Page 337 of 775 FirstFirst ... 237287327333334335336337338339340341347387437 ... LastLast
Results 5,041 to 5,055 of 11619
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Husk View Post
    I suppose to bring that point to an end, despite playing a white Sue Storm, Jessica Alba is herself not a white woman. Lol.
    Those movies sure did want you to think that she was with those blue contacts and awful blonde wig or dye job though.
    "I love mankind...it's people I can't stand!!"

- Charles Schultz.

Extraordinary Member

For the Latino community, shouldn't that be white presenting. Ethnically, they're still Latino. Racially, they're white presenting.
    True but when folks say on forum they want more latino representation i get the feeling they are not looking to see more white faces
    or they do not mean white latino representation.
    What they really mean is poc latino representation.
    Folks need to make it more clear because if latino representation increases and most are white or shown to be white in comics etc.. Guess what many would say not that type of representation.
    Better to make it clear now what type of latino representation then feel sorry later.
    It's like asians saying they want more representation but get alot more indian and arab asians or black,brown or white asians in comics instead of asiatic race types since asians come in all races just like latinos and even native americans.
    You can't just say asian,you have to be more clear.
    Anyway i get the feeling some latinos think most are poc in real life too in america and that's not the case looking at the census.

I remember a while back the mcu was looking for latino actor to play werewolf by night for the mcu,but i was saying to myself,what type of latino?brown,white or asiatic looking or maybe black.
    I posted the info a few pages back.

I took a look at the actor and i needed to see more pics of him.
    Guess what i did?I did not post the info in the minority marvel thread.
    You know why,because i thought he look white and he is white from the pics i seen.
    I could be wrong but so far the pics i seen he looks like white latino.
    Last edited by mace11; 11-07-2021 at 12:04 PM.

Ultimate Member

Anyways, on the Eternals movie, I thought it was pretty good.

It could be my point of reference (and most of my comic book loving friends) but I didn't really get some of the complaints and a LOT of them seem overblown.

The past sequences were critical IMO to establishing the complexity of the conflict of the film (particularly a major character's deceipt and another character betraying said character) and explained the resolution to said conflict. People say the movie was too long...honestly...I thought it could be longer.

The action sequences were all very well done and every character (except Kingo) showcased their powers in cool ways. I like that the trailers didn't really show much of the movie or even really explain the plot.

I think Eternals is one of those movies that re-appraised years down the line. I'm not suggesting the movie is a masterpiece but it's not at all a "mess" (how anyone struggled to understand this movie is utterly baffling) and it wasn't "dull" at all.

However, there was stuff in the movie be it the LGBT representation or minority representation or even the religious elements (which could be a big, big reason why a big chunk of US audiences will be cold to the movie) that could or has apparently triggered a lot of people. But I think that says more about the people being triggered than the actual movie itself.
    Last edited by Username taken; 11-07-2021 at 11:52 AM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post

It could be my point of reference (and most of my comic book loving friends) but I didn't really get some of the complaints and a LOT of them seem overblown.

The past sequences were critical IMO to establishing the complexity of the conflict (particularly a major character's deceipt and another character betraying said character) and explained the resolution to said conflict. People say the movie was too long...honestly...I thought it could be longer.

I think Eternals is one of those movies that re-appraised years down the line. I'm not suggesting the movie is a masterpiece but it's not at all a "mess" (how anyone struggled to understand this movie is utterly baffling) and it wasn't "dull" at all.
    To you it wasn’t. To me, it was the pretty much was. And I don’t think it’s baffling that someone couldn’t understand or follow what’s going on, especially if one is an average joe who isn’t well versed in MCU or comics in general. That being said, I’m glad you enjoyed it but sadly I’m not a huge fan.
    Last edited by Amadeus Arkham; 11-07-2021 at 12:00 PM.

- Charles Schultz.

The past sequences were critical IMO to establishing the complexity of the conflict of the film (particularly a major character's deceipt and another character betraying said character) and explained the resolution to said conflict. People say the movie was too long...honestly...I thought it could be longer.

The action sequences were all very well done and every character (except Kingo) showcased their powers in cool ways. I like that the trailers didn't really show much of the movie or even really explain the plot.

However, there was stuff in the movie be it the LGBT representation or minority representation or even the religious elements (which could be a big, big reason why a big chunk of US audiences will be cold to the movie) that could or has apparently triggered a lot of people. But I think that says more about the people being triggered than the actual movie itself.
    In Kingo's defence, his power was pretty lame in action to begin with. It just wasn't as visually appealing as someone like Thena's.

I enjoyed the movie for the most part but I don't think it made the most of the characters entirely. There was an entire segment of the movie where it seemed to have forgotten about spoilers:
    Makkari since it took so long to return to her
    end of spoilers.

It could have been slightly tighter and veered into meandering territory from time to time but on the whole, I think the Eternals achieved what it needed too. It introduced everyone to an extent that we knew who they were which allows them to branch into other parts of the franchise and for any sequels to introduce new characters, and the action was scattered through the plot organically. It never felt like the movie was relying on anything other than the characters, which might be what put some viewers off. However, I enjoy character-focused movies so I probably fall into the demographic that was always going to appreciate a movie like this.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Amadeus Arkham View Post
    To you it wasn’t. To me, it was the pretty much was. And I don’t think it’s baffling that someone couldn’t understand or follow what’s going on, especially if one is an average joe who isn’t well versed in MCU or comics in general. That being said, I’m glad you enjoyed it but sadly I’m not a huge fan.
    Like I said, I didn't find it dull at all.

