Page 545 of 776 FirstFirst ... 45445495535541542543544545546547548549555595645 ... LastLast
Results 8,161 to 8,175 of 11637

I'd say the length of time between the sequels is more evidence that they're playing on nostalgia. And the MCU does have endings. Cap and Ironman are done and have passed the torch. T'challa doesn't seem to be getting a recast either. Logan appearing in this doesn't mean he's going to be in future films.

Time actually works against recasts due to nostalgia.

And I think you're expectations need to be tempered since we not in the beginning anymore. However there are still new characters being introduced.

Quote Originally Posted by Tofali View Post
    We already knew Deadpool was getting a third movie and since we're in the Multiverse Saga right now a movie that continues or concludes an already existing X-Men universe doesn't seem that out of place or desperate because the Spidey Universe already did that.
    To me it just feels a bit "gimmicky". People were raving about TGM because folks wanted a less CGI-laden "back-to-basics" action adventure flick that folks grew up with (like Die Hard, True Lies, and Speed etc). Not everybody wants this multiversal, multidimensional, and magical universe(s) that the MCU is headed in. Bringing back characters using "multiverses" is the absolute definition of "gimmicky" to me. And multiversal movies/shows are ALWAYS inherently messy and confusing:

"Even a far better example of a journey into a multiverse, A24's Everything Everywhere All at Once (as opposed to the MoM), still had quite a huge stakes problem. It would really be much better if the MCU just stayed in one universe rather than indulging in further gimmicky, stakes-killing inter-dimensional travel."

Why can't we just stay in ONE universe and move FORWARD in that timeline like the first three phases (mostly) did? I thought it was very easy to follow and that linear (and streamlined) form of storytelling gained Marvel MILLIONS of fans all across the world. I don't want the MCU to turn into the Simpsons (whereas it still has a strong following and is relatively popular, but NOTHING like the cultural behemoth it once was).

Niffleheim

At this point I don't mind a forced and gimmicky X-Men Universe conclusion like the forced and gimmicky treatment the Spider-Man movies got in NWH.
    "Dedra Meero is not just a woman in a men’s world, but a fascist in a world of fascists.” - Denise Gough

Quote Originally Posted by 80sbaby View Post
    I'd say the length of time between the sequels is more evidence that they're playing on nostalgia. And the MCU does have endings. Cap and Ironman are done and have passed the torch. T'challa doesn't seem to be getting a recast either. Logan appearing in this doesn't mean he's going to be in future films.

And I think you're expectations need to be tempered since we not in the beginning anymore. However there are still new characters being introduced.
    If characters are recast quickly between films, it's not really "nostalgia" to me. It feels like Doctor Who or James Bond. Things ALWAYS happen that way. I HOPE Cap and Iron Man are done. But there's no guarantee there in my opinion. From what I understand, Hugh Jackman's career hasn't gone all that great since he quit playing Wolverine. I've heard the same things about Chris Evans and RDJ after they respectively retired playing Steve and Tony. The temptation for studios and these performers to make some money could be too tempting to pass up. I've been a longtime fan of the MCU, and even when folks criticized stuff from the first three Phases, I defended Marvel (I still like the Incredible Hulk, AoU, Iron Man 2, and even Thor 2). But I feel there's like so MUCH shit going on right now. It's sorta hard for me to follow, and I follow this shit pretty closely too.

And not for lack of vocal opinions for them to recast.

Extraordinary Member

But it's a bit hypocritical to see that as a negative for the MCU but then praise Cameron and Cruise who are doing an even more blatant form of riding the coattails of their previous successes. That's literally what a sequel is.
    Exactly.

