Quote Originally Posted by chicago_bastard View Post
Maybe the Russos were trying to resolve it after the fact but it's also possible that they realized during shooting that McFeely/Markus have written nonsense and thus deviated from the script. In my opinion McFeely/Markus are average screenwriters at best and it's known that the Russos changed many things from their script for The Winter Soldier during shooting, so I assume that was the case in later movies, too. I even read somewhere that the time travel rules were different in the original Endgame script and were changed by the Russos. So McFeely/Markus obviously wanted to go with the Back To The Future approach and didn't really get what the Russos went for in the finished movie, which would explain their clueless statements.

Also director's word trumps writer's word as the director is the one who decides how the finished movie looks like, at least as long as the studio bosses or producers don't interfere.
McFeely/Markus seem to believe that removing Infinity Stones is what causes the timeline to splinter and Steve not having Infinity Stones leads to the BTF rules.

Anyway, the Russos have made it clear that any time travel, regardless of whether you remove Infinity Stones will cause an alternate timelines. Also, we just finished Loki's show and we saw alternate timelines being created without Infinity Stones. That should have put a nail in the 'Steve was always Peggy's husband' theories.