Page 516 of 773 FirstFirst ... 16416466506512513514515516517518519520526566616 ... LastLast
Results 7,726 to 7,740 of 11593
    Niffleheim

Quote Originally Posted by anyajenkins View Post
    And it was horribly pretentious and dull, not to mention one of their lowest grossing movies. Maybe they don’t need to replace creationism and evolution with marvel trademarked giant space robots…
    I'm trying to think about the pretentiousness but i got nothing unless you mean that they were trying to be more than a superhero movie then i disagree because i would have welcomed more pretentiousness then to be honest - the scope they went for was too small. however i did find it dull with many uninteresting characters and actors even though i was opened to the material because i love marvel cosmic it lacked entertainment and the execution was poor
    Last edited by Tofali; 08-05-2022 at 10:18 AM.
    "Dedra Meero is not just a woman in a men’s world, but a fascist in a world of fascists.” - Denise Gough

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post
    I do see what you’re saying with them preventing the birth and the whole debate boiling down to the value of current life vs. future life.
    I hadn't considered it from that angle. It's an interesting take, though it does feel like reaching for the allegory to me.

If Eternals 2 does happen, and with the same writer/director I think Patton said? then I'd be pretty cool with it. I enjoyed Eternals. Glad they tried something different and didn't just stick to the typical MCU formulas (of which I think there's two).

The movie could have been more streamlined (they could have cut the Deviants and Black Knight entirely and I don't think it'd have upset anything too much) and there's other issues I have with it, but as far as structure and quality go I don't think it's worse than most Marvel films, and better than many. It wasn't the dumb popcorn explosion movie that most MCU films are and that most people in the audience expect, but I consider that a feature, not a flaw. Obviously I'm in the minority on this one, but I'm comfortable with that.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

The only thing I can think about in an Eternals 2 is whether Zuras will be in it and how much they might try to "course-correct."
    Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I hadn't considered it from that angle. It's an interesting take, though it does feel like reaching for the allegory to me.

If Eternals 2 does happen, and with the same writer/director I think Patton said? then I'd be pretty cool with it. I enjoyed Eternals. Glad they tried something different and didn't just stick to the typical MCU formulas (of which I think there's two).

The movie could have been more streamlined (they could have cut the Deviants and Black Knight entirely and I don't think it'd have upset anything too much) and there's other issues I have with it, but as far as structure and quality go I don't think it's worse than most Marvel films, and better than many. It wasn't the dumb popcorn explosion movie that most MCU films are and that most people in the audience expect, but I consider that a feature, not a flaw. Obviously I'm in the minority on this one, but I'm comfortable with that.
    Honestly I wish we'd gotten more Deviants.

Well, that and Sersi having her comic personality.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    The only thing I can think about in an Eternals 2 is whether Zuras will be in it and how much they might try to "course-correct."

Marvel frequently butchers the personalities of their strong female characters.
    Black Widow, Mantis and Sersi were all severely toned down or changed to completely different characters.

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    Marvel frequently butchers the personalities of their strong female characters.
    Black Widow, Mantis and Sersi were all severely toned down or changed to completely different characters.
    Not to mention Gamora. Or comparing Hope as Wasp to Janet.

I'd hate to think what they'd do to Storm or Emma.

If they're keeping Cloe Zhao then I doubt they'll make very many adjustments.

But I'll wait for the official announcement before I believe anything. I could just as easily see Marvel sliding the Eternals into other films and not doing a sequel at all, or doing a sequel with someone else behind the director's chair.

More, or none, is what I'd say. If you use the Deviants, then use them for more than a few convenient plot points and action sequences.

Something we could say about how many characters now? Not even just female characters, but plenty of male ones too. Drax? Thor? Even Stark, who was quite different from his comic version at the beginning.
    Last edited by Ascended; 08-05-2022 at 10:57 AM.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

If they're keeping Cloe Zhao then I doubt they'll make very many adjustments.

But I'll wait for the official announcement before I believe anything. I could just as easily see Marvel sliding the Eternals into other films and not doing a sequel at all, or doing a sequel with someone else behind the director's chair.
    It shows they still have confidence in Zhao, yet I just have a hard time imagining they would release a second movie without taking into account the less than stellar critical reception of the first...but who knows.

