Page 766 of 775 FirstFirst ... 266666716756762763764765766767768769770 ... LastLast
Results 11,476 to 11,490 of 11621
    Astonishing Member

I wouldn't really mind, but there's one thing I'm concerned about - potential synergy in comics. Like, what if they kill of Norrin (or take away his powers) and make Shalla the Silver Surfer in 616?
    But apart from that, I want to see an execution before making any conclusions. And also, considering recent rumors about the story, there's still a chance we're getting Norrin in the future.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Morgoth View Post
    But apart from that, I want to see an execution before making any conclusions. And also, considering recent rumors about the story, there's still a chance we're getting Norrin in the future.
    Wouldn't it just be as a flashback as to the reason why Shalla-Bal volunteered to be the SS? I just see Norrin as the love interest and not as a herald in this MCU version. Personally I rather Feige stick to the comic version but I guess little girls are prone to buying Marvel merch.

Guardian of the Universe comicstar100's Avatar

This to me kinda of just fixes something that isn't broken. Nothing is wrong with Norrin Radd. This change isn't like a deal breaker or anything, I know the actress from Ozark and enjoy her work. Just not what I would of preferred.

It does however make me think the rumors of the Fantastic Four being on a different earth outside of the main MCU 616 are true.

Quote Originally Posted by Doom'nGloom View Post
    I dunno. Correct me if I'm wrong but your posts on various threads on this site make me think that you like it best when adaptations stay as close as possible to the source material at least in terms of characters and characterization. The truth is comic book readers are a small percentage of the general audience which don't have a concrete idea of who the Silver Surfer is. When MCU makes a decision it is in service of maximizing their profits or at least that's what they think. A female Silver Surfer may not be that appealing to a comic book reader but we don't know what the average Joe on the street thinks and that's the guy Disney is going after. How succesful they are in their attempt we'll only know once the movie comes out.
    You can make a lot of hypothetical arguments, like who actually has the mentality that they were on the fence about watching F4 but casting a woman to play Silver Surfer was enough to sway their decision to 'yes'? I just don't see the point in arguing that the small percentage of comic book readers who may not like this is insignficant, but the incalculable amount of audience who would be in favor of this might matter. In that case, I say just say your opinion (politely), and if you're being reasonable, don't apologize why you feel the way you do.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by comicstar100 View Post
    This to me kinda of just fixes something that isn't broken. Nothing is wrong with Norrin Radd. This change isn't like a deal breaker or anything, I know the actress from Ozark and enjoy her work. Just not what I would of preferred.

It does however make me think the rumors of the Fantastic Four being on a different earth outside of the main MCU 616 are true.
    But I guess when one thinks about it closely it doesn't make sense to only have one core female in the movie assuming Alicia Masters isn't introduced in the movie. While we don't know how big a part Shalla-Bal will play at least she's introduced and will likely play a much bigger role in the second movie if the first is successful.

Guardian of the Universe comicstar100's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Colossus1980 View Post
    But I guess when one thinks about it closely it doesn't make sense to only have one core female in the movie assuming Alicia Masters isn't introduced in the movie. While we don't know how big a part Shalla-Bal will play at least she's introduced and will likely play a much bigger role in the second movie if the first is successful.
    Still unnecessary, rumors are the kids could be in the film. That gives you both Sue and Valeria.

Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post
    You can make a lot of hypothetical arguments, like who actually has the mentality that they were on the fence about watching F4 but casting a woman to play Silver Surfer was enough to sway their decision to 'yes'? I just don't see the point in arguing that the small percentage of comic book readers who may not like this is insignficant, but the incalculable amount of audience who would be in favor of this might matter. In that case, I say just say your opinion (politely), and if you're being reasonable, don't apologize why you feel the way you do.
    I'm not arguing one way or the other. I'm not saying MCU's approach is right or wrong or even if it makes sense or not. I'm merely saying that when making decisions MCU doesn't care much about what the comic book reading audience thinks no matter how much Kevin Feige claims that he's a marvel aficionado.

I'm not arguing one way or the other. I'm not saying MCU's approach is right or wrong or even if it makes sense or not. I'm merely saying that when making decisions MCU doesn't care much about what the comic book reading audience thinks no matter how much Kevin Feige claims that he's a marvel aficionado.
    That's fair. I'm cynical enough to think, though, that they are in the "no such thing as bad publicity" camp and are going to use the predictable back-and-forth to keep F4 in the news.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tien Long View Post
    I've thought about that. MCU is MCU and the comics are the comics. I'm good with that distinction. If there were synergy between the two and suddenly Shalla Bal became the new Silver Surfer in the comics, I'll be honest, that would hurt. It would take some time for me to warm up to it, but yeah it would hurt. However, not everything has become synergistic. Kang in the comics is still Caucasian. Taskmaster is still Tony Masters.

So all I can say is we'll see.
    True. I mean, T'Challa is still Black Panther and Steve is still Cap (although admittedly, he is one of two). Tony's still alive as well.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Spectacular Member

I dunno. Correct me if I'm wrong but your posts on various threads on this site make me think that you like it best when adaptations stay as close as possible to the source material at least in terms of characters and characterization. The truth is comic book readers are a small percentage of the general audience which don't have a concrete idea of who the Silver Surfer is. When MCU makes a decision it is in service of maximizing their profits or at least that's what they think. A female Silver Surfer may not be that appealing to a comic book reader but we don't know what the average Joe on the street thinks and that's the guy Disney is going after. How succesful they are in their attempt we'll only know once the movie comes out.
    Marvel made this change to check boxes. They wanted another women in the cast because there would have too many men otherwise. As the Marvels and Madame Web showed most people who watch these movies are still male and they are the ones who buy the merchandise.

But I also don't see where a gender-flip would really move the needle unless they think they want more female heroes around (when they've barely scratched the surface of female heroes from the comics) so let's just gender-flip them?

I can't imagine they're thinking of attracting male fans with a female Silver Surfer.
    Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    True. I mean, T'Challa is still Black Panther and Steve is still Cap (although admittedly, he is one of two). Tony's still alive as well.
    Of course there was some speculation they were sabotaging T'Challa in the comics in an attempt to de-emphasize him in-time for Wakanda Forever. Though they haven't outright replaced him with Shuri yet.

I definitely think they're keeping Sam around as Cap for synergy even though he can't hold down a solo.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Of course there was some speculation they were sabotaging T'Challa in the comics in an attempt to de-emphasize him in-time for Wakanda Forever. Though they haven't outright replaced him with Shuri yet.
    The moment they do, I'm more than happy to concede your point. It's really nothing more than speculation.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I definitely think they're keeping Sam around as Cap for synergy even though he can't hold down a solo.
    But it's not like they're actually sacrificing anything with that. Steve is still Cap. What's so wrong with having both? It's not like you actually have to read both.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

It's so strange people are criticizing this casting by insisting that the fans are sexist.

Quote Originally Posted by 80sbaby View Post
    It's so strange people are criticizing this casting by insisting that the fans are sexist.
    People are just being purposefully obtuse, but what else is new.

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    The moment they do, I'm more than happy to concede your point. It's really nothing more than speculation.
    Not sure it helps John Ridley's run either way .
    But it's not like they're actually sacrificing anything with that. Steve is still Cap. What's so wrong with having both? It's not like you actually have to read both.
    I think there's a question of whether the market can really support two. Sam is lucky to be the "Avengers" Cap.