Page 764 of 775 FirstFirst ... 264664714754760761762763764765766767768774 ... LastLast
Results 11,446 to 11,460 of 11621
    Astonishing Member

Like the casting or not. The reality is this puts an added weight on the movie. There was already the weight of the previous flops or lower than expectation films and the headlines all ready to go about end of MCU etc. This story can't be mediocre. It already has to be amazing. Then you lean into the inevitable complaints about the female surfer regardless of the alternate universe/multiverse possibility.

I am not so big of a Surfer Fan to feel too much one way or the other personally. Hope it is the best FF4 we have ever gotten on screen. It needs to be at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Tofali View Post
    Seeing ppl's hobbies adapted to the screen was mostly a Phase 1 -3 thing. Feige did say that post Endgame will be about representation and Marvel Studios needs strong female characters in leading roles to be popular so I don't think they care if their decisions is alienating the fanbase. Which I'm OK with so long as they don't come out pointing fingers or blaming the fanbase if their projects don't hit the mark they want,
    The whole problem with that can be handled naturally with some of the strongest female characters Marvel has in Xmen. You wouldn't even need to change genders or use alternate versions.
    Last edited by kidfresh512; 04-04-2024 at 10:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Amenra11 View Post
    People who read these comics, want to see something that resembles the comics they actually read, not some obscure storyline nobody cares about and few people actually read.
    Seeing ppl's hobbies adapted to the screen was mostly a Phase 1 -3 thing. Feige did say that post Endgame will be about representation and Marvel Studios needs strong female characters in leading roles to be popular so I don't think they care if their decisions is alienating the fanbase. Which I'm OK with so long as they don't come out pointing fingers or blaming the fanbase if their projects don't hit the mark they want,
    ...and then there's GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY vol 1-3 plus Holiday Special etc.
    Someone better at math than I can figure out how many times the readership of the comics would have to see the movie for it to be less than a flop.
    Protected by the Comics Code Authority
    YES Capes. YES Masks. YES Secret Identities.

She's probably in it as an after credits scene where she crash lands on Earth and Reed finds the Surfer and all the Surfer says is, "Galactus is coming". Cue FF2

Quote Originally Posted by Amenra11 View Post
    People who read these comics, want to see something that resembles the comics they actually read, not some obscure storyline nobody cares about and few people actually read.
    You don't speak for all comic readers. DnD they've used plenty of obscure characters prior to this, so you can stop with that nonsense.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by krazijoe View Post
    She's probably in it as an after credits scene where she crash lands on Earth and Reed finds the Surfer and all the Surfer says is, "Galactus is coming". Cue FF2
    Galactus is the antagonist of the movie. Trades already confirmed it, Marvel is casting him currently.

Quote Originally Posted by Morgoth View Post
    Galactus is the antagonist of the movie. Trades already confirmed it, Marvel is casting him currently.
    Can't help but feel like they're jumping the gun a little.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Can't help but feel like they're jumping the gun a little.
    Future movies are not promised, best to give the audience something powerful from the jump. Universe building is one thing but this isn't looking to be an origin movie slow start intro and using Galactus in as a vehicle to join a adventure life in progress makes conceptual sense since he isn't a villain that can just get killed off so he's not one and done prospect. Fingers crossed that the FF arrive with some impact.
    Protected by the Comics Code Authority
    YES Capes. YES Masks. YES Secret Identities.

Astonishing Member

I really do find it odd that Kevin Feige wanted more than half of MCU heroes to be women. Young girls are not rushing out buying Captain Marvel, Ms. Marvel, Cassie Lang, Shuri action figures. Shouldn't profit matter in this case? I like my heroines but boys aren't rushing to buy female related merchandise.

You mean what 3% of movie goars will be mad? Most people today has never read a single marvel comic in their life.

My family has not and loved gotg and don't care vance is not the leader or starlord acts more goofy. They don't care black widow and vision are not the originals at all. They like scott lang ant-man and that's the one they know.

Heck my nephews iron man is movie iron man. They never read one of his comics in their life and would rather read one piece, big nate or pokemon over it. Plus, he does not act like movie iron man and that's the one they know.

