Page 457 of 472 FirstFirst ... 357407447453454455456457458459460461467 ... LastLast
Results 6,841 to 6,855 of 7075
  1. #6841
    Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    4,400

    Default

    Congratulations to Namor on potentially being the MCU's first slutty superhero! If anyone was gonna break the mold, it needed to be him with a speedo.

    Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    Atlanteans haven't always been Hispanic?
    I always figured that the blue skin was some kind of racists coloring thing.
    Native Americas are red skinned.
    Asians are yellow skinned.
    Hispanic are blue skinned.

    Was I wrong all this time?
    Yes? LOL. I'm not really sure where the connection between being hispanic and blue even comes from. I don't think Marvel Comics ever implied this.

    If anything, there is an argument to be made that Namor was only ever asian-coded, specially in earlier comics. There is one particular infamous anti-asian comic (from that time in which comics were basically war propaganda) in which he pretended to be japanese to infiltrate enemy territory. He's been drawn with what has been perceived as asian-like features a number of times over the years, which led to a lot of popular asian fancastings for him.

    I still think they should've cast him asian as pretty much an apology letter to those racist ass comics from the past, but I'm fine with the whole aztec thing, I guess.
    Last edited by Drops Of Venus; 05-23-2022 at 11:03 AM.

  2. #6842
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    1,531

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by inisideguy View Post
    The MCU is the most successful movie franchise in the history of the world. So they are doing something that people like. Even if the hardcore comics fans don't like many of the things they do.
    If Namor doesn't blow up like a puffer fish, then Kevin Feige is literally pissing on Jack Kirby's grave.

    https://www.cbr.com/namor-fantastic-...e-puffer-fish/

    Or we can realize that not everything from the comics was gold, and modern adaptions can be a little choosey in what they bring to the screen.

  3. #6843
    Moderator Frontier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    86,799

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MaximoffTrash View Post
    Are they trying to avoid being compared to Aquaman or something?
    I always think the best way to distinguish Marvel's Atlantis from DC's is to introduce Atlantis and Lemuria as a package deal, also make Atlanteans/Lemurians more alien and inhuman aesthetics wise. Especially Lemurians, they can straight up make them more akin to Lovecraftian deep ones.(Yeah, yeah, Aquaman kinda did that as well with the Trench, but Marvel can pull a "Civilized Cultists" spin on them, yes, they worshipped the ancient Serpent God Set, but they are mostly just going on about their business and such.)
    I thought they were going to go full villain Namor to differentiate from Aquaman.
    Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    yup, queue the millions of tweets, youtube vids, and think pieces that say "SJW's have run amok" and "go woke go broke" bullshit
    Honestly it just seems disingenous to me to graft onto Atlantis traits of another culture and call it a day instead of, like, actually using characters associated with that culture.

    Like they can't do something with White Tiger? They just did a whole Lantix special. Do they need Namor?
    Quote Originally Posted by MaximoffTrash View Post
    Well, I am more disappointed with the fact another fictional civilization got scrapped to some extent.
    They kinda did that with the Deviants by reducing them to pretty much mindless monsters.
    As for Atlanteans, they could still retain some of their more unique features I guess, I always see Marvel's Atlantis/Lemuria as something more occult than DC's version, making them directly tied with real world culture may cause the creators to hold back on the weirdness factor.
    Namor's own ethnicity can be whatever since that just depends on his human dad.
    Yeah, re-reading the Eternals comics, the movies really did the Deviants dirty by making them all (except Kro) just mindless predators instead of a rich and diverse culture all their own. They didn't really need the Eternals to turn on each other to create a conflict.
    Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    unpopular opinion but having the first movie be about a "secret advanced country in africa" and then having the second movie be about "secret advanced country in south america" is just... boring.

    But this movie died when Chadwick did so whatever.

    Namor fans will forget all about the origin when Namor gets his ass kicked by two tech nerds.
    Yeah, unless they heavily nerf Namor or contrive some silly solution to beating him, I'm having a hard time buying anyone in the next movie being able to take Namor down.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    Atlanteans haven't always been Hispanic?
    I always figured that the blue skin was some kind of racists coloring thing.
    Native Americas are red skinned.
    Asians are yellow skinned.
    Hispanic are blue skinned.

    Was I wrong all this time?
    I always thought it was because they were aquatic people.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drops Of Venus View Post
    Congratulations to Namor on potentially being the MCU's first slutty superhero! If anyone was gonna break the mold, it needed to be him with a speedo.
    Trying to outdo all the Jason Momoa fanservice. Then again MCU mostly serves male fanservice these days, so I'm not surprised .

    This reminds me how much they toned down Sersi's personality in Eternals.

  4. #6844
    Fantastic Member LukeCagefan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2021
    Posts
    271

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KurtW95 View Post
    MCU producers who think they know better than the comic book creators from over 50 years ago, who made these characters lasting in the first place, never cease to amaze me with their arrogance.
    The arrogance of the MCU stans are even worse.

