Page 544 of 775 FirstFirst ... 44444494534540541542543544545546547548554594644 ... LastLast
Results 8,146 to 8,160 of 11611

It's probably more a case of Jackman and Reynolds being really good friends and knowing the fanbase would love to see them together.

I'm not sure what you're talking about in regards to Blade? The only thing they've done is announce its being made, realease date and the star. How is that riding off the popularity of the Snipes films? Also, Disney didn't come up with the idea. Ali came to Feige with it.

Personally, I'm meh on Jackman returning. I liked him in the role but not hyped about his return.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Albert1981 View Post
    Am I the only one here who thinks this is a pretty desperate move by Disney/Marvel to capitalize on the popularity of characters that previously appeared in Marvel properties? I feel Disney inserting SO many popular non-MCU Marvel characters in their newest content feels like they're trying to recapture past glory in their new shows/movies. Don't get me wrong, I like and am happy for Jackman (and I think he will do a great job), but I thought his Wolverine's journey was complete. And I imagine having him and Reynolds in the same picture DOESN'T COME CHEAP. We already know that Thor 4 cost SO MUCH money to make because Disney/Marvel had to give over buckets of cash to the actors/actresses playing the Guardians and the Greek Gods (which was totally unnecessary in my opinion). I distinctly remember Kingdom X and MindofShadow saying how "grating" it was that this phase has been full of non-MCU Marvel characters showing up as cameos. I had thought that after Phase Four concluded later this year, Marvel would discontinue that tendency. But it's actually probably gonna get worse. And the stuff about Blade worries me as well. I feel like I'm the ONLY one on these threads that thought that Marvel Studios was trying to ride on the coattails of the previously successful Blade movies to build up anticipation and hype for this new one. Would people be as excited for a new Blade flick if that wasn't the case? I think Mahershala Ali is a GREAT actor, and there's a good chance Disney's gonna SQUANDER his talents because Marvel Studios can't get their **** together.
    I don't think it's desperate at all. It seems par for the course.

So far, all the Deadpool movies have featured major co-stars and the last movie had Cable.

Ultimately, the Deadpool movie will live or die on the strength of the filmmakers. The last Deadpool movie wasn't "great" and I think it could be much better IMO. This one will definitely come down to who Marvel chooses to direct the movie.

Thor 4 cost $250m but they made over $750m from it (discounting merchandise and other ancillary sources of income) so I think they're ok with that one.

Regarding Blade, I don't really have high hopes for the movie. I don't think Mahershala Ali is a good choice for that role because the man will be around 50 when it opens. I'm not sure he can bring the physicality to the role that Snipes did.
    Last edited by Username taken; 09-28-2022 at 10:26 AM.

Ultimate Member

It's probably more a case of Jackman and Reynolds being really good friends and knowing the fanbase would love to see them together.
    Exactly.

I didn't see it as being desperate at all, it just seemed like something that would have happened whether Fox or Disney made the movie.

Anyone. Anywhere.Anytime. Arsenal's Avatar

Has there really been that many non MCU marvel cameos? Out of the 15 phase 4 projects so far I can only think of 2 that had them (maybe 3 if you count Wandavision).

Quote Originally Posted by 80sbaby View Post

I'm not sure what you're talking about in regards to Blade? The only thing they've done is announce its being made, realease date and the star. How is that riding off the popularity of the Snipes films? Also, Disney didn't come up with the idea. Ali came to Feige with it.
    I don't remember Blade being a hugely popular character from the comic books, although I always thought he was cool as hell. The general public seemed to really enjoy Wesley's movies. Why do you think there's such a clamor for a "bloody" new version of the character? I believe audiences want a continuation (tonally) of the previous franchise. If there were no previous Blade movies, mainstream moviegoers would have no idea who this dude is. And you're right. Ali came to Feige with the pitch for a new take on the Blade character. And I think Feige accepted without really planning things out for it (maybe he was flattered that a two-time Oscar winner wanted to be a part of his cinematic universe).

I like Jackman, but my brother (who is a FAR bigger film buff than I am) thinks he's a ham. Seems like a nice guy though. I don't blame Patrick Stewart, Sam Waterston and Hugh Jackman returning to franchises that made them popular. They need to eat. I blame Hollywood studios for continuing to revive characters that already had their stories concluded. It's like in sports. You know how hard it is to finish on a high note? I don't know why Feige and company were so obsessed with bringing back Captain Picard and Wolverine into the MCU. It's just gonna make it harder for their successors to follow in their wake.

It's weird to see someone complaining about fan service when that's what the MCU was built on. Marvel Studios biggest issue is being a victim of their own success.