Makes me wonder what they'd do if they gave Waititi another Thor movie. If we even get another Thor movie now.
    More, or none, is what I'd say. If you use the Deviants, then use them for more than a few convenient plot points and action sequences.
    Yeah, especially with how much of an afterthought they turned Kro into.
    Something we could say about how many characters now?
    True, still disappointing .

Oh no. Hadn’t thought of them. Now I’m worried too hahah

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

It shows they still have confidence in Zhao, yet I just have a hard time imagining they would release a second movie without taking into account the less than stellar critical reception of the first...but who knows.

Makes me wonder what they'd do if they gave Waititi another Thor movie. If we even get another Thor movie now.

Yeah, especially with how much of an afterthought they turned Kro into.

True, still disappointing .
    We'll certainly have another Thor, but I think Wakiti will be busy with Star Wars.

Anyway, I don't think Eternals was a complete disaster, but when I saw it I already knew about the poor reception so I expected something in the Incredible Hulk/Thor: Dark World level or worse. I think the movie showed why the Avengers approach of introducing the characters in individual movies was the right one, we didn't get much personaltiy from anyone other than Ikaris being evil Superman (or poor man's Homelander?).

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    Oh no. Hadn’t thought of them. Now I’m worried too hahah
    Can't get any worse than the Fox films.

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Alpha View Post
    We'll certainly have another Thor, but I think Wakiti will be busy with Star Wars.

Anyway, I don't think Eternals was a complete disaster, but when I saw it I already knew about the poor reception so I expected something in the Incredible Hulk/Thor: Dark World level or worse. I think the movie showed why the Avengers approach of introducing the characters in individual movies was the right one, we didn't get much personaltiy from anyone other than Ikaris being evil Superman (or poor man's Homelander?).
    I think the film definitely struggled with the large cast and frankly it being hard to root or understand some of the characters, especially when they made the conflict more grey and less clear cut.
    Can't get any worse than the Fox films.
    Costumes will definitely be better.

I mean, I'm sure there'd be *some* kind of feedback, even if they keep Cloe. They can still have confidence in her while wanting certain things done differently.

I think somebody was definitely thinking about it, given all the stuff Love & Thunder introduces and the way things play out. Whether a sequel happens in light of L&T's performance? I'd say it's still very possible. This isn't the first Marvel film to stumble at the box office, and Marvel didn't stop, they just adjusted and tried again. And from what I recall seeing, the movie isn't doing "bad" so much as it isn't doing as well as people expected.

If we do get a Thor 5, I hope Waititi doesn't direct. I've enjoyed his films for what they are, but I'd appreciate a new shift in tone and approach.

~ Black Panther.

Astonishing Member

I mean, I'm sure there'd be *some* kind of feedback, even if they keep Cloe. They can still have confidence in her while wanting certain things done differently.

I think somebody was definitely thinking about it, given all the stuff Love & Thunder introduces and the way things play out. Whether a sequel happens in light of L&T's performance? I'd say it's still very possible. This isn't the first Marvel film to stumble at the box office, and Marvel didn't stop, they just adjusted and tried again. And from what I recall seeing, the movie isn't doing "bad" so much as it isn't doing as well as people expected.

If we do get a Thor 5, I hope Waititi doesn't direct. I've enjoyed his films for what they are, but I'd appreciate a new shift in tone and approach.

I have a hard time grasping the narrative the Thor 4 is a box office disappointment when its going to pass Thor 3 in domestic box office this weekend.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by inisideguy View Post
    I have a hard time grasping the narrative the Thor 4 is a box office disappointment when its going to pass Thor 3 in domestic box office this weekend.
    It’s not a disappointment in the slightest.

The movie should clear $700m ww this weekend.

And that’s without China and Russia.

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    It’s not a disappointment in the slightest.

The movie should clear $700m ww this weekend.

And that’s without China and Russia.
    Ah, I was under the impression that it was performing worse. Glad I was wrong.

~ Black Panther.

Niffleheim

One camp will cite the lack of China and Russia box office as the reason why it is underperforming while the other will use MoM to make the case that MoM performed better than Doctor Strange and so should Love and Thunder when compared to Ragnarok. It's open to interpretation.
    Last edited by Tofali; 08-06-2022 at 10:50 AM.
    "Dedra Meero is not just a woman in a men’s world, but a fascist in a world of fascists.” - Denise Gough