Page 768 of 775 FirstFirst ... 268668718758764765766767768769770771772 ... LastLast
Results 11,506 to 11,520 of 11621
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Well, considering Sam currently doesn't have a solo while Steve does...
    Okay, ya got me there lol. I'm honestly only reading three Marvel ongoing at the moment along with a couple minis, so I'm probably not as up on stuff as I should be.

That said, I still don't feel that having more than one Cap in the 616 is necessarily a bad thing in the least. Steve's still Cap, so I don't see what the issue is.

Though the recent mini is trying to write Yelena more like her MCU counterpart and failing spectacularly at it.
    Can't comment on that, but considering I didn't think much of Yelena outside of her first appearance in that mini some time ago, I don't see this as a bad thing in the least.

Kind of part why I'm surprised they're doing female Silver Surfer to be honest unless they change the design to seem less naked.
    That's what I'm seeing happening. And I expect a plethora of ridiculous internet outrage over that, too.
    Last edited by phonogram12; 04-06-2024 at 08:37 AM.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Niffleheim

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post

That's what I'm seeing happening. And I expect a plethora of ridiculous internet outrage over that, too.
    as long as the movie is in constant discussions, whether it is positive or negative, nobody should really care
    "Dedra Meero is not just a woman in a men’s world, but a fascist in a world of fascists.” - Denise Gough

Okay, ya got me there lol. I'm honestly only reading three Marvel ongoing at the moment along with a couple minis, so I'm probably not as up on stuff as I should be.

That said, I still don't feel that having more than one Cap in the 616 is necessarily a bad thing in the least. Steve's still Cap, so I don't see what the issue is.
    To be honest I also don't think we need so many shared mantles but that's just me.
    Can't comment on that, but considering I didn't think much of Yelena outside of her first appearance in that mini some time ago, I don't see this as a bad thing in the least.
    If the writing doesn't hold up, I think it is.
    I mean, if we're being totally equal-opportunity, it should be the same design even if it has boobs .

Astonishing Member

Failure to change, adapt, grow, or evolve is pretty much death. Although it really wouldn't surprise me that if said man children can't get their way, they would rather burn the house down than let other people live in it.
    …but ‘the girls’ aren’t seeing these movies/shows either. Whatever the manbabies might be doing or saying, the female audience marvel wants aren’t showing up. Marvel already had a good sized female demographic, (thatÂ’s one of the reasons why they made so much money, lol) and most likely, the existing female audience liked the movies how they were and new female audience marvel is trying to attract isnÂ’t responding to the. ‘Super heroes, but like you’ tactic (this was a real ad I was online for The Marvels, they used the line, they’re just like us! Lol)

And it’s kinda weird that marvel wants to increase the female audience, but got rid of their existing, already somewhat popular characters, Wanda and Natasha. I don’t know if they thought they were too flawed, too old, not relatable enough…whatever it was, probably didnÂ’t help their goal.

And it’s kinda weird that marvel wants to increase the female audience, but got rid of their existing, already somewhat popular characters, Wanda and Natasha. I don’t know if they thought they were too flawed, too old, not relatable enough…whatever it was, probably didnÂ’t help their goal.
    This might have actually meant something if Marvel hadn't also gotten ridden of two of it's far more popular male characters Steve and Tony.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    This might have actually meant something if Marvel hadn't also gotten ridden of two of it's far more popular male characters Steve and Tony.
    Unfortunately the MCU thought most of their new IP's were going to be GOTG popular. It doesn't work that way. And the MCU was too stubborn to use new actors to replace the characters. It was getting too expensive to keep the mainstays.

Quote Originally Posted by GenericUsername View Post
    They didn't change Surfer into a woman. Just used Shalla-bal who has been around since the 60s.
    Yes, BUT... she was only like that in Earth-X... which is like the anti-matter equivalent of canon. It's officially published to BE the opposite of canon.

and IIRC in THAT story... Shalla-bal getting transformed was NORRIN'S doing to save her from when Zen-la was destroyed or something.