I don't remember Blade being a hugely popular character from the comic books, although I always thought he was cool as hell. The general public seemed to really enjoy Wesley's movies. Why do you think there's such a clamor for a "bloody" new version of the character? I believe audiences want a continuation (tonally) of the previous franchise. If there were no previous Blade movies, mainstream moviegoers would have no idea who this dude is. And you're right. Ali came to Feige with the pitch for a new take on the Blade character. And I think Feige accepted without really planning things out for it (maybe he was flattered that a two-time Oscar winner wanted to be a part of his cinematic universe).

I like Jackman, but my brother (who is a FAR bigger film buff than I am) think he's a ham. Seems like a nice guy though. I don't blame Patrick Stewart, Sam Waterston and Hugh Jackman returning to franchises that made them popular. They need to eat. I blame Hollywood studios for continuing to revive characters that already had their stories concluded. It's like in sports. You know how hard it is to finish on a high note? I don't know why Feige and company were so obsessed with bringing back Captain Picard and Wolverine into the MCU. It's just gonna make it harder for their successors to follow in their wake.
    I mean,yeah fans liked the original movies and I'm sure that does play a part in getting this film greenlit. But it's a bit hypocritical to see that as a negative for the MCU but then praise Cameron and Cruise who are doing an even more blatant form of riding the coattails of their previous successes. That's literally what a sequel is.

Jackman returning won't diminish Logan. It still exists. And again, why are you blaming Marvel? Fans want this, too and do you expect them to turn him down if he and Reynolds want this to happen? Anyone else they cast as Wolverine was ALWAYS going to be compared to Jackman, regardless. This just sounds like more "concern trolling" if I'm being honest.

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Exactly.

I didn't see it as being desperate at all, it just seemed like something that would have happened whether Fox or Disney made the movie.
    Yup! Ryan Reynolds has been talking about getting Jackman in Deadpool since the first film (it's even in both films!)bHe talks about it in the movies, interviews, his social media accounts, etc. But somehow it's a "desperate" move from Marvel? C'mon son! Lol

Phase Four non-MCU Marvel cameos (in my opinion): Quicksilver, Kingpin, Professor X, Black Bolt, Daredevil, Venom, Garfield's Spider-Man, Maguire's Spider-Man, and (I'm not including the villains from NWH). And to me the only time the fan service worked was in NWH. WandaVision, NWH, MoM, Hawkeye, and She-Hulk had non-MCU Marvel cameos. I think Thor 4 made money, but I don't think they will make another Thor 5 if the results are the same as L&T (even though I really liked it). As I said before, do you really believe mainstream audiences are eager for more Strange and Thor instalments after their latest ones came out this year? I liked Ms. Marvel and Shang-Chi because I felt they were doing something new and exploring different cultures/genres. And for the most part, I had no idea who the actors/actresses were in them (so I imagine they spent less of their budgets on their casts). I'm REALLY hoping Wakanda Forever does great, but it looks VERY expensive to me.

And speaking of Black Panther 2, I really think Wakanda Forever should have an "official" intermission. In the olden days, long-ass movies like Grand Prix and Lawrence of Arabia would give theatergoers a chance to go the john without missing anything because of intermissions, but now moviegoers can't drink any liquids before they watch Black Panther 2?! I mean, hell, even the NFL and MLB give their fans breaks in between quarters and innings.

One of the most iconic team-ups with Deadpool is Wolverine. It makes sense they'd want that to be with the most recognizable version of Wolverine (at the moment).

The only other one I can think of is Taskmaster and Spider-Man.
    Quote Originally Posted by Galerion View Post
    So she is fitting right in.

One of the biggest strength of Marvel was always never shying away from darker character traits of their characters which makes them more real.

The only one with a clean vest and a boy scout attitude is Captain America and that's makes him special and stand out from the rest.
    I mean, for a lot of the characters they've shied away from plenty of their more negative and darker qualities to make them more appealing to the general audiences and to make them likeable protagonists.

Just look at how much they toned down Iron Man in Civil War.

Whereas with Wanda they grab material from a story where she wasn't written well and then basically double-down on it...with the same writing issues.

Spider-Man is pretty clean.

Ultimate Member

Yup! Ryan Reynolds has been talking about getting Jackman in Deadpool since the first film (it's even in both films!)bHe talks about it in the movies, interviews, his social media accounts, etc. But somehow it's a "desperate" move from Marvel? C'mon son! Lol
    Yeah, they were both in X: Men Origins: Wolverine (LOLOLOL).

I wasn't even surprised to hear that Jackman is appearing in Deadpool 3.

Jackman and Reynolds have done a TON of "informal" stuff together. No surprise to see them finally doing Deadpool/Wolverine team-up (a proper one).