Jackman returning won't diminish Logan. It still exists.
    I agree. I've never understood this argument, personally. Like, just because something new that you don't like is somehow connected to something previously that did, it doesn't mean that what you did like is magically going to cease to exist.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Quote Originally Posted by Albert1981 View Post
    Am I the only one here who thinks this is a pretty desperate move by Disney/Marvel to capitalize on the popularity of characters that previously appeared in Marvel properties? I feel Disney inserting SO many popular non-MCU Marvel characters in their newest content feels like they're trying to recapture past glory in their new shows/movies. Don't get me wrong, I like and am happy for Jackman (and I think he will do a great job), but I thought his Wolverine's journey was complete. And I imagine having him and Reynolds in the same picture DOESN'T COME CHEAP. We already know that Thor 4 cost SO MUCH money to make because Disney/Marvel had to give over buckets of cash to the actors/actresses playing the Guardians and the Greek Gods (which was totally unnecessary in my opinion). I distinctly remember Kingdom X and MindofShadow saying how "grating" it was that this phase has been full of non-MCU Marvel characters showing up as cameos. I had thought that after Phase Four concluded later this year, Marvel would discontinue that tendency. But it's actually probably gonna get worse. Any appearances by these characters are just short-term fixes. The chances of disappointment are HUGE. And the stuff about Blade worries me as well. I feel like I'm the ONLY one on these threads that thought that Marvel Studios was trying to ride on the coattails of the previously successful Blade movies to build up anticipation and hype for this new one. Would people be as excited for a new Blade flick if that wasn't the case? I think Mahershala Ali is a GREAT actor, and there's a good chance Disney's gonna SQUANDER his talents because Marvel Studios can't get their shit together.

I know James Cameron and Tom Cruise are somewhat controversial personalities in Hollywood, but I think they're definitely putting way more passion and care into the projects they're working on than Marvel Studios are these days. I feel the Avatar and Mission Impossible franchises are in great hands. MCU projects use to represent the best blockbusters Hollywood had to offer not that long ago, but I think 2022 has been absolutely MID for the franchise thus far. People are still talking and buzzing about TGM and EEAAO right NOW. People stopped giving two shits about Strange 2 and Thor 4 ten days after each of them were released! I'm REALLY hoping Wakanda Forever turns things around.
    Years ago, Ryan Reynolds said that Deadpool 3 was going to be road trip movie with Wade and Wolverine.

Extraordinary Member

Phase Four non-MCU Marvel cameos (in my opinion): Quicksilver, Kingpin, Professor X, Black Bolt, Daredevil, Venom, Garfield's Spider-Man, Maguire's Spider-Man, and (I'm not including the villains from NWH).
    Kingpin,black bolt,daredevil were mcu,just not marvel studios mcu and not main mcu.
    Kingpin and daredevil are now main mcu and new versions.
    Black Bolt is still alternate universe mcu but now under marvel studios and was a new version.

Deadpool being fan servicy weird is fine. Its Deadpool... kinda what he does. Go crazy with it.

If it was Hugh returning as Wolverine in a true Xmen movie, id be sad because they need to recast.

But deadpool? Who cares, go for it
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Quote Originally Posted by ComicNoobie View Post
    I'm happy for Hugh Jackman and Ryan Reynolds, and I'm sure they'll have great chemistry and make a great film. Is this something I wanted? To be honest, no. I've been checked out of the Fox X-Men universe for years. As great as Hugh's Wolverine/Logan character was, his over exposure is one of the things that killed my interest in the X-Men brand for years. That universe was "Wolverine with some X-Men" Then it became Mystique with some X-Men, it was a mess. So truthfully a part of me is a pretty bitter for petty reasons. But I'm hopeful when the MCU finally does get their X-Men out they will learn from the mistakes of Fox and deliver a true X-Men team with all their stories. I'm happy for everyone excited for this, and I enjoyed the last two Deadpool movies so I will watch this one with no bias, it's just not making me scream with nostalgia joy.
    Mystique was never the protagonist of any X-Men movie though.

Phase Four non-MCU Marvel cameos (in my opinion): Quicksilver, Kingpin, Professor X, Black Bolt, Daredevil, Venom, Garfield's Spider-Man, Maguire's Spider-Man, and (I'm not including the villains from NWH).
    Most of those characters weren't cameos.

Quote Originally Posted by The Agent of Chaos View Post
    Mystique was never the protagonist of any X-Men movie though.
    Wasn't she one of the protagonists in Apocalypse and Dark Phoenix?

Astonishing Member gonnagiveittoya's Avatar

She dies almost immediately in Dark Phoenix but she isn't evil in those two no

Maybe we can finally get white dress Mystique .

Wasn't she one of the protagonists in Apocalypse and Dark Phoenix?
    No. In fact, Apocalypse didn't have a protagonist at all as it literally had no narrative structure.

Quote Originally Posted by gonnagiveittoya View Post
    She dies almost immediately in Dark Phoenix but she isn't evil in those two no
    Yeah, she dies halfway through and only had 10 minutes of screen time.

I never watched Apocalypse, so thanks for taking the bullet lol