Page 334 of 773 FirstFirst ... 234284324330331332333334335336337338344384434 ... LastLast
Results 4,996 to 5,010 of 11585
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Chris0013 View Post
    Marvel has enough diverse characters in their library that they shouldn't need to race or gender swap anyone. How about just using those characters.
    Meh, it’s fine. Characters like Eternals isn’t iconic whatsoever, so I don’t think it’s a huge deal if some members get race swapped or gender bent.
    "I love mankind...it's people I can't stand!!"

- Charles Schultz.

Astonishing Member Force de Phenix's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Amadeus Arkham View Post
    Meh, it’s fine. Characters like Eternals isn’t iconic whatsoever, so I don’t think it’s a huge deal if some members get race swapped or gender bent.
    "Iconic" is irrelevant. I think most characters could be race/gender swapped and it wouldn't matter. Doctor Strange could've been changed, and it wouldn't have made a difference in the story for example.

Finally watched Loki. Easily the best of the Disney+ shows so far. Looking forward to season 2 and can't wait for Kang in Ant Man

Marvel has enough diverse characters in their library that they shouldn't need to race or gender swap anyone. How about just using those characters.
    And how would any of those specific characters fit in to the Eternals mythos? It makes sense that immortal characters wouldn't be white at all as that's a later period of human development from when they arrived as that was a genetic evolution of moving north into colder, cloudier regions. In this case, they represent a cross section of the civilisation they're tasked with protecting from the Deviants. That's a perfect opportunity to update these characters and some are much better off because of it, particularly Makkari.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Force de Phenix View Post
    "Iconic" is irrelevant. I think most characters could be race/gender swapped and it wouldn't matter. Doctor Strange could've been changed, and it wouldn't have made a difference in the story for example.
    So they could cast a white actors and actresses to play characters like Storm, Luke Cage, White Tiger, or Living Lightning and it would be OK?

Quote Originally Posted by Husk View Post
    And how would any of those specific characters fit in to the Eternals mythos? It makes sense that immortal characters wouldn't be white at all as that's a later period of human development from when they arrived as that was a genetic evolution of moving north into colder, cloudier regions. In this case, they represent a cross section of the civilisation they're tasked with protecting from the Deviants. That's a perfect opportunity to update these characters and some are much better off because of it, particularly Makkari.
    The point I am making is don't change the Eternals for the sake of diversity in a movie. Keep them as they are and make a different movie (or TV show) with diverse characters. As far as Makkari...Eternals can regenerate from just about any injury short of being disintigrated...so why would she be deaf?
    Last edited by Chris0013; 11-07-2021 at 03:09 AM.

So they could cast a white actors and actresses to play characters like Storm, Luke Cage, White Tiger, or Living Lightning and it would be OK?

The point I am making is don't change the Eternals for the sake of diversity in a movie. Keep them as they are and make a different movie (or TV show) with diverse characters. As far as Makkari...Eternals can regenerate from just about any injury short of being disintigrated...so why would she be deaf?
    That's not how the movies plays their powers, so contextually it works that Makkari is deaf. When people complain about diversity, it seems odd to me. There's nothing detrimental to the character about not having them be cisgendered white men. Makkari is still Makkari and Sprite is still Sprite. I've not seen many people complaining about Kingo being Indian rather than Japanese or that Ikaris has a Scottish accent and Druig has an Irish one. No one is bemoaning the fact that Ikaris isn't canon accurate in appearance either since he's at least being played by a white man.

Why are some adaptive changes an issue when others aren't?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Husk View Post
    That's not how the movies plays their powers, so contextually it works that Makkari is deaf. When people complain about diversity, it seems odd to me. There's nothing detrimental to the character about not having them be cisgendered white men. Makkari is still Makkari and Sprite is still Sprite. I've not seen many people complaining about Kingo being Indian rather than Japanese or that Ikaris has a Scottish accent and Druig has an Irish one. No one is bemoaning the fact that Ikaris isn't canon accurate in appearance either since he's at least being played by a white man.

Why are some adaptive changes an issue when others aren't?
    I think they are all an issue. I want the characters adapted to movies and TV as close to the source material as possible.

Why can't Sprite be an adult? Why can't all of them fly in the MCU? Maybe the movie is saying that it's just the way Makkari is, instead of it being a defect. Which is a refreshing take. Not that we can't show the disadvantages, but it's certainly good to see this for once.

I think they are all an issue. I want the characters adapted to movies and TV as close to the source material as possible.
    Why? The characterization of these characters is the highlight of the movie, and all the actors are incredibly compelling (apart from Sersi and Dane if you ask me).
    Last edited by Alpha; 11-07-2021 at 04:57 AM.

Of course not, we already have enough white superheroes. A better question would be, "could we make Luke Cage a middle eastern man?"

To which I would say "we probably shouldn't", but I don't have a strong reason why.
    Last edited by Alpha; 11-07-2021 at 05:02 AM.

I don't think we'll ever get to an actual answer to a question like that. It's like people purposely ignore that the MCU is an AU and not everything is going to be the same...the comics are right there if all you're interested in is 616. It is "funny" that the changes that draw the most ire are typically "This character was white, now they're not," even though the MCU has probably made 100 changes from the source material by now, big, medium, and small. White men are used to being pandered to and having the bulk of positive representation in the superhero genre focused on them, but can't seem to understand that other types of people deserve to see themselves represented heroically too.
    Last edited by davetvs; 11-07-2021 at 05:02 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    Of course not, we already have enough white superheroes. A better question would be, "could we make Luke Cage a middle eastern man?"

To which I would say "we probably shouldn't", but I don't have a strong reason why.
    If it is not OK to whitewash a character who is a POC (something that should piss us all off)...why would it be OK to make a traditionally white character a POC? Why not just create content that features Marvel's traditionally non-white characters.

Quote Originally Posted by davetvs View Post
    I don't think we'll ever get to an actual answer to a question like that. It's like people purposely ignore that the MCU is an AU and not everything is going to be the same...the comics are right there if all you're interested in is 616. It is "funny" that the changes that draw the most ire are typically "This character was white, now they're not," even though the MCU has probably made 100 changes from the source material by now, big, medium, and small. White men are used to being pandered to and having the bulk of positive representation in the superhero genre focused on them, but can't seem to understand that other types of people deserve to see themselves represented heroically too.
    That is what I want...but I want Marvel to use the characters they have who have represented those demographics to do it.

Extraordinary Member

Let's keep mind there are eternals who are diverse(i seen the marvel wiki list) but most of the most known ones before the new recent comics and mcu movie were not poc and women.

The eternals who are diverse and less known before recent comics and the new movie could have replaced the more known ones who are not women and poc but they decide not to that and they change the race/gender swap some of more famous ones.

They did that for some of the inhumans royal family in the inhumans show but they are inhumans who are women and poc who are not in royal family in comics.

DC has done more race and gender swapping in comics and live action then marvel by the way(rebooting characters over and over again etc..)
    Last edited by mace11; 11-07-2021 at 06:03 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Why ‘Eternals’ Is Dividing Audiences
    https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/mo...re-1235043681/
    You could read other views here.
    https://forums.superherohype.com/thr...556972/page-29

Astonishing Member Force de Phenix's Avatar

If it is not OK to whitewash a character who is a POC (something that should piss us all off)...why would it be OK to make a traditionally white character a POC? Why not just create content that features Marvel's traditionally non-white characters.

That is what I want...but I want Marvel to use the characters they have who have represented those demographics to do it.
    The blank slate for everything was "white male." So most characters are white because that was the generic thing to do, not because they had a specific purpose for being white. If a character wasn't a white male, they usually had an extra characteristic they wanted to address where a white male wouldn't fit in the story, like Luke Cage or Storm.

I was bothered by the fact that Sersi and others had to run and didn't use super strength, but they've nerfed many characters.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Force de Phenix View Post
    Funny thing about Doctor Strange, according Kurt Buseik’s observations Strange was originally drawn by Steve Ditko as Asian but was eventually changed to Caucasian over time. I kind of find that fascinating. I think there was a missed opportunity to cast a Asian actor in that role, but I still like Cumberbatch in that role. I’m You know you are correct it technically wouldn’t matter for most white characters but with certain white characters like Thor he kind of needs to look like an Aryan Adonis with the blonde hair and blue eyes and so does Steve Rogers but for the most part a lot of these character’s races are pretty immaterial to their characters, and could be changed.
    Last edited by Amadeus Arkham; 11-07-2021 at 06:34 AM.
    "I love mankind...it's people I can't stand!!"

- Charles Schultz.