Page 310 of 773 FirstFirst ... 210260300306307308309310311312313314320360410 ... LastLast
Results 4,636 to 4,650 of 11593
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by GenericUsername View Post
    Other people having common powers doesn't mean Wanda needs one too.

Chaos magic is the source for her hexes, hex spheres, reality warping, etc. It's all under that umbrella, it's not unclear. It is varied. And yes, adding another power makes that worse. I'm ok with nightmare powers being a very minor thing. But her primary powers should be true to her actual powers in comics.

And yes, telepathy in comics is overused. How? It's a power a lot of characters have!
    But what exactly is reality warping and hexes? Forgive my ignorance, but it never seems to have a concrete definition. I know she originally just made things 'happen', but I'm not sure what her powers exactly are now.

And telepathy isn't nearly as overused as a lot of powers.

Quote Originally Posted by CosmiComic View Post
    But what exactly is reality warping and hexes? Forgive my ignorance, but it never seems to have a concrete definition. I know she originally just made things 'happen', but I'm not sure what her powers exactly are now.

And telepathy isn't nearly as overused as a lot of powers.
    Reality warping is changing reality. Pretty straight forward.

There are like over a dozen x-related characters that have telepathy alone, lol.
    Love is for souls, not bodies.

Ultimate Member

Reality warping is changing reality. Pretty straight forward.

There are like over a dozen x-related characters that have telepathy alone, lol.
    Yeah, but changing reality is a big thing. What exactly does it entail? Because it seems different writers do different things with her. And it's still only one power

And as I pointed out, X-Men having telepathy doesn't necessarily matter in this context because they share few members. I mean, there's a thousand generic flying bricks out there but somehow telepathy is too overused?

Yeah, but changing reality is a big thing. What exactly does it entail? Because it seems different writers do different things with her. And it's still only one power

And as I pointed out, X-Men having telepathy doesn't necessarily matter in this context because they share few members. I mean, there's a thousand generic flying bricks out there but somehow telepathy is too overused?
    Reality warping is only part of what is under chaos magic. And I don't know how to explain it easier. Your reality is one way, they change it to something else. You see a building, it becomes a chair. Things like that.

Yes, telepathy is too overused:

X-Characters

Xavier
    Jean Grey
    Psylocke
    Emma Frost
    Apocalpse
    Quentin Quire
    Legion
    Cable
    Stepford Cuckoos
    Mister Sinister
    Rachel Summers
    X-Man
    Madelyne Pryor
    Azazel
    Mastermind
    Lady Mastermind
    Genesis
    Monet St. Croix
    Chamber
    Blindfold
    Nocturne
    Lilandra
    Negasonic Teenage Warhead
    Dead Girl
    Xorn
    Prodigy
    Living Monolith

Non-X-characters

Black Mamba
    Julia Carpenter
    Charlotte Witter
    Mattie Franklin
    Cosmo
    Doctor Druid
    Arnim Zola
    Patsy Walker
    Uatu
    Thanos
    Thena
    Supreme Intelligence
    Sprite
    Shiklah
    Sersi
    Sentry
    Franklin Richards
    Wiccan
    Purple Man
    Psynapse
    Lizard
    Leader
    Lady Gorgon
    Mantis
    Moondragon
    High Evolutionary
    Namor
    Hela
    Dracula
    Maximus the Mad

Just to be clear, you want Wanda, the only one that possesses Chaos Magic naturally to be in with all those characters. Because there are also a lot of characters with superhuman strength or intelligence? That is cookie cutter. And sorry it's way too boring for me.

Ultimate Member

Reality warping is only part of what is under chaos magic. And I don't know how to explain it easier. Your reality is one way, they change it to something else. You see a building, it becomes a chair. Things like that.

Yes, telepathy is too overused:

X-Characters

Xavier
    Jean Grey
    Psylocke
    Emma Frost
    Apocalpse
    Quentin Quire
    Legion
    Cable
    Stepford Cuckoos
    Mister Sinister
    Rachel Summers
    X-Man
    Madelyne Pryor
    Azazel
    Mastermind
    Lady Mastermind
    Genesis
    Monet St. Croix
    Chamber
    Blindfold
    Nocturne
    Lilandra
    Negasonic Teenage Warhead
    Dead Girl
    Xorn
    Prodigy
    Living Monolith

Non-X-characters

Black Mamba
    Julia Carpenter
    Charlotte Witter
    Mattie Franklin
    Cosmo
    Doctor Druid
    Arnim Zola
    Patsy Walker
    Uatu
    Thanos
    Thena
    Supreme Intelligence
    Sprite
    Shiklah
    Sersi
    Sentry
    Franklin Richards
    Wiccan
    Purple Man
    Psynapse
    Lizard
    Leader
    Lady Gorgon
    Mantis
    Moondragon
    High Evolutionary
    Namor
    Hela
    Dracula
    Maximus the Mad

Just to be clear, you want Wanda, the only one that possesses Chaos Magic naturally to be in with all those characters. Because there are also a lot of characters with superhuman strength or intelligence? That is cookie cutter. And sorry it's way too boring for me.
    I guess we'll agree to disagree. I never said she shouldn't have chaos magic. Just that an extra power isn't bad. IMO it's not just having the same powers, but having different power combinations. Both Iron Man and Vision have flight and enhanced strength yet aren't the exact same. But you seem to have taken a reductive approach to telepathy. You act like I want her to be generic when that's the opposite of what I'm saying

As for reality warping, can she use that to transform herself? What's the difference between that and what Skrulls can do?

I guess we'll agree to disagree. I never said she shouldn't have chaos magic. Just that an extra power isn't bad. IMO it's not just having the same powers, but having different power combinations. Both Iron Man and Vision have flight and enhanced strength yet aren't the exact same. But you seem to have taken a reductive approach to telepathy. You act like I want her to be generic when that's the opposite of what I'm saying

As for reality warping, can she use that to transform herself? What's the difference between that and what Skrulls can do?
    She has various abilities under chaos magic already. I'm saying comics are too flooded with telepathy and I prefer her to be unique.

No, that's shapeshifting. But there was a spell that kept her young in her solo. I don't think they kept that as a thing though.

Chaos magic is an interesting power set. Whatever Wanda touches, it goes wrong; bulbs explode, guns backfire, she could make the Iron Man suit short circuit or cause Cap's shield to fly off in the wrong direction, etc.

And sometimes she can make things go 'right' in her favor. Hence why it's more like probability altering than just 'hexing'.

Whedon gave her mind control abilities in addition to that since I guess her powers were amped by the mind stone in the MCU but instead of focusing on what makes her unique, he wrote her more like a discount Jean Grey. In the comics, Wanda is like the 'secret weapon' that can take down Ultron, in the movie, him ripping his heart out felt more like an afterthought. It took CW, IW, EG and mostly (and by mostly I mean 90%) WV to really make her feel like her own standalone character.

Ultimate Member

She has various abilities under chaos magic already. I'm saying comics are too flooded with telepathy and I prefer her to be unique.

No, that's shapeshifting. But there was a spell that kept her young in her solo. I don't think they kept that as a thing though.
    Comics aren't flooded with telepathy any more than any other power. Probably less so. It doesn't make her less unique.

And how exactly does it not count as shapeshifting if one thing becomes another?

Comics in general but Marvel and especially anything connected to the X-Men is. Seriously, telepathy is overused and overrated and it's a power you have to consistently write around otherwise the story ends in 5 minutes.

The last thing Wanda needs is more powers.

Shapeshifting usually involves changing the make up of your body to resemble something else. Reality warping tends to be alter people, objects and even entire timelines and history. Mystique altering her the molecular make up of her body to look like someone else is different from a powerful reality warper altering history so you were born a female instead of a male or you grew up admiring the Stones instead of the Beatles.

I think the main reason Whedon made Wanda a psychic instead of a mage is because back in 2015 Marvel was still kind of hesitant to dive into the mystical side of comics. They wrote Thor and the Asgardians as "powerful aliens" instead of gods, for example.

Even when Dr. Strange came out (2018?) they were really iffy about how they wanted to present the concept of magic. Remember the Ancient One describing magic as a "program" because "spell" might offend Strange's modern sensibility? That line was aimed at an audience Marvel wasn't sure would accept the premise of Harry Potter-esque magic in the MCU.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Comics aren't flooded with telepathy any more than any other power. Probably less so. It doesn't make her less unique.

And how exactly does it not count as shapeshifting if one thing becomes another?
    Yes it does make it less unique when I can literally post a page long list of characters that have it, lol.

Because she isn't changing herself into something else at will.

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    Chaos magic is an interesting power set. Whatever Wanda touches, it goes wrong; bulbs explode, guns backfire, she could make the Iron Man suit short circuit or cause Cap's shield to fly off in the wrong direction, etc.

And sometimes she can make things go 'right' in her favor. Hence why it's more like probability altering than just 'hexing'.

Whedon gave her mind control abilities in addition to that since I guess her powers were amped by the mind stone in the MCU but instead of focusing on what makes her unique, he wrote her more like a discount Jean Grey. In the comics, Wanda is like the 'secret weapon' that can take down Ultron, in the movie, him ripping his heart out felt more like an afterthought. It took CW, IW, EG and mostly (and by mostly I mean 90%) WV to really make her feel like her own standalone character.
    She doesn't have so much of the backfiring powers anymore since she learned to control her powers. Occasionally a writer will bring that back.

The mind stone did likely have a part to do with it. And also Whedon just didn't know much about Wanda.

Ultimate Member

Yes it does make it less unique when I can literally post a page long list of characters that have it, lol.

Because she isn't changing herself into something else at will.
    Agree to disagree.

I guess it's not exactly like shape shifting, but if she can change objects like that, why can't she change things in other ways?

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    Comics in general but Marvel and especially anything connected to the X-Men is. Seriously, telepathy is overused and overrated and it's a power you have to consistently write around otherwise the story ends in 5 minutes.

The last thing Wanda needs is more powers.

Shapeshifting usually involves changing the make up of your body to resemble something else. Reality warping tends to be alter people, objects and even entire timelines and history. Mystique altering her the molecular make up of her body to look like someone else is different from a powerful reality warper altering history so you were born a female instead of a male or you grew up admiring the Stones instead of the Beatles.
    I don't get why everyone's bashing telepathy here. The most overused power is super strength or flight. It can be done correctly, if writers were consistent. I mean, you could say the same about reality manipulation

Agree to disagree.

I guess it's not exactly like shape shifting, but if she can change objects like that, why can't she change things in other ways?
    Her reality warping has limits unless she taps into a stronger power (The Twilight Sword, Simon's Ionic powers, the Life Force). Magic changes things on a smaller scale usually. Even Eldritch magic does. Doctor Strange is full of reality bending stuff. It's not the same as shapeshifters who are limited to changing themselves but can do so at will without a spell or a stronger power.