I really do find it odd that Kevin Feige wanted more than half of MCU heroes to be women. Young girls are not rushing out buying Captain Marvel, Ms. Marvel, Cassie Lang, Shuri action figures. Shouldn't profit matter in this case? I like my heroines but boys aren't rushing to buy female related merchandise.
    What 4 movies in 15 years have main female leads? How the heck is that half? Also, my niece has captain marvel (two toys of her), moon girl, squirrel girl and shuri toys thanks to the marvel rising cartoon and moon girl cartoon and she loves shuri and squirrel girl.

She liks ms marvel also. Heck my older nephew has a shuri action figure. He has an infinity war black widow toy as well.

Ironic my niece never read the comics. They know them from movies, video games, cartoons, legos and toys.
    Last edited by Gaastra; 04-04-2024 at 04:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Colossus1980 View Post
    More than half? Come on, women barely got any relevant roles in most Marvel movies. That only began to change recently, but it’s still a male dominated franchise. There are at best 4 female-led movies against I don’t know how many movies about dudes.
    This right here is what I feared when I heard this news. It just fuels the “M-She-U” crowd. And Marvel is not in a place where they can afford alienating part of their audience, even if their arguments are unfounded.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    You mean what 3% of movie goars will be mad? Most people today has never read a single marvel comic in their life.

My family has not and loved gotg and don't care vance is not the leader or starlord acts more goofy. They don't care black widow and vision are not the originals at all. They like scott lang ant-man and that's the one they know.

Heck my nephews iron man is movie iron man. They never read one of his comics in their life and would rather read one piece, big nate or pokemon over it. Plus, he does not act like movie iron man and that's the one they know. What 4 movies in 15 years have main female leads? How the heck is that half? Also, my niece has captain marvel (two toys of her), moon girl, squirrel girl and shuri toys thanks to the marvel rising cartoon and moon girl cartoon and she loves shuri and squirrel girl.

She liks ms marvel also. Heck my older nephew has a shuri action figure. He has an infinity war black widow toy as well.

Ironic my niece never read the comics. They know them from movies, video games, cartoons, legos and toys.
    Interesting ideas here. To voice a counter argument, yes, perhaps only a small percentage of the movie goers are comic book readers. However, would the rest of the audience have felt slighted if a male Norin Radd was chosen as Silver Surfer as some fans are now? Would they have known the difference? The Silver Surfer's story could still be told as it stands now and whichever gender, race, ethnicity, etc. watches could still be inspired by Norrin Radd's story. Because Norrin Radd's story is a great story. And this great story could finally be told within the MCU.

As for the changes, Star Lord's personality or Scott Lang being the main Ant Man are somewhat different then the Marvel comics. But when it comes to race, gender, sexuality, sex, ethnicity, etc., those are big things. They're big markers of identity. People still group ourselves as either this or not this. And they still feel left out when someone is not represented.

These are things to consider where some fans are coming from.

HOWEVER

This isn't the Marvel Universe. This is the MCU. It's different and so there's room for creativity. The MCU has played around with character origins and identities and y'know what? They have been great. Star Lord being more comedic has been iconic. So has Scott Lang as Ant Man. Having Maria Rambeau play Binary instead of Carol Danvers is an interesting twist and I'd like to see where that goes. Moreover, there is precedent for something like this. As I mentioned before in a previous post, there have been What If? and Earth X which had a female Silver Surfer. If more people, girls, boys, whomever, are inspired to learn more about Silver Surfer because of Ms. Garner's performance, that's a good thing. If more fans feel empowered because of this, that's a good thing. Indeed, I see this with a lot of young kids today whenever they wear their Miles Morales and Spider-Gwen t-shirts. It makes me happy to see them read these characters along with their MHA, Demon Slayer, and Jujitsu Kaisen, Furthermore, whenever non-comic book folk watch the movies, they usually ask me about them and I give them a little knowledge of the subject. That makes me happy.

