Page 771 of 775 FirstFirst ... 271671721761767768769770771772773774775 LastLast
Results 11,551 to 11,565 of 11620
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by gurkle View Post
    They can't just decide someone is going to be their flagship character. Or they can, but sometimes it doesn't work out (see: The Marvels). T'Challa was going to be a flagship character going forward because audiences loved Boseman as T'Challa, to an extent that doesn't often happen, and it seemed like with the success of Black Panther, T'Challa was going to fill the hole left by Downey stepping down as Iron Man. Losing him was terrible luck for the MCU (worse for the man and his loved ones, of course), and there was a huge hole to fill. Recasting the part might not have filled the hole, but some people think it was worth trying while others don't.
    The idea they can't decide who their flagship characters are is just not true, the decision to have Captain America and Iron Man be the faces of the MCU was something done before the movies even hit theaters.

Same with Chadwick Boseman as Black Panther, it was something very clearly decided before that movie had proved to be a success, it's why a large portion of Infinity War took place in Wakanda.

Also frankly using the Marvels doesn't really mean anything, when we look at all thr circumstances surrounding the movie, and look at the fact the first Captain Marvel was a huge success.

Quote Originally Posted by 80sbaby View Post
    Because the fanbase hasn't gotten behind Letitia Wright's portrayal the way they did Boseman's. She doesn't have that presence and it's not even in the character's wheelhouse, really.

Reed could be, sure. But we are talking about what's happening now.
    A couple of years ago people would've said being the central character in a huge movie franchise isn't in Iron Man's wheelhouse but that clearly changed.
    And if we're talking about what's happening now is that Shuri is the current Black Panther so....

Exactly this. The character worked for the audience as a whole, casuals and die hard comic fans alike. Shuri isn't that.
    Last I remember Wakanda Forever was a great success but I guess I was mistaken about all the praise it received, and how well it did at the box office.

Wakanda Forever was a success but you're being disingenuous if you're saying Leticia Wright and Shuri have anywhere near the same buzz as T'Challa did.

Quote Originally Posted by PhantomBoom View Post
    The idea they can't decide who their flagship characters are is just not true, the decision to have Captain America and Iron Man be the faces of the MCU was something done before the movies even hit theaters.

Same with Chadwick Boseman as Black Panther, it was something very clearly decided before that movie had proved to be a success, it's why a large portion of Infinity War took place in Wakanda.

Also frankly using the Marvels doesn't really mean anything, when we look at all thr circumstances surrounding the movie, and look at the fact the first Captain Marvel was a huge success.
    I don't think it was decided so much as just a result of their films' success and Avengers.

I think you can tell from some of the usage of the characters in Infinity War that Marvel wasn't quite prepared for just how big of a hit the first BP was going to be.

The first CM was a success but they couldn't seem to replicate that, for one reason or another, with The Marvels and maybe shot themselves in the foot in terms of putting Carol out there.
    Because the fanbase hasn't gotten behind Letitia Wright's portrayal the way they did Boseman's. She doesn't have that presence and it's not even in the character's wheelhouse, really.

Reed could be, sure. But we are talking about what's happening now.
    That's why they leaned even harder into the supporting cast for that movie.

Correct. It's also why Chadwick was featured so prominently in Endgame. The theatre went crazy when he showed up as the first real face we see. They knew exactly how audiences felt.

I'd also point out that Tony and Steve were so successful because of their actors. RDJ and Evans elevated those characters as Boseman did with T'Challa. They should've capitalized on that but I completely understand that the decision was an emotional one.

Ultimate Member

Wakanda Forever was a success but you're being disingenuous if you're saying Leticia Wright and Shuri have anywhere near the same buzz as T'Challa did.
    Well it looks like Marvel is trying that with their promotion with Coke.

We get a Black Panther coke can but it's Shuri.

Meanwhile both Spider-Men are left out.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Panic View Post
    They took a character specifically created to be a hero to a particular demographic (who are under-represented in this area),
    In the way past,but not anymore.

Superhero Diversity: Improving Diversity in Comic Books
    Diversity in Comic Books: Why Did it Take So Long?
    Many people want to cancel comic books due to a lack of inclusivity of diverse superheroes. The issue isn't necessarily diversity, but rather, how diversity has been portrayed with comic book characters. Only recently, diversity has been represented as a more accurate representation of the population; however, this raises the question, "why did it take so long"?
    https://www.qualitycomix.com/learn/s...in-comic-books

In fact for example blacks are overrepresented in marvel comics,east asians are represented around the same level of the u.s. population and latinos are under represented,but poc latinos are not.

Some more talk about it here.

THREAD: IT'S STRANGE TO ME THAT THE MARVEL UNIVERSE HAS NO SUPERHEROS OF INDIAN ORIGIN.
    https://community.cbr.com/showthread...n-origin/page5
    https://community.cbr.com/showthread...n-origin/page6

and i posted some views on latinos here.
    THREAD: ARE ALL OF MARVEL’S LATINO CHARACTERS BLACK?
    https://community.cbr.com/showthread...aracters-Black

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I don't think it was decided so much as just a result of their films' success and Avengers.

