Page 362 of 761 FirstFirst ... 262312352358359360361362363364365366372412462 ... LastLast
Results 5,416 to 5,430 of 11410

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    I would say that Marvel could adapt some of the more contemporary Western stories. One comes to mind from John Ostrander (writer). Blaze of Glory and Apache Skies. It was kind of revisionist take on the stock characters that Timely/Marvel had for many years.

I think it could be a traditional western, but Marvel could absolutely incorporate some kind of powered threat, magic, monster, Asgardian tech, something.

https://www.comicsxf.com/2020/07/30/...i-fi%20setting.
    Or they could shine a light on some western themed characters that live in the present day.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/theroni...e-rangers/amp/
    T'Challa
    A.K.A. The Black Panther
    King of Wakanda
    King of the Dead and The Champion of Bast
    Two-Time Time Magazine "Person Of The Year"
    Six-Time People Magazine "Sexiest Man Alive"

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by BlackClaw View Post
    Or they could shine a light on some western themed characters that live in the present day.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/theroni...e-rangers/amp/

Yea I really believe you could do a ton with it if done right. And the best thing about it is it would be free from the modern MCU with continuity. You could literally basically set up a new MCU except back in the 1800s. To me it would be super fun. But its pretty risky. One the other hand the Madalorian is basically a space western. And it is huge.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I mean, I'm pretty sure people still rob banks. And I've read comics that deal with violence against minorities too.

I just don't see how it's propaganda more than just a convention of the genre. I mean, if you have an inherent problem with the Superhero genre to that extent, fine, but it's how it is.
    Bank robberies aren't nearly as common from what I've heard. In fact I've that kind of violence has generally decreased. Cities aren't full of violent killers necessitating Yeah, some comics deal with crimes against minorities but how often?

And I didn't say I had a problem with superheroes. I said I've recently had these thoughts about street level vigilantes, because the whole 'cities full of crime' attitude is also used to justify things like 'the thin blue line,' but even outside of the police, we've had incidences of people using extrajudicial violence to bad ends. Yeah, these things are conventions, but we can challenge conventions. Not everything which made sense back then does now. I mean, i've seen several comments asking for more variety. Well, this is about as cliche a superhero can get. Other heroes are dealing with more interesting stuff

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    I would say that Marvel could adapt some of the more contemporary Western stories. One comes to mind from John Ostrander (writer). Blaze of Glory and Apache Skies. It was kind of revisionist take on the stock characters that Timely/Marvel had for many years.

I think it could be a traditional western, but Marvel could absolutely incorporate some kind of powered threat, magic, monster, Asgardian tech, something.

https://www.comicsxf.com/2020/07/30/...i-fi%20setting.
    Contemporary westerns, as in based in modern times? I could see that working

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    Hawkeye is easy to balance because he's a regular human at the end of the day. This isn't DBZ where he's gonna level up. A gang with machine guns is still a threat to him.
    Very true. But I'm not sure after Hawkeye, Fury, Yelena, and Kate Bishop retire, they'll be many regular human heroes anymore. The Marvel superhero world doesn't have that many.

Quote Originally Posted by Albert1981 View Post
    Very true. But I'm not sure after Hawkeye, Fury, Yelena, and Kate Bishop retire, they'll be many regular human heroes anymore. The Marvel superhero world doesn't have that many.
    Yelena and Kate ain't going anywhere any time soon. Plus they do have a ton of low powered heroes that they could still use. We haven't even scratched that surface yet .

Astonishing Member

There are a crap ton of non powered super heroes in the MCU. I mean for gosh sake they haven't even brought Daredevil in yet. They are just bringing in Moonknight. The entire Daredevil universe is filled with barely powered people. Its really only up to their imagination. Heck there are more non powered or low powered guys out there that they haven't brought in, than they have.

I meant more along the lines of A-lister superheroes in the Marvel Universe who don't have ANY superpowers at all. I think Punisher is one, but I don't see him joining the MCU anytime soon and his hero status is still kinda disputed. I thought DD gained other "enhanced senses" after he became blind so I think he is a definite step above MCU Hawkeye(s), Black Widow(s), Fury and Maria Hill.