  5. #6845
    Incredible Member Maestro 216's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    763

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    yup, queue the millions of tweets, youtube vids, and think pieces that say "SJW's have run amok" and "go woke go broke" bullshit
    The M SHE U is promoting "The Message" and erasing comic accuracy for social justice blah blah blah.

  6. #6846
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2,554

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rincewind View Post
    If Namor doesn't blow up like a puffer fish, then Kevin Feige is literally pissing on Jack Kirby's grave.

    https://www.cbr.com/namor-fantastic-...e-puffer-fish/

    Or we can realize that not everything from the comics was gold, and modern adaptions can be a little choosey in what they bring to the screen.
    Hehe I did not know he expanded like a puffer fish. But you make a good point. Everyone has a certain idea about the way a character should be. No one wants Blade running around like he did in tomb of Dracula do they? And Im sure all of us could point to a million examples like that.

  7. #6847
    see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    3,683

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LukeCagefan View Post
    The arrogance of the MCU stans are even worse.
    lmao, exactly

    Quote Originally Posted by Maestro 216 View Post
    The M SHE U is promoting "The Message" and erasing comic accuracy for social justice blah blah blah.
    lol, I haven't seen that one yet.

    Also there's barely any female characters in the MCU in the first place!

  8. #6848
    Better than YOU! Alan2099's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    5,514

    Default

    I thought it was fairly obvious that "Hispanic people are colored blue" was a joke.

    The fact that so many of you thought I was telling the truth actually worries me.

  9. #6849
    Keeper of the Torch Ravin' Ray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Where the Diwatas and the Triumph Division live
    Posts
    8,047
    Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 /Tangled/G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero/Transformers G1 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "ヒロ、お前を信じてる。" タダシ、『ベイマックス』。
    "You were my my new dream." "And you were mine." Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel.
    "Knowing is half the battle."
    G.I. Joe.
    Know the CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

  10. #6850

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Maestro 216 View Post
    The M SHE U is promoting "The Message" and erasing comic accuracy for social justice blah blah blah.
    You can say this in a mocking tone all you want, but that doesn't make it untrue.

  11. #6851
    Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    4,400

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ravin' Ray View Post
    I really want this show to be a musical. WandaVision was such a good experiment on Marvel trying to do something outside the box, and I feel like Agatha All Along was the kind of campy fun we would never have in any other Marvel show. And let's be real, the song's success is probably one of the reasons why Agatha is even getting a spin-off. I hope their takeaway from it is that they need to go all in on that kind of stuff.

  12. #6852
    Invincible Member MindofShadow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    20,896

    Default

    Takai is seemingly KILLING the action sequences again. They were awesome in Ragnorak and this looks promising.

    The visual of keeping most of Gorr in black/white is gonna be sick if they use it right.

    Gorr doesn' tlook like Gorr but he does look rather menacing

    Who gave him the sword? He has his own world?... are they teasing Knull? Will we get god bomb esque stuff?

    I am going to miss the time travel aspect of the comic though. That really made Gorr seem like a timeless, ever ending threat. But alas.


    So... which "known" god dies so this is somewhat personal to thor anyway. I mean. Zeus is F'd but we just met him, who cares hes a red shirt lol. I can't seem them killing Valkryie so... who gonna die man? Its the God Butcher, he has to butcher. Too bad they killed off almost all of Thor's supporting cast already. What is Sif doing lol?
    Black Panther Appreciation Blog: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.com/

    T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

  13. #6853
    Astonishing Member Kingdom X's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Posts
    3,085

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    Takai is seemingly KILLING the action sequences again. They were awesome in Ragnorak and this looks promising.

    The visual of keeping most of Gorr in black/white is gonna be sick if they use it right.

    Gorr doesn' tlook like Gorr but he does look rather menacing

    Who gave him the sword? He has his own world?... are they teasing Knull? Will we get god bomb esque stuff?

    I am going to miss the time travel aspect of the comic though. That really made Gorr seem like a timeless, ever ending threat. But alas.


    So... which "known" god dies so this is somewhat personal to thor anyway. I mean. Zeus is F'd but we just met him, who cares hes a red shirt lol. I can't seem them killing Valkryie so... who gonna die man? Its the God Butcher, he has to butcher. Too bad they killed off almost all of Thor's supporting cast already. What is Sif doing lol?
    Ayo not Sif being brought back just to die.

  14. #6854
    Incredible Member Maestro 216's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    763

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ClassicalComics View Post
    You can say this in a mocking tone all you want, but that doesn't make it untrue.
    If you feel like this and don't like these movies you can not watch them. I am disappointed with Phase 4, but I still want to see Thor and see how it turns out.

  15. #6855
    Invincible Member MindofShadow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    20,896

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post
    Ayo not Sif being brought back just to die.
    The actress name is on the poster.....


    LOL
    Black Panther Appreciation Blog: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.com/

    T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •