Page 455 of 760 FirstFirst ... 355405445451452453454455456457458459465505555 ... LastLast
Results 6,811 to 6,825 of 11387
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Galerion View Post
    Fun trivia but that would make it the first superhero movie ever to actually end up in the 900m range. Either way the movie is banned in a few countries including China and still heavily outgrosses the first Strange movie and even makes more than something like Thor: Ragnarok which is considered by many to be the by far best Thor movie.

As for the OG Wanda stans comment. Well Im not one myself and Im happy that Marvel has taken this character and has made her as popular as she is nowadays. Her MCU journey has been very entertaining and it's far from over.
    More like they milked and nuked her character for what she is worth and didn't care much about her future.

Astonishing Member

Fun trivia but that would make it the first superhero movie ever to actually end up in the 900m range. Either way the movie is banned in a few countries including China and still heavily outgrosses the first Strange movie and even makes more than something like Thor: Ragnarok which is considered by many to be the by far best Thor movie.

As for the OG Wanda stans comment. Well Im not one myself and Im happy that Marvel has taken this character and has made her as popular as she is nowadays. Her MCU journey has been very entertaining and it's far from over.

Its doing really well overseas. Its passing a bunch of CBMs in international box office which had really big China and Russia numbers. I posted on the box office thing that is going to pass GOTG 2 overseas and that thing made 90 million in China. And another 30 million in Russia. I would say what its doing overseas is nothing short of really really good.

Quote Originally Posted by Witchfan View Post
    Ms. Marvel is coming on June 8. This show will struggle for attention with Star Trek: Strange New Worlds on Paramount Plus, Obi-Wan Kenobi on Disney Plus, and Season 3 of The Boys on Amazon Prime. I would rather watch those three shows than watch Ms. Marvel.
    From what I have seen so far Ms. Marvel targets a certain audience that probably has not much interest in the other shows that you have mentioned. So I expect it to be a hit with that audience at least. For the more general audience though I agree.
    "This is me being reasonable"

Incredible Member PlatinumThorns's Avatar

Ms. Marvel is coming on June 8. This show will struggle for attention with Star Trek: Strange New Worlds on Paramount Plus, Obi-Wan Kenobi on Disney Plus, and Season 3 of The Boys on Amazon Prime. I would rather watch those three shows than watch Ms. Marvel.
    We'll see who watches what when it's all said and done.

I don't think even the actual people of the MCU expected Wanda to take off as much as she has otherwise they probably wouldn't have used her the way they did in MoM (which seems like it's working for her somehow in-spite of the messy writings and Feige's razor-focus on doing Bendis Wanda storylines purely because of Elizabeth Olsen and the popularity of WandaVision).

I don’t get Disney releasing Ms. Marvel when they still have Obi-Wan going on. They know Star Wars and Marvel are there biggest draws for original shows so why create self-competition.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I don't think even the actual people of the MCU expected Wanda to take off as much as she has otherwise they probably wouldn't have used her the way they did in MoM (which seems like it's working for her somehow in-spite of the messy writings and Feige's razor-focus on doing Bendis Wanda storylines purely because of Elizabeth Olsen and the popularity of WandaVision).
    I don't get this thinking. Magneto is one of the most beloved parts of the X-franchise and even comics as a whole and he is that way because he is a flawed person who has the ability to do good but also do something bad. That is what makes him so a good character. Everybody messes up in their life and makes the wrong decisions. How you deal with that and how you can make up for it now that is an interesting story to tell. Not everybody can or should be like Captain America. As a matter of fact most people in the MCU are not. Pretty much everybody has skeletons in their closet.

Wanda has immense potential to do good but also do bad. This has been shown basically since her introduction and now there are digging deeper into it now that she is fully aware of who she is and what she is really capable of doing.
    Last edited by Galerion; 05-22-2022 at 12:13 PM.

I don't get this thinking. Magneto is one of the most beloved parts of the X-franchise and even comics as a whole and he is that way because he is a flawed person who has the ability to do good but also do something bad. That is what makes him so a good character. Everybody messes up in their life and makes the wrong decisions. How you deal with that and how you can make up for it now that is an interesting story to tell. Not everybody can or should be like Captain America. As a matter of fact most people in the MCU are not. Pretty much everybody has skeletons in their closet.

Wanda has immense potential to do good but also do bad. This has been shown basically since her introduction and now there are digging deeper into it now that she is aware of who she is and what she is really capable of doing.
    Magneto at least has the benefit of being developed into a more morally complex character as comics evolved.

Meanwhile Wanda shifts from emotional and moral extremes partially because of bad writing in a comic book.

But honestly I think your point is more a defense of Westview in WandaVision than Wanda's actions in MoM.

Yeah hack writing doesn't compare. It's silly. The events that had Wanda become bad didn't even really include her. She wasn't in AD until the very end. And was in a coma and wallpaper in HoM.

Her best moment recently was finally getting an upper hand over Chthon. Because it's like she's breaking free of that constant threat of being controlled and losing agency yet again. But I know it's only a matter of time before a writer reverts that and it's played up as empowerment because she's so powerful.

The whole, Wanda was always shifting from bad to good thing even in comics annoys me because it's A. not really true, and B. is missing a lot of context. Especially why it ended up so bad for her and why she's now missing from comics frequently. People not seeing the forest for the trees of what is repeating itself is crazy.

I also don't think you can ever compare Waldron's flat, single faceted characters to Claremont's well rounded, developed ones ever. It's just not even close.
    Last edited by GenericUsername; 05-22-2022 at 12:39 PM.
    Love is for souls, not bodies.

Extraordinary Member

If they wanted her to be a Magneto type of villain then they would have done the story the tag scene of "WandaVision" sets up, where she thinks her children are in danger and will do anything to get the power to travel the multiverse and rescue them.

In the story they went with, they pretend the children from WandaVision were "not real" and she has this obviously terrible plan to find a couple of copies of her children, and she gives up as soon as she realizes that none of the variant kids would actually be her kids.

(Which is a cop out too, because the cartoonishly evil Wanda we've seen so far in the movie would not care if they were afraid of her. She'd just brainwash them into liking her, or take America's powers and then go searching for some version of her kids who would like her. She just goes evil for no good reason and stops being evil for no good reason.)

Since the character we see in MoM can't possibly be Wanda -- for one thing, she no longer cares about Vision -- she can't be a good villain, because her goals are so out of character and make no sense. If she actually believed in what she was doing, like Magneto does, she'd be frightening, but she's just campy, like the movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Magneto at least has the benefit of being developed into a more morally complex character as comics evolved.

Meanwhile Wanda shifts from emotional and moral extremes partially because of bad writing in a comic book.

But honestly I think your point is more a defense of Westview in WandaVision than Wanda's actions in MoM.
    I mean the events of WV directly lead to MoM. Before WV she was woman plagued with tragedy and with powers she didn't quite understood herself. At the end of WV she finds out she is a being of myth who can actively doing something about the tragedies that befell her life. Most people just have to accept the cards they have been dealt while Wanda found out she has more agency in it.

Even her theme as she transforms into the Scarlet Witch is not one of a shining hero. It actually has some darker/villainous elements in it too. In case it wasn't clear enough.

She obviously took the darker turn but you need to fall to before you can stand up again. She has now learned that even with her powers at their peak she cannot simply reverse the tragedies in her life. She needs to move on even if its hard and it hurts and Im sure that's where her path will lead next.

I mean the events of WV directly lead to MoM.
    People keep claiming that but no they do not. You have Wanda that starts out being concerned about her children and then ends up wanting to kidnap someone else's kids. And sure you can gather that reading the book would possess her and turn her evil, but that journey is completely off screen. And goes from 0-1000.

Before WV she was woman plagued with tragedy and with powers she didn't quite understood herself. At the end of WV she finds out she is a being of myth who can actively doing something about the tragedies that befell her life. Most people just have to accept the cards they have been dealt while Wanda found out she has more agency in it.
    She had agency in WV. She doesn't in ITMoM.

Even her theme as she transforms into the Scarlet Witch is not one of a shining hero. It actually has some darker/villainous elements in it too. In case it wasn't clear enough.

She obviously took the darker turn but you need to fall to before you can stand up again. She has now learned that even with her powers at their peak she cannot simply reverse the tragedies in her life. She needs to move on even if its hard and it hurts and Im sure that's where her path will lead next.
    Going from gray to pitch black is not the genius character arc you paint it as. Because it's abrupt and without the details necessary to make it flow better and most of all make sense. Because it'd have made more sense if the Illuminati were the ones that had taken her kids to prevent incursions because their creation maybe messed with the timeline and have Wanda go after the Illuminati than what we got.

This forum by far is not the only ones calling out the terrible script here. Even the actors themselves have been making jokes about it. The biggest joke of all is trying to make people believe this was some natural progression instead of hacked regression. It just goes over WV again but with more psycho murderous tones. They should've given Jac a second season.
    Love is for souls, not bodies.

even makes more than something like Thor: Ragnarok which is considered by many to be the by far best Thor movie.
    Thor 3 gross 854 milllion

that is 1 billion due to inflation in todays money

just FTR

inflation percentages changes things wildly with numbers this big lol
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    Thor 3 gross 854 milllion

that is 1 billion due to inflation in todays money

just FTR

inflation percentages changes things wildly with numbers this big lol

Yea but remember Thor Made 112 million in China and 23 million in Russia. What Strange is doing without these markets is pretty amazing.