But that's opinions, we all have different ones.
    Last edited by Username taken; 11-07-2021 at 12:26 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Yeah getting back to movie eternals.
    I did not find it boring at all.
    It is to me a really exciting movie.
    I really enjoyed it.

Ultimate Member

In Kingo's defence, his power was pretty lame in action to begin with. It just wasn't as visually appealing as someone like Thena's.

I enjoyed the movie for the most part but I don't think it made the most of the characters entirely. There was an entire segment of the movie where it seemed to have forgotten about spoilers:
    Makkari since it took so long to return to her
    end of spoilers.

It could have been slightly tighter and veered into meandering territory from time to time but on the whole, I think the Eternals achieved what it needed too. It introduced everyone to an extent that we knew who they were which allows them to branch into other parts of the franchise and for any sequels to introduce new characters, and the action was scattered through the plot organically. It never felt like the movie was relying on anything other than the characters, which might be what put some viewers off. However, I enjoy character-focused movies so I probably fall into the demographic that was always going to appreciate a movie like this.
    That's the key thing.

A whole lot of people don't enjoy stories like this (the movie only got a B cinemascore, the lowest ever for the MCU)but I personally like sprawling stories like these.

I like the whole info dump about "creation" and the likes. I don't have any problem with that sort of stuff.

The point you made about one of the characters was I felt the movie should have been longer. The end of the movie hinted at some form of relationship between the character and another Eternal but that wasn't touched upon at all earlier in the film.

Astonishing Member Force de Phenix's Avatar

The religious elements were interesting and haven't been brought up even though they were basically saying god doesn't exist in their universe and gods are charlatans that manipulate their followers for their own benefits.

The movie also shoved things in people's radar, like the whole universe at Marvel. It showed that these superhuman people could be down to Earth and had an interesting family type dynamic. People thought that they couldn't make a movie with obscure characters like people actually knew who any super hero was before their movie.

Astonishing Member

Like I said, I didn't find it dull at all.

But that's opinions, we all have different ones.
    I get that, just politely disagreeing my man. Again, glad you enjoyed the film.

- Charles Schultz.

Quote Originally Posted by davetvs View Post
    I agree with some of your post, but how would that stink of pandering meanwhile creating an MCU Avengers team that was [initially] 100% white, 100% heterosexual, and 83% male doesn't? We only hear complaints about pandering when a minority creeps into the mix. Pandering to straight white males is totally fine, and not at all cause for concern?
    Who said the all white Avengers lineup wasn't a problem? I bitched about that back in 2012, and again when Age of Ultron did the same thing. I have complained incessantly about the lack of women and PoC headliners in the MCU (and continue to do so) and the "black sidekick" habit they (still) have. I've bitched about the fact that the Studio has had the rights to Luke Cage back for a couple years now and the character is still MIA. I've bitched that Marvel largely seems to think that "representation" only means "black" and they mostly ignore every other group out there (a few exceptions notwithstanding).

But that wasn't the discussion we were just having; I was speaking about why someone might dislike racebending for reasons other than simple bigotry. The Avengers lineup wasn't racebent so why would I bring it up for that conversation?
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Astonishing Member

One thing I enjoyed about the film is just how well realized the celestials were in this. Unlike Fox, Marvel Studios isn’t afraid of doing those unabashed gargantuan Kirby aliens. Gives me great hope that they’ll finally do Galactus justice whenever he makes his way into the MCU, which can’t be soon enough. I almost wish they would’ve had him in the movie and I would’ve even be fine with changing him into a celestial, but I know that change wouldn’t make much sense, if at all, but that’s just how badly I want my boy Galactus to be brought to screen properly.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    We can avoid this argument with the X-men but not the FF. The x-men have a wider range of characters to choose from. I'm cool with benching the 05 if it gets us a more diverse cast.

However the FF are centered around 5 characters and the only POC would be Doom. Most fanart/fancast tend to favor a multicultural FF so I could see the MCU following suit.
    Not sure if you are counting it....and while not POC directly...Ben Grimm is Jewish adding to the diversity of the team. I would love to see Marvel reach out to Bill Goldberg (a Jewish man himself) to play Thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Amadeus Arkham View Post
    One thing I enjoyed about the film is just how well realized the celestials were in this. Unlike Fox, Marvel Studios isn’t afraid of doing those unabashed gargantuan Kirby aliens. Gives me great hope that they’ll finally do Galactus justice whenever he makes his way into the MCU, which can’t be soon enough. I almost wish they would’ve had him in the movie and I would’ve even be fine with changing him into a celestial, but I know that change wouldn’t make much sense, if at all, but that’s just how badly I want my boy Galactus to be brought to screen properly.
    I think the questions is more whether they save Galactus for an FF film or do an event film with him in it.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think the questions is more whether they save Galactus for an FF film or do an event film with him in it.
    I’d be fine with either option, but I suspect they’ll do Galactus in a non-FF film. Don’t think it has to be an event film like Avengers.

- Charles Schultz.