Page 336 of 775 FirstFirst ... 236286326332333334335336337338339340346386436 ... LastLast
Results 5,026 to 5,040 of 11617
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderfan001 View Post
    I may be mistaken but didn't we already get multicultural live action FF core team before?
    If so I def. see Marvel going that route
    Not really. I mean…the Josh Trank FF film had only one POC and Alba(who played Sue in the Tim Story movies) I don’t consider a POC as she’s mostly of white European heritage
    "I love mankind...it's people I can't stand!!"

- Charles Schultz.

Quote Originally Posted by Amadeus Arkham View Post
    Not really. I mean…the Josh Trank FF film had only one POC and Alba(who played Sue in the Tim Story movies) I don’t consider a POC as she’s mostly of white European heritage
    Jessica Alba is biracial.

I can understand not wanting characters changed. Instead of taking a white person and making them a PoC, why not use the actual PoC characters that Marvel owns? It can feel almost like Marvel doesn't believe that, say, Luke Cage is worthy of the MCU treatment, but a white guy is and to meet the diversity quotas they'll just cast a PoC in the role. That could stink of pandering.

And comic fans love the characters as they are and it's understandable that they'd want as accurate an adaptation as possible. It's not necessarily about any kind of bigotry so much as just wanting the thing you love to remain the same. A lot of the posters here who speak out against race bending will also talk about how much they enjoy characters like Kamala or Monica or Blade. They're not racist so much as they just don't see the reason to change established IP's.

But I can't say I agree with the notion. While Marvel does have a decent roster of PoC, it's still a pretty small sample size compared to their white characters. And a lot of those PoC/minorities don't get the kind of development and page time their white peers do, meaning they offer less for adaptations, are less popular, etc. And since the MCU isn't the 616 and make changes to all kinds of things all the time, from story beats to origins to supporting cast and everything else, so I don't see a little race bending as a big deal.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I can understand not wanting characters changed. Instead of taking a white person and making them a PoC, why not use the actual PoC characters that Marvel owns? It can feel almost like Marvel doesn't believe that, say, Luke Cage is worthy of the MCU treatment, but a white guy is and to meet the diversity quotas they'll just cast a PoC in the role. That could stink of pandering.
    I agree with some of your post, but how would that stink of pandering meanwhile creating an MCU Avengers team that was [initially] 100% white, 100% heterosexual, and 83% male doesn't? We only hear complaints about pandering when a minority creeps into the mix. Pandering to straight white males is totally fine, and not at all cause for concern?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Husk View Post
    I forgot she had Mexican father. Interestingly she’s 13% Native American and 87% White.

Even though she’s Mexican they still try to make her look like white woman with that awful wig or blue dye job and blue contacts.
    "I love mankind...it's people I can't stand!!"

- Charles Schultz.

I forgot she had Mexican father. Interestingly she’s 13% Native American and 87% White.

Even though she’s Mexican they still try to make her look like white woman with that awful wig or blue dye job and blue contacts.
    To be fair, she raises an interesting point in that European doesn't mean white. The continent is predominantly white but there are several countries in which that isn't the case, such as Spain and Turkey.

Extraordinary Member

25/50% of the main 4 were "diverse".I think that's a good ratio considering one guys a rock monster who if were a POC no one would consider it.

I thought I heard that but didn't remember, thanks.

Whilst most people didn't like it, Fantastic Four has made Johnny a POC before. Sue was European (albeit still played by an American). They just made them adopted. As they were still siblings, nothing about the dynamic between them had to change.

If it doesn't alter the story or character relations then there shouldn't be an issue with updating these characters to be more representative of the world they inhabit.
    They can do it, honestly I want to see more of the family dynamic in MCU.And a good Doom

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post

And comic fans love the characters as they are and it's understandable that they'd want as accurate an adaptation as possible. It's not necessarily about any kind of bigotry so much as just wanting the thing you love to remain the same. A lot of the posters here who speak out against race bending will also talk about how much they enjoy characters like Kamala or Monica or Blade. They're not racist so much as they just don't see the reason to change established IP's.

But I can't say I agree with the notion. While Marvel does have a decent roster of PoC, it's still a pretty small sample size compared to their white characters. And a lot of those PoC/minorities don't get the kind of development and page time their white peers do, meaning they offer less for adaptations, are less popular, etc. And since the MCU isn't the 616 and make changes to all kinds of things all the time, from story beats to origins to supporting cast and everything else, so I don't see a little race bending as a big deal.

I can see both sides of this debate. You are correct in that its not like Marvel doesn't have a lot of characters that are POC. But then on the other hand they wait to roll these characters out like Black Panther or Luke Cage, or Blade or Shang chi. But then just looking at things sometimes I think I mean why change a characters race just for the sake of it. Sometimes I admit I don't really get it. I mean do you need to change Iron Fist? Or Nick Fury? Or Werewolf by night? Why can't you come up with new characters? Other characters? Like they did with Ms. Marvel and Kamala Khan? It seems marvel or dc or whatever want the branding of a particular character, so that work doesnt have to be put in. So then you switch the race or something. But to me a original character like Shang Chi has much more impact than someone saying hey lets make Iron Fist who has been white for 50 years, an Asian. That just seems lazy and not authentic and just pandering.. Ahh well. My two cents.

Extraordinary Member

I don't what to talk to much about real life history,dna etc..but since a few mention it i just want to clear up somethings,so allow me.

Jessica alba took another dna test years later on another show.
    In another dna test in she had african and larger native american background.
    The european part of her was closer to 70% i think.
    George lopez has some african dna but most of his dna is european too,but i would not call him white and he clearly is not white and does not look it.

This was posted awhile back in a another forum.

Jessica alba dna is mostly european but she is brown,not white.
    I think most brown latinos in real life have more european white dna anyway,and most other brown types dna is closer to white europeans(most of the time not in comics,superhero cartoons and live action sci-fi,superhero stuff etc.. by the way).

If that's case then most brown latinos etc.. are really white?
    No they are brown(intermediate race types) that pseudo scientist like to still call caucasians/brown caucasians.
    If that's the case then kamala khan,most arabs,most indians(india) are really caucasians/brown caucasians and common sense folks know that's non-sense and has been debunked.
    Like i said they intermediate,not brown caucasians.
    No such thing as a brown caucasian.

Phenotype is more important then dna.
    If a cop arrest you they don't ask care what you dna is when they put down your race.
    They put down what you look like. Some Folks are getting to carried anyway with dna test. Heck there have been a few blacks that are more european in dna and they stiill look black.
    Are you going to tell me they are a really white if have more modern european recent dna if they look black? No they are still black because phenotypes more important then dna.
    Dna is important but not as important then phenotype.
    Note- jessica alba in another dna test show she does have some african dna,so they dna testing result could be diffenent from different companies,so keep that in mind.
    The first europeans and the first european dna are from black europeans by the way.
    By the way jessica cruz green lantern is not a brown caucasian.
    One person in the dc forum green lantern john stewart forum was trying to jessica cruz,sam nova,kamala khan are caucasian or brown caucasian but they were debunked and are wrong.
    Here are the links.

https://community.cbr.com/showthread...on-2020/page27

and

THREAD: JESSICA CRUZ: GREEN LANTERN APPRECIATION THREAD 2020
    https://community.cbr.com/showthread...on-2020/page27
    Last edited by mace11; 11-07-2021 at 05:17 PM.

Noticeably, that DNA test only offered 4 categories which doesn't offer enough information to begin with.

Some DNA tests point to Europe if they don't have enough test base for certain races or ethnicities.

It depends on their sample base. And often times enough they are incorrect. There have been identical twins with drastically different results.

It's mostly for entertainment purposes.
    Love is for souls, not bodies.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by davetvs View Post
    I agree with some of your post, but how would that stink of pandering meanwhile creating an MCU Avengers team that was [initially] 100% white, 100% heterosexual, and 83% male doesn't? We only hear complaints about pandering when a minority creeps into the mix. Pandering to straight white males is totally fine, and not at all cause for concern?
    It comes down to MONEY and merchandise.

I toss out Steve, Hulk, Tony, Hawkeye, Thor, Peter Parker and Black Widow as Avengers. Heck lets toss in Wanda & Vision as well.

You will hear chirps of complaints. Yet come opening night those SAME complainers are buying tickets-like Michael B Jordan said.
    I go to the stores-I have ZERO issue getting access to ALL stuff Avengers.

Now lets do Avengers again and use Falcon, Brawn, Riri, Jane Foster, Miles, Sam Alexander, Kamala Khan, Vison and Kate Bishop.

Open the flood gates of complaints. And folks will LOOK for a reason to NOT go like they are with Eternals as that post from youtube I listed earlier. Heck I heard those same complaints at the comic con I was at YESTERDAY (It was NOT from the comic pros).

Then lets look at merchandise now before Black Panther (and even Finn in Star wars)-it would be a BATTLE to find POC lead stuff in stores. That was not Lando from Star Wars, The Rock, Shelton Benjamin, Bobby Lashley, Kofi (pre New Day), Booker T, or Usos from WWE or Teen Titans Go Cyborg.

Trank's Fantastic Four did a promotion with Crush-they had the cast on soda can. Guess who was the hardest to find? Michael B Jordan's Cherry Soda. I found 2 12 packs at Fiesta Mart. A Hispanic owned chain in Texas. Nobody else had them.

Cyborg in Justice League (not the movie but comic)-He got left off a LOT of stuff. As did Wonder Woman and Aquaman.

Remember Marvel Rising? Guess who never got his doll on store shelves. Patriot. Marvel Legend Riri Williams & Miles Morales-have YET to make it to a shelf.

They pander to the white male because none of the above happens.

It can feel almost like Marvel doesn't believe that, say, Luke Cage is worthy of the MCU treatment, but a white guy is and to meet the diversity quotas they'll just cast a PoC in the role. That could stink of pandering.
    It comes down to this-how much WORK and FIGHTING do you want to do?

It's not that Luke Cage is unworthy-it's Luke Cage is a tougher sell than say Night Man.

Go ask Milestone what they went through with Static Shock. Warner Brothers wanted him WHITE.
    Go ask Anthony Montgomery. Who got told his comic was nothing but Ben 10 in black face by Cartoon Network.

Most folks do NOT want to do that work.

They will tolerate trolls throwing fits about a black Johnny Storm or Mary Jane Watson.

I suppose to bring that point to an end, despite playing a white Sue Storm, Jessica Alba is herself not a white woman. Lol.

Extraordinary Member

By the way in comics,dc and marvel etc..from the west(america)there have been alot poc superheroes created overtime.
    So it's not small.

Black superheroes in comics in america are not underrepresented.
    They are about the same percentage as in real life.
    Some say blacks are overrepresented in comics.

When it comes to Latinos this one is tricky.
    Latinos as awhole are or could be underrepresented,but that's because most latinos in america are white and most see themselves as white so there are consequences for that.
    Most latinos in comics are shown to be poc and that group of latinos are not underrepresented.
    If there was true latino representation in american made comics then most latinos would have to be white and shown as such.
    So white latino are underrepresented, but poc latinos are are not.

Marvel native american representation seem to be closer to real life census of native americans in america but not dc comics.
    DC is where native americans are underrepresented,not marvel.
    Same thing for asians but dc comics and cartoons and live action has better asian representation then native american over the years.

Lionforge comics is new recent american comic company and most of the superheroes there are poc by the way.

DC and Marvel comics are highly diverse with varied powerset levels etc...They are more diverse then dc and marvel movies on average.The dc and marvel shows are more diverse then dc and marvel movies too on average.The new black female ironman is really called iron-heart by the way.Tony stark is still around.There are alot of black,asian and latino superheroes in dc and marvel comics and other comics in the u.s.
    There are alot of brown and some native american superheroes too in comics.So a lot of poc superheroes are in comics in the u.s. and worldwide like asia, latin america,africa,europe etc..It's growing.
    There are other superhero comics/companies that are from the americas, latin america,africa,native american,arab,asian,europe etc..etc.. as well.
    Last edited by mace11; 11-07-2021 at 12:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mace11 View Post
    By the way in comics,dc and marvel etc..from the west(america)there have been alot poc superheroes created overtime.
    So it's not small.

Black superheroes in comics in america are not underrepresented.
    They are about the same percentage as in real life.
    Some say blacks are overrepresented in comics.

When it comes to Latinos this one is tricky.
    Latinos as awhole are or could be underrepresented,but that's because most latinos in america are white and most see themselves as white so there are consequences for that.
    Most latinos in comics are shown to be poc are that group of latinos are not underrepresented.
    If there was true latino representation in american made comics then most latinos would have to be white and shown as such.
    So white latino are underrepresented, but poc latinos are are not.

Marvel native american representation seem to be closer to real life census of native americans in america but not dc comics.
    DC is where native americans are underrepresented,not marvel.
    Same thing for asians but dc comics and cartoons and live action has better asian representation then native american over the years.
    For the Latino community, shouldn't that be white presenting. Ethnically, they're still Latino. Racially, they're white presenting.