And while fans can still feel deeply attached to their identities, they can also recognize that there are qualities that go beyond identity. If this Silver Surfer can convey that sense of wonder and contemplation of the universe, as well as blast stuff with the Power Cosmic, then I'd definitely support that.

So, ultimately, there are many ideas to consider here. Personally, though I have my preferences, I'm open. When the presentation of the actors for the new slate of MCU films happens at San Diego Comic Con this July or when the new Fantastic Four film comes out, I'll see this new story.

And I'll be willing to defend it too.
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

Quote Originally Posted by PhantomBoom View Post
    People do realize why South Park had Eric Cartman the character who's main character trait is that he's a moronic bigot be the mouth piece who says this sort of stuff right? Or am I alone in that?
    No, no, that gets lost on them.

Quote Originally Posted by Tien Long View Post
    Interesting ideas here. To voice a counter argument, yes, perhaps only a small percentage of the movie goers are comic book readers. However, would the rest of the audience have felt slighted if a male Norin Radd was chosen as Silver Surfer as some fans are now? Would they have known the difference? The Silver Surfer's story could still be told as it stands now and whichever gender, race, ethnicity, etc. watches could still be inspired by Norrin Radd's story. Because Norrin Radd's story is a great story. And this great story could finally be told within the MCU.

As for the changes, Star Lord's personality or Scott Lang being the main Ant Man are somewhat different then the Marvel comics. But when it comes to race, gender, sexuality, sex, ethnicity, etc., those are big things. They're big markers of identity. People still group ourselves as either this or not this. And they still feel left out when someone is not represented.

These are things to consider where some fans are coming from.

HOWEVER

This isn't the Marvel Universe. This is the MCU. It's different and so there's room for creativity. The MCU has played around with character origins and identities and y'know what? They have been great. Star Lord being more comedic has been iconic. So has Scott Lang as Ant Man. Having Maria Rambeau play Binary instead of Carol Danvers is an interesting twist and I'd like to see where that goes. Moreover, there is precedent for something like this. As I mentioned before in a previous post, there have been What If? and Earth X which had a female Silver Surfer. If more people, girls, boys, whomever, are inspired to learn more about Silver Surfer because of Ms. Garner's performance, that's a good thing. If more fans feel empowered because of this, that's a good thing. Indeed, I see this with a lot of young kids today whenever they wear their Miles Morales and Spider-Gwen t-shirts. It makes me happy to see them read these characters along with their MHA, Demon Slayer, and Jujitsu Kaisen, Furthermore, whenever non-comic book folk watch the movies, they usually ask me about them and I give them a little knowledge of the subject. That makes me happy.

And while fans can still feel deeply attached to their identities, they can also recognize that there are qualities that go beyond identity. If this Silver Surfer can convey that sense of wonder and contemplation of the universe, as well as blast stuff with the Power Cosmic, then I'd definitely support that.

So, ultimately, there are many ideas to consider here. Personally, though I have my preferences, I'm open. When the presentation of the actors for the new slate of MCU films happens at San Diego Comic Con this July or when the new Fantastic Four film comes out, I'll see this new story.

And I'll be willing to defend it too.
    Wow. This was a pretty fantastic post!

Extraordinary Member

I mean sometimes Cartman is the mouthpiece for the creators. (There's a long tradition of authors using idiots and even villains to say things they wish they could say.) Usually if he's right about something the story itself will back him up, but he'll always go too far or make the dumbest possible decision even if he's right.

A famous example from a different kind of culture war is the episode where Cartman wants to get "Family Guy" canceled, and makes a speech where he is the creator's mouthpiece to explain why they think their show is better than "Family Guy." But then later in the story we see that "Family Guy" is written by manatees moving random joke balls around, so the story is agreeing with Cartman.

I also don't understand the casting. The F4 franchise has been plagued with all sorts of problems and now they've deliberately made a casting decision they know will be controversial. What, are they still of the opinion that there's no such thing as bad publicity? This isn't going to make or break the quality of the movie, but after the terrible 2023 box office, I would've guessed they would've gone back to basics with F4.
    Last edited by DochaDocha; 04-04-2024 at 08:38 PM.