I'm in the group of "If you want a female Herald... Nova is that way>"

Ultimate Member

I don't know if Shalla-Bal is going to be the Silver Surfer here but if she is it's definitely not how I would have approached this.

This is the MCUs first go at the FF, so not adapting the main 616 storyline relatively faithfully here is an interesting choice. And no, I don't believe the creatives are doing this for culture war reasons. I also realize that the MCU isn't the 616 universe but depending on how it plays it out, it could be a missed opportunity. But again, if that's the story they want to tell, then I'll take a wait and see approach to this one.

I also don't agree with folks that Galactus needs to be built up to. Not every villain needs a special build up considering Galactus comes with heralds and got waived off with the Ultimate Nullifier..lol.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    Yes, BUT... she was only like that in Earth-X... which is like the anti-matter equivalent of canon. It's officially published to BE the opposite of canon.

and IIRC in THAT story... Shalla-bal getting transformed was NORRIN'S doing to save her from when Zen-la was destroyed or something.

Also in that series she gets killed in a fight alongside Galactus and Radd against the Celestials. So she basically does nothing in the series other than get saved by the Surfer, gets killed and the Surfer spends the rest of the series in a depression over her death. All the people who defend the change with Shalla-bal because she is a intersting character in her own right never read a Surfer comic. She had maybe a handful of story arcs involving her and most of them revolving around ways to write her and Zenn-La out of the Surfers life. Shalla Bal was always a crap character. Which is why I'm certain they are just going to give her Norran Radd's back story and personality.

I guess the current day Marvel comic writers are now going to have find some way to write her back into the Surfer's life to coincide with the movie.
    Last edited by mburns; 04-06-2024 at 11:46 AM.

Astonishing Member

I don’t know much about silver surfer or shala bell, so I don’t have an opinion on if this is a good idea story wise. More wondering how this alternate world stuff is going to work. If just the four of them come over it would be ‘believable’ enough, but how they blend moving from one world to another would probably be the most important story element.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    At least that’s consistent with their goal of having more more diverse characters, lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by Colossus1980 View Post
    Unfortunately the MCU thought most of their new IP's were going to be GOTG popular. It doesn't work that way. And the MCU was too stubborn to use new actors to replace the characters. It was getting too expensive to keep the mainstays.
    But it could very easily be the result of this instead.

Guardian of the Universe comicstar100's Avatar

Wink

I do wonder, if it was the other way around and a female character like Storm was changed to be a male how well that would go.....
    Last edited by comicstar100; 04-06-2024 at 12:32 PM.

Niffleheim

Quote Originally Posted by comicstar100 View Post
    I do wonder, if it was the other way around and a female character like Storm was changed to be a male how well that would go.....
    That would counter Marvel's objectives to have more representation so I don't see them doing that.
    "Dedra Meero is not just a woman in a men’s world, but a fascist in a world of fascists.” - Denise Gough

Extraordinary Member

To be honest I also don't think we need so many shared mantles but that's just me.
    I have no issue with it. I mean, at any given moment we have two Superman, Superboys, Robins, and Spider-Men. I don't think there's really any confusion about it, IMHO.

If the writing doesn't hold up, I think it is.
    IDK. With the exception of the superlative Kelly Thompson run on BW, for the most part it really hasn't since her initial debut.

I mean, if we're being totally equal-opportunity, it should be the same design even if it has boobs .
    Equal opportunity implies that the playing field has always been equal TBF.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post

The movies based Fury off of the Ultimates which was also alt earth. The movies haven't ever really fully followed the comics to a tee, but the point is that it's not a gender-bend like people are crying about.
    Love is for souls, not bodies.

Quote Originally Posted by comicstar100 View Post
    They already did that in Earth-1007 https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Ororo...e_(Earth-1007)
    Love is for souls, not bodies.