Niffleheim

Am I the only one here who thinks this is a pretty desperate move by Disney/Marvel to capitalize on the popularity of characters that previously appeared in Marvel properties? I feel Disney inserting SO many popular non-MCU Marvel characters in their newest content feels like they're trying to recapture past glory in their new shows/movies. Don't get me wrong, I like and am happy for Jackman (and I think he will do a great job), but I thought his Wolverine's journey was complete. And I imagine having him and Reynolds in the same picture DOESN'T COME CHEAP. We already know that Thor 4 cost SO MUCH money to make because Disney/Marvel had to give over buckets of cash to the actors/actresses playing the Guardians and the Greek Gods (which was totally unnecessary in my opinion). I distinctly remember Kingdom X and MindofShadow saying how "grating" it was that this phase has been full of non-MCU Marvel characters showing up as cameos. I had thought that after Phase Four concluded later this year, Marvel would discontinue that tendency. But it's actually probably gonna get worse. Any appearances by these characters are just short-term fixes. The chances of disappointment are HUGE. And the stuff about Blade worries me as well. I feel like I'm the ONLY one on these threads that thought that Marvel Studios was trying to ride on the coattails of the previously successful Blade movies to build up anticipation and hype for this new one. Would people be as excited for a new Blade flick if that wasn't the case? I think Mahershala Ali is a GREAT actor, and there's a good chance Disney's gonna SQUANDER his talents because Marvel Studios can't get their **** together.

I know James Cameron and Tom Cruise are somewhat controversial personalities in Hollywood, but I think they're definitely putting way more passion and care into the projects they're working on than Marvel Studios are these days. I feel the Avatar and Mission Impossible franchises are in great hands. MCU projects use to represent the best blockbusters Hollywood had to offer not that long ago, but I think 2022 has been absolutely MID for the franchise thus far. People are still talking and buzzing about TGM and EEAAO right NOW. People stopped giving two shits about Strange 2 and Thor 4 ten days after each of them were released! I'm REALLY hoping Wakanda Forever turns things around.
    We already knew Deadpool was getting a third movie and since we're in the Multiverse Saga right now a movie that continues or concludes an already existing X-Men universe doesn't seem that out of place or desperate because the Spidey Universe already did that.
    "Dedra Meero is not just a woman in a men’s world, but a fascist in a world of fascists.” - Denise Gough

I'm happy for Hugh Jackman and Ryan Reynolds, and I'm sure they'll have great chemistry and make a great film. Is this something I wanted? To be honest, no. I've been checked out of the Fox X-Men universe for years. As great as Hugh's Wolverine/Logan character was, his over exposure is one of the things that killed my interest in the X-Men brand for years. That universe was "Wolverine with some X-Men" Then it became Mystique with some X-Men, it was a mess. So truthfully a part of me is a pretty bitter for petty reasons. But I'm hopeful when the MCU finally does get their X-Men out they will learn from the mistakes of Fox and deliver a true X-Men team with all their stories. I'm happy for everyone excited for this, and I enjoyed the last two Deadpool movies so I will watch this one with no bias, it's just not making me scream with nostalgia joy.

I mean,yeah fans liked the original movies and I'm sure that does play a part in getting this film greenlit. But it's a bit hypocritical to see that as a negative for the MCU but then praise Cameron and Cruise who are doing an even more blatant form of riding the coattails of their previous successes. That's literally what a sequel is.

Jackman returning won't diminish Logan. It still exists. And again, why are you blaming Marvel? Fans want this, too and do you expect them to turn him down if he and Reynolds want this to happen? Anyone else they cast as Wolverine was ALWAYS going to be compared to Jackman, regardless. This just sounds like more "concern trolling" if I'm being honest.
    But to be fair, there was a LONG duration between the Avatar and Top Gun sequels. And you don't have to watch THAT many movies to get the picture for the latest instalments. In regards to Mission Impossible, yeah, that franchise has been around for a long time. BUT...each new instalment seems to be actually IMPROVING and getting more popular. Besides, I think Tom is done with MI after the next two movies come out. And they might actually do better than some of the Marvel movies in the next few years, we'll have to see. Look, I absolutely HATED No Time to Dies. I thought it was the WORST film in the James Bond franchise, but at least it wrapped things up for Daniel Craig's version of the character. I dunno, I think ENDINGS have potency. They carry weight. Just because stuff "can" happen in the MCU, doesn't mean they "should" happen. I guess I'm like that Damon Lindelof dude. He said "People don't want things to end. I do".

I agree comparisons will always be there between the two Logans (IF the MCU brings in another version of Wolverine). But I think time helps a little bit? Let's just say the "new" Wolverine comes back in 2027, that'll be a full ten years after Logan "retired" Jackman's version of the character. I always felt that Tobey's and Andrew's versions were bunched too close together and that sort of hurt Garfield's interpretation of Spidey. Sure it's easy for me to talk because I have no financial skin in the game, but I would have taken a chance and brought in COMPLETELY new casts for any new MCU versions of the Fox/Sony/ABC/Netflix versions of previous Marvel characters. That way the writers and producers aren't beholden or burdened by stuff that came before. I thought the first three phases were great because they felt "new" and "fresh" to me.