even close is weird.
    And being the most well known story doesn't make it the best.

  9. #4599
    Astonishing Member Castle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Posts
    2,711

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Writerblog View Post
    Comics mostly have been awful dealing with Mental health. Disney + doesn't mean it have to be awful, it has nothing to do with a R rating
    Maybe comics now? good thing I am no longer a devout faithful daily reader since like 5 years ago but I still have the 30-40 years read and my collection to know they have been good at it.

    You are right that Disney + does not make it awful, I think that should be taking more up with GenericUsername who said these stories have not been good. Wandavision compared to what disney has now was actually not that bad, I enjoyed many aspect for a Disney show, however had it not been a Disney show, and maybe more like a neflix, hbo, FX or Hulu show or even good WB shows like Buffy, which was still more of a teen show on a teen network, I think there would have been more room to push the envelope even more on the topic of mental struggles.

    Its funny because anytime I think of Wandavsion, It takes me to some Buffy Episodes like Normal Again or Superstar where Jonathan also wrapped reality to fit his own narrative, Wandavsion was like a very tame story of something like that. does not make it bad, but it makes you wanting more because you have seen how other shows did the same concept.
    Last edited by Castle; 10-14-2021 at 03:11 PM.

  10. #4600

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CosmiComic View Post
    And being the most well known story doesn't make it the best.
    Exactly. If it did the most profitable movies would always be award winning. They are usually just popcorn romps.
    Love is for souls, not bodies.

  11. #4601

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Castle View Post
    Maybe comics now? good thing I am no longer a devout faithful dailu reader since like 5 years ago but I still have the 40 years read and my collection to know they have been good at it.

    Also yes, Disney + does not make it awful, I think that should be taking more up with GenericUsername who said these stories have not been good. Wandavision compared to what disney has now was actually not that bad, I enjoyed many aspect for a Disney show, however had it not been a Disney show, and maybe more like a neflix, hbo, FX or Hulu show or even good WB shows like Buffy, which was still more of a teen network, I think there would have been more room to push the envelope even more had Wandavision not been a Disney plus show.

    Its funny because anytime I think of Wandavsion, It takes me to some Buffy Episodes like Normal Again, Wandavsion was like a very tame story of something like that. does not make it bad, but it makes you wanting more.
    I didn't say WandaVision was bad. I said the MCU started out giving her the wrong powers. The show has issues, but it's not terrible. I didn't particularly care how depression was depicted as selfish in the commercials. But those might have been depictions of Wanda's self-conscience.
    Love is for souls, not bodies.

  12. #4602
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    4,231

    Default

    The Marvel's Director Says Marvel Studios Isn't Controlling of Directors

  13. #4603
    Ultimate Member Ascended's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    16,999

    Default

    Marvel has always given its directors a lot of leeway, reportedly. Still, it's good to hear that there's a minimum amount of interference in the filming.

    Hawkeye trailer looks fun, but doesn't really tell us much we didn't already know from the first one. The quick scene with Clint's wife seems to put to bed the theory that they've separated. Otherwise it seems much like the first trailer. I'm down, I've been really looking forward to this show.

    Has everyone heard that Kit Harrington won't be swinging the ebony blade in Eternals? Apparently he'll be suiting up somewhere down the line, but in his debut he won't yet be the Black Knight. Just, you know, letting folk know so y'all can reign in your expectations.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

    ~ Black Panther.

  14. #4604
    Moderator Frontier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    75,308

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Marvel has always given its directors a lot of leeway, reportedly. Still, it's good to hear that there's a minimum amount of interference in the filming.

    Hawkeye trailer looks fun, but doesn't really tell us much we didn't already know from the first one. The quick scene with Clint's wife seems to put to bed the theory that they've separated. Otherwise it seems much like the first trailer. I'm down, I've been really looking forward to this show.

    Has everyone heard that Kit Harrington won't be swinging the ebony blade in Eternals? Apparently he'll be suiting up somewhere down the line, but in his debut he won't yet be the Black Knight. Just, you know, letting folk know so y'all can reign in your expectations.
    I wasn't expecting him to suit up since it's not his movie but I'm curious how much they'll set up Black Knight.

  15. #4605
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Posts
    2,830

    Default


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •