Page 777 of 777 FirstFirst ... 277677727767773774775776777
Results 11,641 to 11,648 of 11648

Marvel killed off their most popular female character with Black Widow. Then Wanda became the most popular female character and they killed her off too. Even Gamora, who's never been at that level of popularity, was still well-liked and beloved but they killed her off too. The MCU hasn't had a good track record with their actresses returning. ScarJo probably won't ever come back after her lawsuit against Disney. Elizabeth Olsen has publicly stated that she wasn't happy with how they villainized Wanda. Zoe Saldana has also said she's done with franchises.

Ironic that with Carol, they're keeping her around, despite her headlining the world's biggest box office disaster. Even as someone who loves her in the comics, I have zero interest in her in the MCU.

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis-Ray View Post
    Doesn't help that her appearance in Endgame was overhyped, despite all the build-up and advertisement she was barely relevant to the movie. Carol is a perfect showcase of how you can misuse and waste a character.
    They should have made her part of the main team rather than in space for most of the action. But I know they didn't do that because they wanted this movie to be a farewell to the existing characters rather than introduce a new one. Endgame failed to set her up as a character, especially since it was written before her solo film. They left her a blank slate so the solo film could characterize her but that kept her amnesiac so we don't really see the real Carol until the end.

Quote Originally Posted by whitecrown View Post
    Marvel killed off their most popular female character with Black Widow. Then Wanda became the most popular female character and they killed her off too. Even Gamora, who's never been at that level of popularity, was still well-liked and beloved but they killed her off too. The MCU hasn't had a good track record with their actresses returning. ScarJo probably won't ever come back after her lawsuit against Disney. Elizabeth Olsen has publicly stated that she wasn't happy with how they villainized Wanda. Zoe Saldana has also said she's done with franchises.

Ironic that with Carol, they're keeping her around, despite her headlining the world's biggest box office disaster. Even as someone who loves her in the comics, I have zero interest in her in the MCU.
    Scarjo have already comeback with her movie produced the Haunted House and have a project with Marvel, so he seem they don't have a bad blood between them

https://gamerant.com/scarlett-johans...ropped-online/

Sorry I'm curious but why you have no interest in Carol in the MCU ?

Quote Originally Posted by Geraldofrivia View Post
    Monica and Kamla are the other part of the problem

Dr Strange got Multiverse, Thor got Christian Bale as villain, and Antman got Kang, the next Big bad, meanwhile the entire selling points of Marvels was Carol teaming up with unknown Disney plus characters in a silly body swapping adventure.
    But the Young Avengers!

Quote Originally Posted by Bolo View Post
    Scarjo have already comeback with her movie produced the Haunted House and have a project with Marvel, so he seem they don't have a bad blood between them

https://gamerant.com/scarlett-johans...ropped-online/

Sorry I'm curious but why you have no interest in Carol in the MCU ?
    That's good to hear and hopefully that means she can come back one day too. MCU Widow is the opposite of my feelings for Carol where I never liked Widow in the comics but I grew to like her in the movies. Which is partially because she was the only female character for so long.

I don't think the MCU has ever had great writing for female characters. I like Widow and Gamora but they're quite interchangeable in the sense that the MCU didn't seem to know how to write female characters who weren't action heroines throwing out quips all the time. Characters like Wanda and Mantis, who didn't fit that mold, were mostly sidelined. Wanda didn't really get her due until WandaVision but the second she was back in a movie, they destroyed her character. In Carol's case, I feel like she's mostly personality-less. In her first movie, I thought this was mainly because she was amnesiac for all of it until the end, so I made allowances but ever since then, I still feel like they have no handle on the character and who she is. Just very generic and bland. I feel bad for Brie Larson because they haven't given her good material and I'm not surprised to hear she's tired of the hate from fans and wants to quit.

Quote Originally Posted by whitecrown View Post
    That's good to hear and hopefully that means she can come back one day too. MCU Widow is the opposite of my feelings for Carol where I never liked Widow in the comics but I grew to like her in the movies. Which is partially because she was the only female character for so long.

I don't think the MCU has ever had great writing for female characters. I like Widow and Gamora but they're quite interchangeable in the sense that the MCU didn't seem to know how to write female characters who weren't action heroines throwing out quips all the time. Characters like Wanda and Mantis, who didn't fit that mold, were mostly sidelined. Wanda didn't really get her due until WandaVision but the second she was back in a movie, they destroyed her character. In Carol's case, I feel like she's mostly personality-less. In her first movie, I thought this was mainly because she was amnesiac for all of it until the end, so I made allowances but ever since then, I still feel like they have no handle on the character and who she is. Just very generic and bland. I feel bad for Brie Larson because they haven't given her good material and I'm not surprised to hear she's tired of the hate from fans and wants to quit.
    Sadly I agree. Almost all of the solo outings had male leads and even female supporting characters and villains were generally wasted. Sif was an afterthought in Thor movies and Amora didn't even appear once. Most people liked Hela in Ragnarok but she was a scene chewing type of villain with almost no emotional depth. Pepper in IM movies also didn't have much of an arc and we saw Rescue only once during Endgame. Peggy Carter was quickly forgotten after the first Cap movie and Sharon Carter turned into a shady dealer by the time of FatWS. The best female character MCU has right now is Kamala in my opinion but she alone wasn't enough to save Marvels. I hope MCU figures this out until F4 and especially X-men comes into play.

Quote Originally Posted by Doom'nGloom View Post
    Sadly I agree. Almost all of the solo outings had male leads and even female supporting characters and villains were generally wasted. Sif was an afterthought in Thor movies and Amora didn't even appear once. Most people liked Hela in Ragnarok but she was a scene chewing type of villain with almost no emotional depth. Pepper in IM movies also didn't have much of an arc and we saw Rescue only once during Endgame. Peggy Carter was quickly forgotten after the first Cap movie and Sharon Carter turned into a shady dealer by the time of FatWS. The best female character MCU has right now is Kamala in my opinion but she alone wasn't enough to save Marvels. I hope MCU figures this out until F4 and especially X-men comes into play.
    Sif is entirely wasted and pretty much a non-entity. Hela, I had high hopes for because of Cate Blanchett, but she was a one-and-done villain. That still shocks me because on the eve of Infinity War, I thought the natural plan was to introduce Hela to make her part of Thanos' endgame. Ironically enough, the best writing for Hela has been in the Marvel What If? series. Amora's exclusion disappointed me until seeing how poorly Sif and Hela were treated, making me think she's better off. I've also heard that Rene Russo did not want to come back for Thor: The Dark World as Frigga but was promised a very large part. However, the final film mostly scrapped her scenes and I think she wasn't told she was being killed off or something like that. I will say that Rene Russo had one of the best scenes in Endgame but that only further shows how they wasted a veteran actress like her.

Pepper never seemed to have any role besides being Iron Man's girlfriend. Peggy actually I do think was done well and I've always liked her. I think she was the best written Marvel heroine for a long time and it's based on the goodwill I had for the character from just one movie (the first Cap movie) that I tuned in for both seasons of Agent Carter when they came out. It felt like a treat every time she had a cameo in subsequent films. But Peggy is another character who got better treatment on TV, between Agent Carter and with the Marvel What If? series. She said she was super disappointed at her role in MoM and how she was only used to be killed off and would rather not appear again in live-action since she's content with the animated show. The trend I'm noticing is that most of these female characters only thrive in the TV shows, like Wanda, Peggy, Hela, etc.

Sharon's arc really confused me. Civil War seems to be geared towards setting up Steve and Sharon but that gets dropped really quickly and she never appears in the movies again. Didn't understand why she had changed so much in FatWS and have no idea when she's next set to appear in a project. Ironically enough, I only watched FatWS because of her and Zemo. As for Ms. Marvel, I've come to the point that the young fanboy/fangirl characters like her and Tom Holland's Spider-Man have become very grating. They can't seem to progress beyond jokes and freaking out over being next to their idols and there's only so many times that can work before becoming stale fast.

I see your point but I disagree, lot of females characters have been well written, I find Wanda fantastic, for me it's logical she have became a villain, it's the case mutliples times in the comics, I find their works for Shuri and specially Okoye very good, I mean they made Okoye an important figure when she was very minor in the comics, I find She-hulk, Echo, Natasha and her sister, Kate Bishop and her mother, but also the Valkyrie and Hela very good too, Hela have far more charisma and personnality that Thanos imo.

I think this problem is more a comics adaptation problem in general, you have taken Gamora like an example but every members of the Guardians have been underwritten, it's more a James Gunn problem.

About Carol, in The Marvels she have more developpement, but in the same time it's rarely about her and just her, she seem to don't care about her own family when it's an important part in the comics, honestly I blame the reboot in the comics about this problem too, Carol is not really the same since Deconnick, the good thing it's Marvel could always create an alternate Warbird/Ms Marvel thanks to multiverse stories.