I meant more along the lines of A-lister superheroes in the Marvel Universe who don't have ANY superpowers at all. I think Punisher is one, but I don't see him joining the MCU anytime soon and his hero status is still kinda disputed. I thought DD gained other "enhanced senses" after he became blind so I think he is a definite step above MCU Hawkeye(s), Black Widow(s), Fury and Maria Hill.
    I don't think the A/B/C list mentality matters anymore. Guardians would be C-list but they still became a hit.

Astonishing Member

The MCU made Hawkeye and Black Widow huge names. They were always around but if you would have told me Hawkeye was an A list marvel superhero in 1990 I would have laughed at you. Neither of them had their own books forever. They were tried for decades and failed. The MCU can make a C lister into a star with one movie or show. For goodness sake Moonknight other than his initial run and I guess his second run in the late 80s hasn't had a book go more than 30 issues. Now he has his own tv show coming. And all of a sudden his new comic is hot property. Neflix was able to make a tv show based on Jessica Jones that ran for 3 seasons who wasn't even a character till 2001. And that was a MAX line. The potential for all these characters is really only limited by the tv and movie writers. They could do a Darcy show and make it work if they were creative enough.

Good points. D-listers in the comics have definitely become A-listers on screen. That's why I actually like the movies/shows more than the comic books a lot of the time. I never thought we'd be getting a Moon Knight show either. I don't even really know who Jessica Jones is, and she's pretty popular too. I like how Feige wants to focus more attention on Avengers/characters we've already seen. That's why I'm looking forward to She-Hulk, Armor Wars and Secret Invasion the most (after Hawkeye). I'm glad Marvel Studios are delaying the introduction of the Fantastic Four and the X-Men. They've already had a lot of exposure in the public eye.
    Last edited by Albert1981; 11-23-2021 at 04:28 PM.

Astonishing Member

Good points. D-listers in the comics have definitely become A-listers on screen. That's why I actually like the movies/shows more than the comic books a lot of the time. I never thought we'd be getting a Moon Knight show either. I don't even really know who Jessica Jones is, and she's pretty popular too. I like how Feige wants to focus more attention on Avengers/characters we've already seen. That's why I'm looking forward to She-Hulk, Armor Wars and Secret Invasion the most (after Hawkeye). I'm glad Marvel Studios are delaying the introduction of the Fantastic Four and the X-Men. They've already had a lot of exposure in the public eye.
    I started a threat awhile back about what MCU properties would people like to see in the MCU. There were some interesting ideas thats for sure.

I'm more of a Neo-Noir guy so I'd be down for the Mystery Men and the Twelve popping up. I'd even be into a Spider-man noir film but that would be more of a pastiche.

https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Mystery_Men_Vol_1_1

https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Twelve_(WWII)_(Earth-616)

I figured if they wanna use a Native American character, he'd be a good starting point.

https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Jason...ow_(Earth-616)
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 11-23-2021 at 04:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by inisideguy View Post
    I started a threat awhile back about what MCU properties would people like to see in the MCU. There were some interesting ideas thats for sure.
    Oh yeah, I lurked in that thread. Interesting recommendations. I do think that the MCU should start RETIRING some characters who have been in the movies/shows for over a decade before introducing too many NEW characters though. Marvel's adding too much without subtracting enough in my opinion. WandaVision, Falcon & the Winter Soldier, Loki, Black Widow and Shang-Chi introduced a SLEW of new HEROES, but they quickly eliminated many villains (like Disney has in previous phases). I personally like endings. They're never perfect, but I like the closure that comes along with them.

Quote Originally Posted by CosmiComic View Post
    Bank robberies aren't nearly as common from what I've heard. In fact I've that kind of violence has generally decreased. Cities aren't full of violent killers necessitating Yeah, some comics deal with crimes against minorities but how often?
    Common, maybe not, but they still happen. It's like expecting stuff like the Batfamily's existence to wipe out all petty or violent crime, it doesn't.
    And I didn't say I had a problem with superheroes. I said I've recently had these thoughts about street level vigilantes, because the whole 'cities full of crime' attitude is also used to justify things like 'the thin blue line,' but even outside of the police, we've had incidences of people using extrajudicial violence to bad ends. Yeah, these things are conventions, but we can challenge conventions. Not everything which made sense back then does now. I mean, i've seen several comments asking for more variety. Well, this is about as cliche a superhero can get. Other heroes are dealing with more interesting stuff
    Well, with Superheroes their vigilantism usually comes to a point to where they don't go overboard, or when they do there are consequences.