I think you can tell from some of the usage of the characters in Infinity War that Marvel wasn't quite prepared for just how big of a hit the first BP was going to be.

The first CM was a success but they couldn't seem to replicate that, for one reason or another, with The Marvels and maybe shot themselves in the foot in terms of putting Carol out there.

That's why they leaned even harder into the supporting cast for that movie.

If Marvel didn't expect Black Panther to be a hit they wouldn't have a large part of Infinity War take in Wakanda, and brought back most of the important characters to show up.

They clearly already had expectations for the character before the first Black Panther even released.

And the Marvels came out during an actor's strike that hampered promotion of three movie, plus now there's a sentiment among people to just wait until they hit streaming to watch movies, and for months had to deal with the stigma of people lying that you needed to watch all the Disney plus shows to understand it.

I don't recall saying that, I said she was successful, and why should they not try to build on that success?
    Correct. It's also why Chadwick was featured so prominently in Endgame. The theatre went crazy when he showed up as the first real face we see. They knew exactly how audiences felt.

I'd also point out that Tony and Steve were so successful because of their actors. RDJ and Evans elevated those characters as Boseman did with T'Challa. They should've capitalized on that but I completely understand that the decision was an emotional one.
    First T'Challa was not anymore prominent in Endgame than any of the other characters who were snapped, that moment was primarily to show how the heroes Thanos previously snapped are back.

Second, how were they supposed capitalize on Boseman elevating the character?
    The man died.

Um, he was the first close up through the portal, so yes he said more prominent. Hell, just go on YouTube and look at the reactions to that scene and you'll see how the audience erupted when he showed up.

Second, the character was still elevated and a recast would've generated buzz. It's no different than I'd they brought back Tony or Steve using a different actor. People are going to be more interested now than because they want to compare it to RDJ and Evans and the characters are super popular thanks to them.

BANNED

Um, he was the first close up through the portal, so yes he said more prominent. Hell, just go on YouTube and look at the reactions to that scene and you'll see how the audience erupted when he showed up.

Second, the character was still elevated and a recast would've generated buzz. It's no different than I'd they brought back Tony or Steve using a different actor. People are going to be more interested now than because they want to compare it to RDJ and Evans and the characters are super popular thanks to them.
    That's not being prominent, being prominent is having a significant amount of screentime and focus, not being the first guy who's face is closed in on, because he doesn't do or have a bigger role than any of the other characters who got snapped and brought back.

The characters were elevated because it was those specific actors playing them, if Marvel went ahead and brought back Tony and Steve without RDJ or Chris Evans people would hate it, because it was their performances that made people care about those characters and defined them
    Unless they did a full continuity reboot, people wouldn't except having Steve and Tony back without them.

At this point we may as well just agree to disagree.

I would love it if Ernie Hudson were to play Joe Robertson, and put him in several films and TV projects at Marvel.

https://www.cbr.com/ghostbusters-ern...ight-role-mcu/

Ernie Hudson Wants a Major MCU Role
    "When I look back at things, I think about my grandkids and great-grandkids, and I think, you know, those are movies they're gonna watch for a long time," Hudson continued. "But, yeah, no, I just would love to work. A lot of the work I get offered is things that people say, well, you know, we love your work, we want you to be in it. But we only need you for a day or two, and I'm like, it shouldn't work in a day or two. I'm looking for a role. I'm looking for something that and I want to, you know, romantic comedy where I get the girl or the guy or whatever. I want to work while I'm physically able and mentally capable of bringing them my best work. So that's what I'm looking for. Just to get another credit for a couple of dollars, it's really not that motivating for me. I'm good that way. So I'm looking for that, a reason to leave home."

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    I would love it if Ernie Hudson were to play Joe Robertson, and put him in several films and TV projects at Marvel.

I'm sure he'd be great as Joe, but looking at what he says I think he wants a bigger role than that. Moses Magnum? Blue Marvel? I'm honestly not sure how fit he is to play a more physical role these days (I've not seen the new Quantum Leap), but it sounds like he wants something major.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post

I'm sure he'd be great as Joe, but looking at what he says I think he wants a bigger role than that. Moses Magnum? Blue Marvel? I'm honestly not sure how fit he is to play a more physical role these days (I've not seen the new Quantum Leap), but it sounds like he wants something major.
    Fair to say that Mr. Hudson is doing better than FINE in the physical arena. Aging very well and taking great care of his physical health. Not sure if I see him as Blue Marvel, but there's got to be a Super Daddy role that's fit for him...
    Protected by the Comics Code Authority
    YES Capes. YES Masks. YES Secret Identities.

He actually played Robbie in one episode of the 2017 Spider-Man cartoon.
    He'd be awesome as Blue Marvel !

Ultimate Member

Remember Black Panther and the Endgame were all filming at the same time.

NOBODY expected Black Panther to do what it did. They were expecting Antman numbers.

Now depending on who you ask the directors have implied if they had waited to start filming Endgame after Panther fully came out-some things might have changed.

Remember Shuri being MIA in Endgame and Okie not on movie poster trended on Twitter for a good long time.

Nobody knew Boseman had cancer and Marvel did have plans for Panther after Endgame. A lot of that got scrapped with Wakanda Forever. That is why folks were saying don't kill him off.